Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big purses??

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    The payout thru the field has got to increase because of the cost of the cars. The cost of the cars racing dlm has no signs of going down. Someone please tell me if this information I'm about to tell u is wrong. I heard you can build a Nascar for Sprint Cup racing for $120,000, race ready. Now I know some Super Late Models Brand new race ready are at least $50,000. It is not hard to see what's wrong with this picture. Example Daytona 500 pay's around $50,000 for 43rd, last place. $50,000 for last place. In Nascar you could almost pay for the cost of the car in 2 races, in dlm, $1,000 to start it would take 50 races. The absolute ratio on Cost of Cars to money won in dirt track racing is mind boggling, it is so far off something has to be done.

There is no way you're going to build a competitive Cup car for 120k.

Also, trying to correlate what dirt late models should pay based on what NASCRAP pays is the amongst the most illogical arguments I've ever seen.

It's not the promoters' and sanctions' fault that racers are willing to spend their last dollar. For all of the whining some racers do about costs, they're the only reason costs are so high.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

There is no way you're going to build a competitive Cup car for 120k.

Just the engine cost more than that.

And for those who believe or think that from 10th to last don't pay enough in racing in general, just go faster. Normally, in the top 3, nobody bitches about the purses.

Asking how much to take the green is like asking for a trophy just for showing up at a competition. Rewarding the weaks, the unprepared, the leasy, is not the reflect of a great event.
    André Fortin
    Roll cage fabrication
    http://andrefortinrollcages.com/

Cost of racecars is the biggest problem, but that does just extend to Dirt late models. Carl paid 100,000 to win to put more butts in seats. It worked, biggest crowd I have seen at PRP for DTWC.
    As for the cost of dirt late model. Who does and what series steps up to provide cost containment? Lots of folks thought Create Late models would help, it hasn't. They continue to race for smaller purses and they are not cheap. This problem is not just a Dirt late model problem, this is a problem in all motorsports, from go-karts to F1. Yea every one would like to see 5 grand to start, but that is not going to happen. Dirt late model fans are willing to pay a fair price to see a race, but we all have limited income and pick and choose which races we attend. Would I be willing to pay a couple more dollars to attend yes, but it just me attending, not a family. 20 bucks increase for a family hits the wallet. Nascar, NHRA, and Indy car racing have many problems to. So just increasing the purse is not the answer.

I'd enjoy seeing the pay stair step down after 10th place more than it does at some shows. The pay scale is usually very flat once you hit 10th-15th on back. Obviously racers want to race, but if you running 15th in a 100 lap race, and 25 laps in you are sliding backwards, it seems like a lof of guys pull in and save their stuff. I'd really like to see some more incentive for that guy to come in the pits if there is a caution on lap 30, change a tire, change something, and go back out and trying to pick up a few spots. Seems like you used to see guys do that more often, Bloomer especially.

A-main 50,000, 25,000, 20,000, 17,500, 15,000, 12,500, 10,000, 9000, 8000, 7500, 7000, 6500, 6000, 5750, 5500, 5250, $5000 To start $260,500.00 ( 26 cars make money here )

Josh BaYko and Andre, It has nothing to do with being competitive, you can build a Nascar motor for $80,000. If you finish 43rd dead last you can make $50,000. What don't you understand about that. If you build a start and park Nascar you are better off money wise than the best dlm team.

You could run a truck team and make more than you can in DLM, but on the other hand DLM is 100 times more exciting to watch and do so what makes it the way it is makes you go hummm.

Ray Cook says and practices: all starters get at least 10% to the winner's purse. $5300 to win, $530 to start.

Last truck race at Las Vegas winner 45,845.00 last place 9,185.00 not quite as top heavy.

Go ask Dale junior how much money the teams he owns are making ...

I'm
    Guessing you also think that if an employee has a 500 a day Coke habit that the employer is responsible to pay him enough to cover his Coke habit and his other expenses too.....

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    Go ask Dale junior how much money the teams he owns are making ...
    And Harvicks truck deal wasn't making money with sponsorship. That's why he closed up.

From what I've heard... Hendrick is basically supporting Dale Jrs team.

A lot of these elevated purse deals don't work anyway. This past weekend, there was a $20,000 to win race on a short track for limited late models and only 22 cars showed. That's a gigantic amount of money for this class of car and many times what they run for on a normal Saturday night. Go figure?

Cool

Big purse's are carried by big women just ask Huck!!
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    And Harvicks truck deal wasn't making money with sponsorship. That's why he closed up.

From what I've heard... Hendrick is basically supporting Dale Jrs team.
    Look at there lifestyles million $ houses, garages full of cars, airplanes or copters and there NOT making $$. Thats BS. I live near one and hes in loaded. Im not saying all are doing well but theres more to it than you know. Ik some of the drivers get things given to them thru endorsements. A driver just sold his old house for 3mil.and he has 2 houses.

Are you retarded or do you just act like it ???? Dale junior is worth over 300 million dollars , from his apparel , sponsors , endorsements , inheritance etc etc. I didn't say he's broke I said he's not willing to take money out of his own pocket to sustain race teams and I totally agree with him. I'm sure harvick is worth well over 20mil and he's not willing to take it out of his own pocket either. Did you see how Bobby pierce was looking for 20k in additional sponsorship just to run 1 truck race ??? And you said it paid 9100 to finish last ?? Motorsports has lost a massive amount of popularity thanks to NASCAR and it's difficult to sustain at its current level. There are thousands less people employed in NASCAR than there was 5 years ago and the ones left are being paid less... Dirt racing is headed the same direction

I think you mean "mentally challenged" right? Sponsorship pays the bills therefore they have a paychk.

Cost of racing, any racing continues to go up. You can not use nascar as example. TV deals alone set it apart from any other type of racing. Period. With exception of F1. NHRA just got a better TV deal with Fox, we'll see if it helps Drag racing. Doubt it. Their fields continue to get smaller. Indy car is and remains in trouble. Nascar has declined. Tracks removing seats and empty seats remain, less teams.
    Grass roots racing from go-carts, to dirt late model and sprint cars have issues, Cost is the one thing that has to be controlled somehow someway, and is going to be the issue at hand. There are more 10 grand races then ever. Two series, and a ton of regional series. More events paying 20 grand to win then ever, and the cost problem seems to grow every year. So until cost to race are controlled, the problem will continue, and raising the back end of a purse, will not stop drivers from spending more money on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtisforracin View Post
    Cost of racing, any racing continues to go up. You can not use nascar as example. TV deals alone set it apart from any other type of racing. Period. With exception of F1. NHRA just got a better TV deal with Fox, we'll see if it helps Drag racing. Doubt it. Their fields continue to get smaller. Indy car is and remains in trouble. Nascar has declined. Tracks removing seats and empty seats remain, less teams.
    Grass roots racing from go-carts, to dirt late model and sprint cars have issues, Cost is the one thing that has to be controlled somehow someway, and is going to be the issue at hand. There are more 10 grand races then ever. Two series, and a ton of regional series. More events paying 20 grand to win then ever, and the cost problem seems to grow every year. So until cost to race are controlled, the problem will continue, and raising the back end of a purse, will not stop drivers from spending more money on the car.

Very good point and well said!