Default Big Time Dirt Late Model Flip At La Salle

During one of the heat races last night at La Salle Speedway Ryan Unzicker took a nasty tumble at La Salle. He was making his way to the front after getting tangled up early in his heat and was making up ground fast on the high side and appeared to get into 3 a little hot and got all 4 in the fluff. The right side dug in and he took a jolting ride from there and ended up on his top.

He appeared somewhat shaken but thankfully he was okay, but the car? Not so much.

Just wondered if there was any video of that incident floating around anywhere.

photos on fb on 24s page

What a roller coaster of a week for him! Hope he's okay...equipment can be replaced, drivers can't.

We are good friends with one of the wrecker operators that righted the racecar and he said Ryan was okay and got out of the car and walked away without assistance.

This was as bad of a dirt late model flip as we've seen in quite a while. Glad only equipment was damaged.

Thanks to Bob Pierce Race Cars for building a safe race car!

Joe Harlan had a bad flip at FALS too. Destroyed his car. Video on YouTube. They have trashed a lot of cars at FALS recently.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothoperator32 View Post
    Thanks to Bob Pierce Race Cars for building a safe race car!
    i my self would not have said that at least bout 4 seasons ago. Halo collapse on a driver I use to help..... hopefully there is never any thing like that with any chassis brand!

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousNate View Post
    i my self would not have said that at least bout 4 seasons ago. Halo collapse on a driver I use to help..... hopefully there is never any thing like that with any chassis brand!
    bobbys had a couple of nasy flips (tazewell and lincoln) car held up very well both times. I know at a lucas oil race the officials will come over to inspect the halo for one

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousNate View Post

In my opinion anytime the halo collapses I feel that a manufacturer uses thin wall tubing... Which will definitely get a driver hurt or killed....
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

I would never consider there to be any guarantee against a halo collapsing despite design and/or thickness of tubing. If just the right force is exerted in just the right area, anything can happen. Most rules won't allow bracing in areas that would significantly enhance the integrity of the chassis' halo area because you can't "exit out the right side" of the car. I don't know who could ever squeeze their butt between the halo and interior that's only 12" away, but the rule makers seem to think you can.

FALS is averaging probably 1 flip a night this year