Default Promoters/Demoters

Why is that some track promoters would rather demote thier track.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_guy View Post
    Why is that some track promoters would rather demote thier track.
    Or there business?????

Hucky, any insight here?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Good question! Some seem intent on gouging mercilessly and making sure everyone leaves mad.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Good question! Some seem intent on gouging mercilessly and making sure everyone leaves mad.
    And then they wonder why they only have 60 cars in the pits and 300 people in the stands.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

All businessmen aren't created equal. You can know everything there is to know about racing but not have the needed skills to promote properly. From a driver or fan's perspective racing is a sport, but the sad truth is that sports are part of the entertainment business and it takes a lot more then owning a track to be successful at it.

If you're putting on a show you need to understand that the drivers are your talent/performers and you can't treat them like crap and expect them to want to be part of your show. The same holds true for the customers, the race fan. In any entertainment business, especially in a small, niched segment like DLM, word of mouth will be the biggest part of your success or failure. The people that understand that are the ones that thrive and those that don't won't survive.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeX3 View Post
    All businessmen aren't created equal. You can know everything there is to know about racing but not have the needed skills to promote properly. From a driver or fan's perspective racing is a sport, but the sad truth is that sports are part of the entertainment business and it takes a lot more then owning a track to be successful at it.

If you're putting on a show you need to understand that the drivers are your talent/performers and you can't treat them like crap and expect them to want to be part of your show. The same holds true for the customers, the race fan. In any entertainment business, especially in a small, niched segment like DLM, word of mouth will be the biggest part of your success or failure. The people that understand that are the ones that thrive and those that don't won't survive.
    Pretty good stuff,on the money snake........

Promoters listen to fans' and racers' complaints, and that lets them know what needs working on, then they work on that.

Demoters, or track operators as I like to call them, listen to the same complaints, and do nothing about it. When that doesn't work out, it's the racers and fans that are the problem.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Promoters listen to fans' and racers' complaints, and that lets them know what needs working on, then they work on that.

Demoters, or track operators as I like to call them, listen to the same complaints, and do nothing about it. When that doesn't work out, it's the racers and fans that are the problem.
    New leader for post of the year!!!!!!

Somebody going to have to go a long way to beat this one.......

Don't forget about blaming social media too Josh, it's the demoters go to excuse now a days.

Something to add to this. Which track promoters do you guys consider good and bad and why?

Every employee has to be on the same page with the promoter. One bad apple will spoil the bunch.

This is a question I always ask in my promoter seminars. I want to hear you guys take on it.

Who are THE top 5 most important employees at your race track and why?

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Every employee has to be on the same page with the promoter. One bad apple will spoil the bunch.

This is a question I always ask in my promoter seminars. I want to hear you guys take on it.

The people taking tickets/money because they are your first impression/interaction with the track.

flagman controls on track activity

Scorer/receiver people in tower keeps things lined up.

Pit steward keeps classes rolling from one to the other.

Safety crew self explanatory

To me the promoter of a track is like a ref at a ballgame. If I don't know him by the end of the night he's done his job and I've got nothing to gripe about.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post

In no particular order......

The person in charge of concessions..........fans and teams want to eat affordable quality
    The person in charge of safety crew.........
    The flag man.......he is the conductor of the orchestra
    The person in charge of the grounds maintenance.....more diverse groups of people want to come and stay longer at a well kept clean facility.
    The person in charge of track prep.......good track lends itself to good racing

Dam, this was a difficult one.

I left out the promoter.....the marketing person( sometimes one in the same).....the security official....the person in charge of the money and payout and the tech man .

There is no wrong answer in my opinion. They are all important. They all have a job that is integral to your program. If someone else could do it you wouldn't have them. But I always ask the question to see how many include the one I am looking for. One that all too often promoters don't think about. (I think B-K has been to one of my seminars - lol)

The one I am always amazed that gets left out probably 9 out of 10 times is that person selling tickets at your gate.

For the most part that is the FIRST human contact that anyone will have with your facility. They have the FIRST opportunity to make an impression on your customers (what's that old saying about not having a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression?). If you have a crabby person who cannot answer questions or that doesn't greet you customers and make them feel welcome, you already WAY behind. And while the rest of their experience may make them feel better they will NEVER forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
    Something to add to this. Which track promoters do you guys consider good and bad and why?
    Several years ago I was talking to a buddy of mine that had been a promoter. He was talking about an old promoter that had done very well. I asked him what separated the successful promoters from the rest? He started his answer with a question. He asked me to name the three best promoters I could think of. I said Howard Tiedt, Wayne Webb Sr, and Bob Sargent. My friend said Wayne Webb Sr, Joe Shaheen and Howard Tiedt. He then said what separated them from the rest was they were fearless, they'd try anything (to attract fans).

Howard Tiedt (Santa Fe Speedway) was hands down the best promoter I've seen in 50+ years around the sport.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Nope 15 years in sales. People decide within the first few minutes generally if they are going to buy from you or not. Same thing at at track, store, restaurant a bad first impression is hard to overcome.

Plus we've got a mutual friend who shares the same opinion. You always need to listen to people who are good at what they do.

BBQ boy, was over in the Carolina's this past weekend/week. I tried out Lexington BBQ for the first time. It did not disappoint.

Spot on, B_K. In the days of social media, promoting can be done better with someone that can get the product out to more people. Now you can post to facebook, twitter, and instagram, and reach the vast majority of people that enjoy going to the races, and they can share it with others. However if the product does not prove to be outstanding, the likelihood of said "first timer" coming back may not be great.

As in any business your employees are more pardner than employee. If the business does well, you all get paid. If it doesn't do well, no one gets paid. The promoter / manager and their leadership skills are the most important part. It's with in your control, to hire happy people and encourage a welcoming nature instead of ordering, be nice or your fired. Say what you will, any business displays the personality of the Boss. That is your first, last and on going impression of your business. It will make you or break you.

Disagree to a point.

I know of several and work for one company, that if it displayed the personality of the boss would have been gone long ago.

A good company is one of two things. Ran by and worked in by people like you described, or owned by somebody who's surrounded himself with good people and is smart enough to get out of the way. Both can be effective and successful.