Default USRA meeting tonight in Effingham Il

There is an informational meeting tonight in Effingham to hear problems from area track concerning lack of rules,teching etc from UMP. USRA has concerns about the future of racing in Cen Ill so they have set up this meeting to feel out promoters and racers alike.
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

good news ! they offer better options than UMP and they are not forcing racers into crates, plus they run a lower priced harder tire bring it on.

any news on how the meeting went ?

anyone on 4m attend and have details?

It is tiresome to see these threads about Central Illinois tracks/promoters looking for a different sanctioning body. I simply don't believe there are that many promoters looking to make that change. (If there were, we would have likely see a much greater response to this thread) I feel it is a few disgruntled folks who have an axe to grind trying to start something. What is worse is that when I do see these posts...most of the basis of argument to change is how much $$$ the Mod guys would save by changing to a different sanctioning body. OK so let's take a look:

What little I know about USRA lends me to believe that it is not that much different than UMP; Sirleafalot stated that they have a cheaper tire. I checked: USRA mandates one of two choices (much like UMP/Hoosier) of the American Racing Tire G60 or KK704. Both tires list at $112 each. Hoosiers new A40-S can be readily purchased for $125 each. Not sure how many nights each tire would get you, but I am sure it is negligible depending on how many tires you go through each season. I guess the USRA guys would see a few hundred dollars of savings if they raced every weekend. However, the closest American Racing Tire Distributor to Central Illinois Drivers is in Independence, IA which would be about 5-7 hour drive for most. Hoosiers are pretty readily available in our area.

Motors: SCP is advertising the USRA / USMTS Spec Motor for $14,995 -- Mullins Race Engines is advertising three options for UMP Mods ranging from $11,995 to $16,500. Therefore I see no real savings here either. Besides, it seems there are enough good engine builders out there right now who are "freshening" motors for less money than new ones and many drivers are going that route.

Chassis: from what I can see, most every sanctioning body uses "nearly" identical chassis specs for Open Wheel Modifieds. There are actually several chassis builders throughout the Midwest and Southeast, giving drivers a nice choice to choose from. Therefore, this is not an area to save $$$ by switching sanctioning either.

The bottom line is this; unless I'm missing something, I am not sure what the incentive would be for a track promoter in Central Illinois to change to USRA. By doing so would force drivers to change motors by what I read. This is would be far more expensive than paying a little more for a tire. The drivers I am most familiar with race several different tracks each year. Unless a multitude of promoters jump ship at one time, why would only one or two change only to find themselves out on a Island with only a limited number of race teams to come each week?

Don't get me wrong, UMP may not be perfect, but what sanctioning body is? From what I see and read USRA does a fine job with their program. But let's face it; Dirt Track Racing is a Regional Sport. USRA has their states that they function in just like UMP does. But...remember....The Grass is NOT always GREENER on the other side. Work with what you have to make it better. I just don't see this kind of change in the near future.
    Last edited by DirtDirtCrazy; 10-21-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Biggest problem in ump in my opinion is the Tire.........

I think there are more people interested than you think. People are worried about the repercussions of speaking there mind, from the existing sanctioning body.

I am not trying to be confrontation, but, I still highly doubt there are very many Central Illinois promoters interested in this kind of change. If there were, this meeting that took place over 2 weeks ago would have stirred a whole lot more discussion, interest, and opinion. Do I think UMP needs to do a better job in some areas? Heck yes! But again, I want to reiterate that no sanctioning body is perfect. My guess is that if you talk with enough USRA guys, you would find some who are unhappy about something. Just saying.

DirtDirt, I speak for Bmods and YES there are people interested as UMP is FORCING people to go to crates and it is not something that a lot of racers want to do. USRA while not perfect is light year ahead of UMP in many respects. Would USRA solve all issues of course not. USRA runs ONE tire...their rules are out way before the season starts and they dont play regional games with tire compounds...those two things are already an upgrade over UMP. One more thing...you mention the USRA spec motor...thats an option but to run in USRA, it DOES NOT require an engine change. you can run USRA with your current UMP engine. No savings there but you dont have to buy a new engine to run. As Indy said the tire situation in UMP is an issues and going to USRa would bring a better tire that costs a little less and better for the class, and oh yeah USRA actually has tech people instead of what UMP does now which is no tech and they show up at big shows to measure body panel and act like they are doing something.
    Last edited by sirleafalot; 10-22-2015 at 10:42 AM.

there a lot of issues in the STL area, ump had to come in soothe the bmod crowd because of complaints about rule changes last year and I am hearing this year is not gonna go much better. I hope promoters are paying attention, the way I see it ump is doing nothing for the future mods in general. The A40S mess last season did not help. what is ump doing ? not much....
    Promoters should be looking at the future and deciding what sanction offers the best deal including rules for the classes. usra is far from perfect but better than ump...Certainly, in fact there was a usra tech guy on this board a few months talking about pros and cons..but even still waaaay better than ump.

I think there are some good talking points here. I acknowledge that UMP has some issues that need to be addressed and improved upon. Dirt Track Racing is a 3 way street between Drivers - Promoters - Sanctioning Body. The only way for it to improve is actually communicate with each other all at the same time. What is at stake is the future of Dirt Track Racing everywhere. Good relationships will yield positive results.

sadly I have not heard from anyone that attended the meeting....would be good to find out what went down.

Backspace..any update on the meeting ?

Happy to say that UMP is here to stay! Truth is that the promoters and drivers aren't unhappy with UMP and all this is about is a few little crybabies trying to put put their propaganda!
    I absolutely know what I am talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by $UMP$ View Post
    Happy to say that UMP is here to stay! Truth is that the promoters and drivers aren't unhappy with UMP and all this is about is a few little crybabies trying to put put their propaganda!
    everyone is unhappy with you $UMP$, spewing your nonsense on 4m you do not race, so it makes no difference what sanction the tracks run. go back to working on the 36L so that it will be ready to race next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sirleafalot View Post
    Backspace..any update on the meeting ?
    check PM for update.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzxxx666 View Post
    everyone is unhappy with you $UMP$, spewing your nonsense on 4m you do not race, so it makes no difference what sanction the tracks run. go back to working on the 36L so that it will be ready to race next season.
    I and my crew work on my own cars, you on the other hand don't have a car to to work on! By the way you talk about Lomax you must have a secret crush on him!
    I absolutely know what I am talking about!

lol quit kidding well established but $UMP$ you have no car other than the 36L. If so prove it once and for all..
    You wont because you cannot. just more lies about not having to prove anything seen this one zillion times on 4m. you claim to run the Hill so why the furk are you on a post about usra for effingham ? does not concern you. go post about ump engines or some other bs, or better yet get back to work on the 36L before Jamie finds out you are posting on 4m

Backspace any news on how the meeting went ?