Thread: DTWC questions?

Default DTWC questions?

A few questions I have for the Dtwc purse. With Short raising the payout by 50g does that mean he's been pocketing 50g in past years or does that mean he expects to take a loss or does it mean some sponsor is helping out more? Also read where PRP only seats 4000 people and that got me thinking of all the years the Dream ran just the one 100k to win two day show and I'm guessing always had atleast 8000 spectators. Were they getting rich?

Now I know I'm thinking too much into this but how is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by cjp0354 View Post
    A few questions I have for the Dtwc purse. With Short raising the payout by 50g does that mean he's been pocketing 50g in past years or does that mean he expects to take a loss or does it mean some sponsor is helping out more? Also read where PRP only seats 4000 people and that got me thinking of all the years the Dream ran just the one 100k to win two day show and I'm guessing always had atleast 8000 spectators. Were they getting rich?

No more coffee for you. Take two aspirin and sleep it off.
    "The Wise One"

Let's play spot the liberal!

Money wise I'd question the tracks that charge the same admission for a $20,000 to win event as Eldora and Carl charge for a much bigger purse. For some reason Pittsburgh comes to mind.

I've always been curious, and I'm not trying to start things here by asking. What does Carl do other than promote 2 races during the year?

What do you mean by "pocket $50,000"? Do you mean turn a profit, which is what promoters are supposed to do? And who in their right mind would purposely try to take a loss by promoting an event? This has to be one of the dumbest posts ever on 4m, and that bar had already been set pretty high to begin with.

To begin with what if he makes $50,000 or 5x that much for that matter. He not only puts on one of the biggest paying races in late model racing, he started the big paying races. If it hadn't been for him, who knows what drivers would be running for now. And he does it at a time of year when he is taking a bigger chance than any other promoter that puts on a major event like this. On top of all that he does it at a ticket price that has to be considered the best in the industry for a show like this.

And you worry about if he makes or has made $50,000? That risk / return ratio just don't add up to me. I know I wouldn't do it and I doubt many other people would either. One thing is for sure nobody else does. Personally I would kind of like to see him change the date but it has been on this weekend for 35 years so I sort of doubt he would now.

None of my business but it would be interesting to see what profit is turned from the DTWC. Wonder what percentage PRP makes? Or is it even a percentage? Idk. Took my camper down yesterday. Cant wait for them to hit the track.

Racing4Fun: Im in on that date change........ maybe a little warmer weather..... Brrrrrrrrrrr !!!! Not gonna complain as long as the rain stays away. Or maybe the snow with the PRP forcast for the weekend. lol

Who gives a da-n. No one ask Tony what he makes at Eldora, or Knoxville what it makes. If promoter and track owners didn't make any money. They would be no race tracks or races. DTWC is a great deal. I cant go to any professional sports or big league races for that. It seems every year at this time, people bash Carl about his race, payout and if he makes a profit. Who cares. I thank him for putting the race on!!! Let me ask this when Carl decides to retire, will this race continue. I love the 3rd weekend in October and have since I first went to WVMS in 2000.

I'm not bashing Carl at all. Thankful he puts on the race. Just one of those things to wonder about. Both he and PRP make big bucks or they wouldn't do it and deal with all the hassle. No bashing... Just wondering. Pretty sure it's ok to do that.

I have realized something over my time on 4m. I am horrible at portraying what I really mean. I am the furthest thing from a liberal (laughable). I am not mad at eldora or Short for turning a profit, actually I love it. Profit means I get to go to the races. My point is if he's making 50g per race for all these years then why do tracks close? Sorry that my post come off the way they do but not at all what I meant. Don't be so quick to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    What do you mean by "pocket $50,000"? Do you mean turn a profit, which is what promoters are supposed to do? And who in their right mind would purposely try to take a loss by promoting an event? This has to be one of the dumbest posts ever on 4m, and that bar had already been set pretty high to begin with.
    I for one would like to see all promoters turn a profit which is why I for one never question ticket prices. My question was how could he up the purse by 50g? There are very few ways he could do so which I listed but I will again. Either in past years he's turned a 50g profit or he will take a loss or someone has put up the extra money. There is one other way, He could sell 50g more in tickets which I doubt because PRP only seats 4000 and I'm assuming the last few years it has basically been sold out. Not bashing and not a dumb question just asking how it is possible?

Why doesn't PRP tell Carl to stay home and then have there own big race? They could take his cut and pay more back through the field or pocket a bigger profit themselves!

A group of us talked about this topic at the world this year. I figure between pits and general admission that there is probably upwards of 8,000 (minimum) people that buy the 3 day for $89. Then probably another 6,000 (minimum) that spend $44 for Saturday night. That is $976,000 dollars. These numbers were totally a guess. But total payout was like $319,000ish for the week. So not even considering the beer line that was backed up for a week straight I'd say eldora still turns a pretty decent profit. $650,000 wouldn't be a bad weekend of work...

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Money wise I'd question the tracks that charge the same admission for a $20,000 to win event as Eldora and Carl charge for a much bigger purse. For some reason Pittsburgh comes to mind.
    LOL, PPMS is the most price gougingist track I've ever been to, at both gates. Never bothered me much, because my wife and I both have pretty well paying jobs, but I can see where it would be really tough to take a family to big race there. I refuse to go there anymore, but it has nothing to do with prices.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!