Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kentucky Lake Ceases Operations Permanently

Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway to Cease Operations

CALVERT CITY, Kentucky – Clover Leaf Realty, LLC has announced that it will cease operations at Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway in Marshall County and end its season early, effective immediately. In 2014, the Commonwealth of Kentucky gave notice that its reconstruction of the I-24/Purchase Parkway Interchange for the I-69 corridor would take much of the real property used to operate the racetrack. After communicating with state officials, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet filed a condemnation lawsuit in Marshall Circuit Court to take the racetrack property by eminent domain in July.
    The lawsuit has cast a cloud over the 2015 race season and future of the facility. On Monday, September 21, the Court granted the Commonwealth’s motion for an interlocutor order to take the land. The approximately 36 acres being taken encompasses the racetrack’s pit area, maintenance building, ticket office and scales, rendering the racetrack’s utilities inoperable. This prompted the racetrack owners to make the hard decision to close the racetrack and end the season early. “We did the best we could, but the state’s taking of our property has really left us with very few options,” said co-owner, Ronnie Jones.
    Hopkinsville businessmen, Ronnie Jones and Jim Hale, purchased the racetrack in 2013 with the stated intention of working hard and making it a great track again. KLMS was slated to end the season with a reprisal of the Commonwealth Cup headlined by the NeSmith Chevrolet Dirt Late Model Series on October 23rd and 24th. Also lost was an appearance by the United States Auto Club Aimsoil National Sprint cars scheduled for October 17th. “Our employees, fans and sponsors have been great, and we want to thank them for everything,” said co-owner, Jim Hale.
    The points championship fund will still be paid in all weekly divisions. However, a decision on the number of races required was yet to be made at the time of this release. KLMS officials will announce the final decision for the championships in the coming weeks. More information can be found at kylakespeedway.com

im sorry but eminent domain is a bunch of bullchit...free country my a$$...you never seem to own any property, even though it may be paid off...miss paying your taxes and they'll show u who it really belongs to..
    powerslave

There is more to the story than being told in the media. Just speculation but I have feeling this was the plan from the beginning.

Look at the car counts...writing was on the wall.

Regardless of the circumstances you hate to see this. I only got to race there once in either the second or third year of the track's existence. I've always wanted to make it back but couldn't logistically make it a reality. Dwindling car counts certainly couldn't have helped their efforts either. I hope the racers that supported the track can pick up at Paducah or another track. Good luck to everyone involved!

Is he getting more money than he paid for it? If not, it was another mistake at the lake!

This place has had the smell of death for a long time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post

Ive got to agree with you Gary it has been going down hill for many years now....
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty55 View Post
    Ive got to agree with you Gary it has been going down hill for many years now....
    When there 3 times the first year it opened...Was a nice track...After the first year or two it was down hill till now....

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Is he getting more money than he paid for it? If not, it was another mistake at the lake!
    The state or the feds are taking it for a highway project. The owner had no choice.

In 2014, the Commonwealth of Kentucky gave notice that its reconstruction of the I-24/Purchase Parkway Interchange for the I-69 corridor would take much of the real property used to operate the racetrack. After communicating with state officials, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet filed a condemnation lawsuit in Marshall Circuit Court to take the racetrack property by eminent domain in July.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbubbafordsmith View Post
    By the CW, by the lake!! Didn't you learn anything from Litey???
    Litey would have said that!! morriiisssssssss!!!

Make at track a smaller action packed medium banked 1/3 miler and put the pits next to the backstretch.

Quote Originally Posted by deez lug nuts View Post
    Make at track a smaller action packed medium banked 1/3 miler and put the pits next to the backstretch.
    The city has fought against the track ever since it has been there. The town government does not want it there and never has. It has been one thing after another and one rule after another. For a long time it was because of the noise. Really?? It sits right beside I-24. This was just a way, along with the state, to finally put the nail in the coffin. Just shows that you own nothing. I got some friends that had their land and house taken by the state for a road. They took it all except a 1/4 of an acre that is land-locked but they are still required to pay taxes on that 1/4 acre.

Quote Originally Posted by shagger View Post
    The city has fought against the track ever since it has been there. The town government does not want it there and never has. It has been one thing after another and one rule after another. For a long time it was because of the noise. Really?? It sits right beside I-24. This was just a way, along with the state, to finally put the nail in the coffin. Just shows that you own nothing. I got some friends that had their land and house taken by the state for a road. They took it all except a 1/4 of an acre that is land-locked but they are still required to pay taxes on that 1/4 acre.
    Why do they keep that 1/4 acre? Sell it to the state and be done with that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by shagger View Post
    my dad lost some property the same way, but the state did give him a good chunk of change, he paid off the rest of my Condo with it!! ty dad&mom

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    But at least now we all get a trophy for participating and the 4 m hall monitors and crossing guards all got new neon pink safety vests.

Win, win.......

That smell of death your talking about is the rat that crawled up under huckys containment seat and died while its been parked in the garage forever.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by deez lug nuts View Post
    Why do they keep that 1/4 acre? Sell it to the state and be done with that mess.
    The state didnt want that 1/4 acre they just wanted the rest. I have told them just dont pay it, what are the going to do?

ACE96 is right, there is more to this story. I will say this, the reason it went to court, is because they were not going to get paid as much as what they thought they were when they bought it. This I69 thing did not just come up. It's been in the works for a long time.
    Last edited by 2muchstagger; 09-26-2015 at 06:12 AM.

I was told 2 years ago this was going to happen. They gambled on making a nice profit from the state and lost. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by STRONGERTHANDIRT View Post
    I was told 2 years ago this was going to happen. They gambled on making a nice profit from the state and lost. Simple as that.
    These guys are businessmen. They probably didn't get where they are by losing $$$. They supposedly paid less than a million for 400 acres give or take close to the Interstate. They are going to receive $510,000.00 for 36 acres. That is a good chunk of change and also leaves several acres to develop, sell off if they wish. The stands can be sold, the heavy equipment, generator etc. Something tells me in the long run the owners will be ok. I'm sure they knew about this situation on the day of the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by budmuufin View Post
    These guys are businessmen. They probably didn't get where they are by losing $$$. They supposedly paid less than a million for 400 acres give or take close to the Interstate. They are going to receive $510,000.00 for 36 acres. That is a good chunk of change and also leaves several acres to develop, sell off if they wish. The stands can be sold, the heavy equipment, generator etc. Something tells me in the long run the owners will be ok. I'm sure they knew about this situation on the day of the auction.
    By the way has anybody heard that Dolly Parton might be interested in a development near Calvert City?