COLUMBUS, MS – Evan Ellis of Plantersville, MS held off challengers on the high side and challengers on the low side, in heavy lapped traffic and in clear track conditions to win the 40-lap NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series May 24 Make-Up Feature on Saturday night at Magnolia Motor Speedway driving the Ellis Welding Special.

Ellis led the first ten laps of the race before Justin McRee of Woodstock, AL sailed around him on the high side to take the lead in the High Rollers Race Cars Special. In heavy lapped traffic, Ellis drove back underneath McRee on lap 17, and then held off McRee and Mike Boland of Cuba, AL in the Boland Performance Trak-Star for three restarts to pull away and take the win.

“Justin caught me in lapped traffic on the high side to take the lead away from me and I noticed the lapped cars were a little faster than me on the high side,” Ellis said. “When the caution flag came out and I had clear race track in front of me, I changed grooves and got up in the brown stuff on the outside.”

McRee held off the inside running Boland for the second spot, and Boland came home in third. Chase Edge of LaFayette, AL drove the Edge’s Gas Company Special to a fourth-place finish, and the defending and two time NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series National Champion Ronnie Johnson of Chattanooga, TN taking the fifth spot.

Johnson started 12th in the NeSmith Chevrolet Special and earned the Beyea Headers Hard Charger of the Race Award. Two-time NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series National Champion Eric Cooley of Fulton, MS was sixth in the Bryson Motorsports/Cooley Transport Special.

Matt Henderson of Loudon, TN drove the Rebel Diesel Rocket #H2 Duayne Hommel Tribute Car to a seventh-place finish and was the Cruise With The Champions Rookie of the Race. Ryan King of Seymour, TN finished eighth in the Brian King Roofing Stinger, and Jamey Boland of Cuba, AL was ninth in the Boland Performance Trak-Star. Ashley Newman of Ripley, TN rounded out the top ten in the Greg’s Sawmill Special.

The preliminary events for the race were held on May 24 when Mike Boland out-timed the 41-car field with a lap around the 3/8-mile clay oval in 14. 241 seconds. The two 15-lap B-Main Races were won by Cooley and Johnson.

After Round 18 of the 2015 NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series season, Johnson now holds a 96-point lead over King in the National point standings. Edge holds the third spot and trails King by 32 points, and has a 12 points advantage over the fourth-place driver Henderson.

Ellis and McRee started the 40-lap main event from the outside second and fourth spots respectively, and beat polesitter Mike Boland off the second turn. Ellis led lap one with McRee outside of him in second. Boland was third followed by Henderson and Kyle Shaw of Millport, AL in the Sweddenberg Logging Trak-Star.

Henderson got to the inside of Boland on lap four to take over the third spot, and Ryan Crane of Panama City, FL passed Shaw for the fifth spot on lap seven. Ellis had caught the cars on the tail end of the lead lap by lap nine. With lapped cars running both the high and low grooves of the track, Ellis had to make the first choice on how to get around them, while McRee waited for an opening on the high side.

McRee was able to pin Ellis behind the inside running lapped car of Randall Beckwith of Kilmichael, MS in the Beckwith Forestry Service Special on lap 11 to take the lead. Ellis stayed on the bottom groove and kept McRee in sight while he ran the top shelf of the race track.

Ellis found the opening he needed on lap 17, and he drove underneath McRee to reclaim the point coming off the second turn. By this time, most of the lapped traffic began to run the high side of the track where McRee was trying to gain momentum.

The lapped traffic issue took care of itself on lap 30 when Michael Blount of Sumrall, MS hit the front straightaway wall to bring out the first caution flag of the race. Doubled up behind Ellis for the “Dixie-Style” Double-File Restart was McRee, Boland, Henderson, Edge, Shaw, Jamey Boland, Cooley, Johnson and Newman in the top ten. McRee choose the outside for the restart.

A pair of Sunoco Young Guns Challenge Series drivers, 15-year-old Bryant Marsh of Corinth, MS in the Modern Woodmen Trak-Star and 17-year-old Josh Banes of Learned, MS in the Diversified Pest Management Special got together in turn two on the restart to relight the caution bulb. The next restart saw Crane hit the third turn wall for the third caution flag of the race.

On the first two restarts, McRee chose the outside, but Ellis also took the high line on the restarts. For the third try, McRee took the inside line for the restart. Ellis sailed out to a five car length advantage and was never challenged the rest of the way to take a 1.566 second margin of victory at the checkered flag for the $2,000 top prize and his second series career win.

The NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series returns to Magnolia Motor Speedway on Sunday night for another 40-lap $2,000 race, Round 19 of the 2015 season.

For more information and rules about the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series, visit the series web site at www.nesmithracing.com, or visit the series on Facebook at NeSmith Racing. Becoming a fan of the NeSmith Racing Facebook page will make you eligible for special prizes that will be given away each month. You can follow us on Twitter @NeSmithRacing.