Default Penske Spring Rod

Anybody having any luck besides the national level guys?

Whaaaat where do you run this spring rod ? Would love to hear about this !

Quote Originally Posted by King1 View Post
    Anybody having any luck besides the national level guys?
    Which national level guys?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket5353 View Post
    Whaaaat where do you run this spring rod ? Would love to hear about this !
    Remember the old spring rods that replaced a suspension link? Same deal with a shock incorporated into it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Where would this be ran on the car? I assume on the left top rod?

Here is a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    Where would this be ran on the car? I assume on the left top rod?
    Depending on what you look to accomplish, about any of the links. Either top rod is common.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The theory behind running it on the top right bar used to be that you could reduce rear steer under acceleration (as the rod compressed) and tighten corner exit.
    I have my own "idea" on how I think it could help on top left bar to decrease the insane LR suspension stiffness that we experience when the cars are fully hiked. The ACTUAL shock isn't doing much of anything when the car is completely barred up and my theory is that running something like this on the top left bar might help with contact patch compliance on corner exit. No track is perfectly smooth so theoretically this could help with LR traction (i.e. drive) on corner exit, even in "slick" conditions. Again...I could be crazy but this is just something I've thought about.

Alright that's what I though it was , and I could most certainly see it working in both scenarios left too and right top, next question is what would be a decent spring rate , always ran a 650 on my NE modified

I could be wrong, but I believe Dirtcar outlawed these this year. Not that they check though.

Never tried one myself but I recall Doug McCammon having success way back when (around 2000) and he had one on the RR bottom. I would think it'd help take out roll steer (like Matt49 mentioned) but would increase load on the RR spring when the birdcage rotated forward at the bottom, as opposed to the opposite if on the RR upper. Not sure where you'd start with spring rate on the rod itself???

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Never tried one myself but I recall Doug McCammon having success way back when (around 2000) and he had one on the RR bottom. I would think it'd help take out roll steer (like Matt49 mentioned) but would increase load on the RR spring when the birdcage rotated forward at the bottom, as opposed to the opposite if on the RR upper. Not sure where you'd start with spring rate on the rod itself???
    I used to use one on the right top before the spring behind days. Mid 90s. 1000# spring
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    As we were the first dlm team to win a major dirt race with Penske shocks, we did a lot of r-n-d on the tracking dampner. We started out with it on the right top and then moved it to the right bottom. We had to have the body machined shorter, though, to make it fit. We tried it with ALL kinds of dampening inside and usually had the 1050 spring in it. Just could not find enough consistency with it, but that was before the spring behind days. I'm sure with all the new shock technology it could be made to work elsewhere.
    Lions don't worry when sheep try to copy their username.

A few local mods tried them on the RR lower a few years back and said when it was good...it was great but also when it was bad...it was real bad! These were not the Penske bars but just a rubber bushing pull bar.

Several guys use to run these on the left rear of a 3-link car years ago. Never made much of a difference.

Getting the valving right on the inside is the key.

On a 3 link mod, we had a lot of success using it on the RR. With a 650 spring, we would get about 3/8 " travel. It made a big difference when the track slicked off. Just keep it hid as most rules don't allow aluminum suspension parts on mods. That was our mistake!
    Lions don't worry when sheep try to copy their username.