Default Rack Issue or Brake Rotor?

We got the car working well, and something happened to the Rack, or a brake rotor and he pancaked the wall... He told me the he hit the brakes and the car darts to the wall, and he cant turn the wheel left, it was like the rack locked up. He is plenty strong to turn the wheel with no PS as well.

Question is, if the RF locks up is the rack not strong enough to turn the wheel left? It would depend on how much traction was available to the tire i know, but is it possible?

He ran Florence several times, uses the brakes there a bit he says, no trouble. Ran Lawrenceburg and felt it do it once but thought he just hit something on the track, then hit the wall at a local 1/4 mile track (Moler Raceway).

IT was an expensive crash, so were trying to figure out what happened. The RF brake rotor was cracked in 2 places, but he hit the wall so hard i don't know if that wasn't done in the crash.

Brand new Sweet Rack and new rotors, not sure the brand, and new Calipers WW's. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, Joel.

Just say no...

Are the brake pads damaged on the side the rotor goes into the caliper? If so it could have been caused by the rotor cracking and grappling on the pad and locking the tire up. Which would cause the damage to the pads, or has in the past when a rear rotor broke on my car. If it locks up thay suddenly it would be hard to react in time to get the car turned back left before it hooks into the wall. Even if he left off the brakes and does get the wheel turned the rf could still possibly be locked up due to a piece of rotor being wedged in it. I'd replace the hub also. When mine broke I replaced the brake mount caliper and rotor and it happened again the next time out. Hub was apparently be nor tweaked a bit and would cause the rotor to crack.

Ive had a RF rotor crack and explode. When it did it broke the caliper and mounts as well as locked up that wheel and spun me around in an instant. You cant steer when the rf locks up and has load on it. It goes wherever it wants, usually veers right.

I actually stopped using superlite 2 calipers and the wave rotor because this kept happening, rocks gets jammed between the wave and caliper, it would explode the rotor wreck the hub and caliper, or the cross over tube would get smashed shut

The waved rotors is interesting, he was running that style.

Sounds like it was the Brake Rotor, dam...

Thanks all, Krom.

Just say no...

also wandering if he had the rf shut off at the time, and what kind of shutoff do you have, had the rf lock up when using a valve, it will start pulling to the right and get worse then snap on you.

have had trouble with drilled rotors also,i would check them alot,it went right to the wall
    if you drag the brake alot(which we do in the slick)it creates alot of heat
    Last edited by grt74; 10-13-2015 at 09:41 PM.

We also had a rock get jammed between a wave rotor and the wheel and it also exploded everything on the right front. Thought it was a one in a million shot. But now,maybe not.

If that's locked up instantly it would be difficult to respond in a chance to get the car converted returning before it hook varieties into the walls. Even if he remain off the braking system and does get the rim converted the RF could still probably be closed up due to a part of blades being wedged in it.

Buzz App | Buzz Apps | Twilio Services | SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin | Privacy Pro | Wifi Based App | Privacy Pro App
    Last edited by Blingmo; 10-10-2016 at 07:54 AM.