Default Jason Rauen's huge engine failure

I think this is the biggest, loudest and craziest engine failure I have ever seen. It was like he couldn't get it shut off or it was dieseling and then the pan split open and oil was hitting the headers and igniting. Needless to say he was done for the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The car somehow went into reverse. And the noise was from all the popping of parts as he was putting it into gear. The official was telling him to get out of the car as the flames were going. Jason told him his car was engaged and would continue to drive forward. Jason said he will not get out of car until it was completely out of gear to come to a complete stop.

To bad, Rauen is fast in everything he races, just needs to learn how to keep it straight. Not a knock on him, he just doesn't put consistant laps together.

I saw it, I was actually walking on the bottom of the stands and noticed a pretty fire. I have been to a lot of races in my life and that was just ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by MUD MAESTRO View Post
    To bad, Rauen is fast in everything he races, just needs to learn how to keep it straight. Not a knock on him, he just doesn't put consistant laps together.
    MUD I asked his pit guy if Jason ever thought about Drag racing? He said why? I told him then he doesn't have to turn. He laughed. Jason can flat out fly down the straight away.

maybe off topic, but I saw billy moyer detonate a motor in a race at the iowa state fair (eventually won by joe kosiski in a classic battle with jeff aikey) that resulted in a nasty fire. If I remember correctly, moyer had a fire suppression system that smothered the flames.

if this memory is correct, do current racers use a similar system?

MotoMatt: after Jason was out of the car, I joked with my dad that he didn't get it all. they still needed kitty litter where he stopped!
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

I think they have a quick release fire extinguisher where you just flip a switch and the car douses itself with fire retardant. If they don't they should. I think NASCAR and NHRA have them installed in their cars.