Default LS engines in dirt late models?

How many racers in dirt late models are running these engines? I have read some articles on guys building engines for late models. I know that you can't run a lot these engines because of the coil packs. I was just wanting to know how guys were doing with these type of engines and their cost

The CT525 crate is an LS platform. There are quite a few pavement guys running LS engines. The coil packs are a non-issue.

They can't keep them together yet in drag racing. So I say nope need more time before they make a good endurance motor

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    The CT525 crate is an LS platform. There are quite a few pavement guys running LS engines. The coil packs are a non-issue.
    Coil packs are illegal in some dirt late model sanctions

There is a kit that can be bought to convert it to a distributor.

The coil pack rules have been changed in many of the organizations. They are a non-issue anymore
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    They can't keep them together yet in drag racing. So I say nope need more time before they make a good endurance motor
    I disagree with that statement at least as far a drag racing: The biggest issue is with the stock rocker set up, change to a decent shaft set up and there is little problems out of them.

With typical rod/piston and rocker change and other slight upgrades, they hold up fine. We have one at 1054HP at the rear wheels (1300HP at crank) even with a stock crank offset ground to Honda rod journals (not NA but Twin turbo).

Obviously I wouldn't recommend a stock crank at those levels but the parts are reasonably durable.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 09-12-2015 at 02:16 PM.

While I am no big Chevy fan I will say that the LS platform is pretty impressive…. great horsepower numbers with a pretty stout lower engine.

ASCS has a LS based engine under development right now. Some where around 725hp. The alum ls blocks are far cheaper than what brodix sells.

after blowing 2 motors at our first 2 races of the season, we went and bought the CT-525 and have been travelling all over the Southeast racing limited late model races and have followed the Ultimate Super Late model series with it as well as raced the Carolina Clash with it. It's an excellent motor and we only turn ours 7200 which is programmable with a laptop.

LS motors will blow away any old school small block. My stock 5.3 liter has 350 horse on gas and 380 on e85. 6 bolt mains, aluminum block and heads stock. Aluminum oil pan, composite intake, roller cam, roller fulcrum rockers. We bought a used motor from the junk yard with 100,000 miles on it for 350$ and upon tear down it had zero ridge on the cylinders and the hone marks could still be seen in the walls. Won't find that in any old 350.

Lucas Oil Rule 12.11.G:
    No engines using coil packs are allowed. Engine must operate using a single distributor. No distributor-less engines allowed.

UMP/WoO Rule 15.1.F:
    Only a single distributor and magneto will be permitted. Coil pack and/or engines that have individual ignition systems, electronic or mechanical for each cylinder will not be permitted.

I did a Google search before posting this topic and found these articles.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-model-engine/

http://www.onedirt.com/news/taking-a...l-race-engine/

I was wanting to know if anyone had these engines and how they are performing. The biggest problems look like the crankshaft and the rocker arms, but they have solutions for them.

We had one in our 72 c10 that was on 8 lbs of boost and was 7-800 horse with stock crank, rods, pistons, rockers etc , no failures. These will eventually replace the small block. Don't be afraid of trying one, other than the flywheel/ couplers being different. Go to ls1-tech .com to learn the basics of these motors

Quote Originally Posted by TRocket8 View Post
    I did a Google search before posting this topic and found these articles.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-model-engine/

http://www.onedirt.com/news/taking-a...l-race-engine/

I was wanting to know if anyone had these engines and how they are performing. The biggest problems look like the crankshaft and the rocker arms, but they have solutions for them.
    Those guys did that a long time ago before the LS deal was even a consideration for Super Lates. If I am not mistaken, it was a big ordeal over the coil packs and they built a front cover for it that uses a distributor. Dart came out with LS Next a few years ago so a block option is now available.