Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what is your lsa at, you may have this very tight, and not allowing the valves to close in time before, next cycle

It would be the overlap of the valves, to tight, not allowing valves enough time to close and open,

Totally irrelevant...........

Back together, got rid of the Jesel Belt Drive ( had .050) backlash , back to double roller, new dampner.
    The fuel in it was apparently mixed with maybe some generator gas ( hydrometered .740) and the fuel that was supposed to be in it hyrometers at .715, drained and refilled with straight race fuel.
    Changed from race pump fuel pump to conventional ProCam 6 valve.
    33 degrees timing, we'll see what happens at Santa Maria

Here we go again, 4th time.
    3rd quick qualifying, won the heat, lead lap 2-8 in the main, then dead hole.

Ran fine the week before, but was a half throttle dry slick track.
    This week hooked up hammer down !

Hey Dave question being the my cam is about the same lift as yours real close to 0.600 I doubt that the spring is coil binding my springs are capable of running well over 0.600 lift so I have way more room to go. As far as pressures I am #150 the seat and in the upper #400's on the nose spring pressures shouldn't be an issue either. My question is is do you know the actual quality of your keepers yes they may pass manufacture tests for standard just a maybe the same ones are always what works however is the metal actually quality enough to stand what you're putting it through in this case to be a bad batch? Is there an issue where the metal may be softer than normal or possibly too brittle? I'm just curious if you're fighting an actual product failure rather than pushing the limit too far, like I said I know I'm running pretty high pressures and I know for what we are turning we shouldn't have issues same time one thing comes to my mind is an actual product failure.

Ps: Sorry for my bad grammar and punctuation. I did this via voice text at 5:15 this morning. LOLOL
    Last edited by DANNY; 10-06-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

who set up your rocker stand heights?
    are there any shims under the rocker stands?
    looks like your keepers are soft, or the wrong kind for the valve cut.
    what brand are your valves, and keepers? I am thinking one of the 2 are too soft. looks like it is pushing the valve threw the keeper.
    might also look and make sure the roller on tip on that rocker arms is not flat spotted, and still rolls properly.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

had something similar happen with s.s.valves and cast heads, guides where sticking the valves a bit and the two where slapping together and hammering parts, had bronze guides installed and no problem, might be something to check.

Everything mentioned will contribute to valve train problems, but, like I said in my post, the lock should NEVER slide up the valve stem unless the parts aren't right for each other. I've personally seen this on 2 occasions, one had 10 degree locks on 8 degree (Super 7) retainers, and the other was a bad set of retainers (soft). Paint the inside of the retainer taper with a magic marker, assemble it with the locks on the valve, twist it to check the fit, if it doesn't take the marker away the full length, the taper is wrong, and, the parts should stick together if the taper is close enough to each other.TB

Have you contacted crower for that part number retainer and purchased the recommended locks? Are they for the right valve size?

Looks in that pic like the retainers are made for a smaller valve.

I would be measuring the valve to verify with my own eyes.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Thanks for the info, the investigation continues

Ask over at speedtalk.com. Find the 'engine tech' forum. Lots of engine guru's over there.

www.speedtalk.com

Looks like 10* locks on a super 7 retainer.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    Looks like 10* locks on a super 7 retainer.
    when we did that it started to pull the locks through the retainer

I saw this happen twice at the beginning of this season, on the same engine. Builder blamed the valve the first time, but 2nd time it got sent elsewhere. Had 10 degree retainers with 7 degree locks. Very costly mistake as it took out 2 sets of Ti valves and 2 pistons. This was done by a well known "reputable" builder in Missouri.

looks like those 2 locks are missing the humps

apparently the valve did hit the piston and is bent .
    but plenty of clearance, must have happened after the keeper deal

Sent head to HVH for autopsy, well see what happens

this is what HVH said today:

We found one problem with the assembly. The retainers are .040" bigger than the ID of the outer spring, which is causing a press fit. This may be causing your problem, but it is hard to say for sure. We do feel that the spring pressure is a little weak on the seat and a little heavy open. Depending on the cam profile, this may not be an issue.