Default Another Winch question

What size winch are you guys using in your trailers? These things can get expensive if you get into the 6000# range. Will a Warn 4000 pull a late model or modified up ramp overs?

Should be plenty, my enclosed has a 5000lb but I have a 2500lbs for my open trailer (rampover style) and it works fine. My uncle uses the same winch on his trailer to pull up a 3200 lb car. Your going to be pulling up rolling weight with it keep in mind.

I've used this one to pull 5,000# cars up on a trailer :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZYE5U

Works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman33 View Post
    What size winch are you guys using in your trailers? These things can get expensive if you get into the 6000# range. Will a Warn 4000 pull a late model or modified up ramp overs?
    Yes, with no problems. Ours is 10 years old and works flawlessly.
    Lions don't worry when sheep try to copy their username.

Quick tip, when you are shopping for a winch pay attention to the feet per minute rate. It's worth looking at.

...and the make sure thae advertised rating is the 1st layer pull cause the box might say 5000lbs but it's more like 2000lbs on the 4th layer. Usually that only applies to long pulls like when offroading and you might be winching with 100' of wire. Your typical 24' trailer is only needing or using 20' of cable.

Our Warn 3700 has worked perfectly for everything from a 2300# late model to 2700# clip car. Doesn't struggle at all. We also got a badlands wireless winch remote and hard wired it in.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...IR25IETPCRCSZC
    Last edited by ledfootproducts; 11-01-2015 at 04:26 AM.
    Follow us!

Feet per second thing definitely. Friend had one that worked great but you aged before car was on trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Feet per second thing definitely. Friend had one that worked great but you aged before car was on trailer.
    Go get another beer out of the cooler it will be ok.

Most everyone wouldnt be in the that big a hurry but the FPM will give you an idea of the quality.
    Three ways to increase the pull ratings are decrease the drum size, increase the gearing(both mechanical) and use larger motors. I suppose the fourth is to use funky math and politicize the rating to whatever you want it to say.
    Decreasing the drum size will slow the FPM, increasing the mechanical gear ratio slows the FPM.

My RULE winch is 6,000 pound pull rating and 31 FPM and a high duty cycle. It's also made for marine applications and is all aluminum and sealed for corrosion. It was also $1300 new.

The Horror Freight version that comparable 1/4 the speed with 5% duty cycle. That's pretty anemic

Both would get the job done.

I use the harbor freight 12k lbs with wireless remote.... no issues.

like before though, its 12k on 1st layer against the drum