Default how often to change behive springs

how often should i change my behive springs on imca motor with 6400 chip????

6400 chip rule the springs will last as long as the engine

we have our late model customers turning 7000 (NOT recommended) but they do------and we will commonly put the same springs right back on after 40 to 50 races when they come in for freshen

we HIGHLY recommend pulling the valve covers weekly ---no matter what RPM you run and inspecticting the keepers and top coil of the valve spring----visually look over everything ---NO need to take anything apart or make any adjustments just look for things that don't look the same

Brad
    www.race-1.com

That's the same thing brad has told me when Ive asked.. I was hoping he would chime in I don't like to speak for someone.

Ive checked mine at 60 nights and no loss of pressure. My understanding is they are ls motor springs and over kill for our application.

4 things tax a valve spring

Lift
    valve weight
    RPM
    Heat

The blue bee hive spring currently used on the 604 is designed for---
    more lift than what we use
    same valve weight as what we use
    more RPM than what we use

so that leaves us with heat-----
    heat is the enemy of many engine components including valve springs
    in "most" cases if we created enough heat to hurt the springs something else will show its ugly face first

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Thanks Brad I share your advice on this all the time. Some guys around me are listening to the parts salesman and changing these springs at 10 nights!

that is insane

I think that will make them MORE likely to have a failure
    once those keepers get locked onto the valve they want to stay put----busting them loose every 10 races is only going to cause them to crack and I'll bet that they are NOT replacing keepers every 10 races as the cost is $5 EACH not a pair but EACH---that's $160 for a set and that is dealer cost not retail

we are working with GM to get that price adjusted but as with anything in a big company it takes time

Brad
    www.race-1.com

correct, that to me seems like recipe for failure! I would not want to touch mine unless mandatory.

That is why the guys that actually ask me directly, I tell them what you've told me and refer them to you if they don't believe me and I explain to them that you've dealt with hundreds of these engines vs shops around here who have just started seeing them the last two years