Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Too bad the rains came again. That next restart was going to be epic!

There was only one thing wrong with the old points race and that was the bonus points. The finish position points were okay but getting 5 points for leading one lap and 5 points for leading (potentially) all the laps was ridiculous, at the very least. That bonus is like being on opposite sides of the Grand Canyon. More ideally, lead a lap, get a point.
    That's it! Lead one lap, get 1 point, lead 500 laps, get 500 points. With transponders, it's very easy to keep tally.
    The old system rewarded consistency; not necessarily wins. In my opinion, winning 1/2 the races and finishing last in the other half is not as fine a performance as finishing 2nd in all the races. But I leave it in the hands of that nappy headed little prick (Brian France) and his lumbering eunuch (Mike Helton) to thoroughly destroy something I once enjoyed watching.

They still do the bonus points for a lap and most laps lead. It's one point each, which is comparable to 5 points each under the old system.

Good job Matt!......You knocked Logano out of the Championship race! Hopefully, he learned a valuable lesson.....but I doubt it!
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Yes good job Matt,

I could care less about the points system. What I care about is to get back to some good racing on the track. Get a package that allows these guys to race side by side again or even be able to sling shot around a guy. Get rid of the cookie cutter tracks and build more 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 mile tracks. Put back in 50 to 75,000 seats and call it good.

WTG Matt!

Anybody but Busch for the championships. I have to say I'm voting for Truex since he has never won.

I never thought I would say this,but I wouldn't mind Gordon winning one more championship. We won't have to listen to him anymore after this year anyway so why not?
    Formerly 66#1

hahaha Sorry but you will be listening to him more next year unless you mute the TV. He will be in the broadcast booth.

Oh crap! Forgot about that!
    Formerly 66#1

I would take Gordon in the booth over K petty and the whining waltrip's anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    WTG Matt!

Anybody but Busch for the championships. I have to say I'm voting for Truex since he has never won.

I never thought I would say this,but I wouldn't mind Gordon winning one more championship. We won't have to listen to him anymore after this year anyway so why not?
    Good news for you. Yes you will be listening to Gordon a lot more, in the broadcasting booth!!!

Yahooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A ron View Post
    Although I'm pleased with the final 4, I find it absurd that it all got decided based on a rain shower in the middle of a green flag pit cycle. Once again, I see that as the problem with the Chase. You tabulate points for the entire year and crazy instances average their way out of the picture. Manipulating outcomes of races, or downright getting lucky or unlucky are lessor factors that way. Rain shortening one race in a yearly total would only play a 2.78% role vs whatever (is there even a way to calculate it? I would say 33.33% for 8 drivers.) percentage role of yesterdays race. Makes no sense. I agree with Kurt Busch. It's time to do a survey on what fans wanna see.
    How bout not worrying about all that crap and watch the race? You can't control mother nature, it rained, so what? They'd been in a rain situation for 6 hours before the race, it was time to be over and nothing other then the winner was going to change, more then likely with the exception that Carl may have been able to take out Truex, but I doubt it...Formercrewguy was right, that restart may have been epic if Lagono did what everyone would expect, because Brian France just told him a couple weeks ago how smart it was.... I'm not really sure he'd have done it though...

Yeah it would have great to see Lagono take someone out and then get suspended for the next race lol

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    suspended?? why?? he wasn't laps down he would have been racing for position....
    I was just kidding Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Yeah it would have great to see Lagono take someone out and then get suspended for the next race lol
    That wouldn't be quintessential Nascrap, now would it?
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Now that it is all said and done, it appears the Chase does reward WINNING races, because there was no way Bush was winning anything without wins to get him in the Chase and then winning when it counted at Homestead. Not going to debate the ins/outs of mulligans and waivers, because Kyle himself said he only played by the rules as presented and it wasn't like other drivers before him had not been granted waivers to compete for the Championship. So as he put it, it wasn't like they made a rule just for him and him alone.

Someone said Gordon was not deserving because he could only win at tracks like Martinsville. Well, he didn't win at Homestead, which is the typical cookie cutter Nascar track these days.

I really thought Harvick would be a repeat champ, looks like some karma came back to get him in the end after what he instigated to keep himself in with a shot.

Too bad about Truex. I really would have liked to see him pull it off.

In the end it didn't matter that Logano or Kenseth were out of the Chase, neither looked like winners at Homestead, but maybe if there had been more at stake they would've came to race with a different car/strategy. For all we know everyone not in the final four were just testing for next year anyway. I know if I were eliminated that's all I would focus on for the rest of the season, however many racers that were.

I think Nascar should come up with a better format for races at every venue. Do it like they do it at your local short track, run some heat races, then some dashes and B/C mains to get the field down to say 24 cars from 40 plus, create some excitement throughout the evening and make each race day more of an event. Forget qualifying, let that be a test session and limit the time on track. Line them up by random draw and make them race their way in.

And I agree that instead of jacking with the Chase thing, they should've concentrated more on limiting technology and testing and made the cars less aero reliant and more driver reliant. Nascar should look more like the local Friday/Saturday night short track racing than the high dollar, high tech corporate charade it has become.

Interesting take. However, not sure that starting only 24 cars in a Nascar race would be a wise choice. IN fact, it would be a horrible choice. Nothing positive would come from that. Plus the millions of lost revenue, and sponsors. Also, People pay and plan in advance for a Nascar weekend. No way would it be acceptable for their favorite drivers to be missing from the field. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Interesting take. However, not sure that starting only 24 cars in a Nascar race would be a wise choice. IN fact, it would be a horrible choice. Nothing positive would come from that. Plus the millions of lost revenue, and sponsors. Also, People pay and plan in advance for a Nascar weekend. No way would it be acceptable for their favorite drivers to be missing from the field. LOL
    In case you hadn't noticed, CIRF hates NASCAR..... and for what ever reason H8TS Kyle B for winning a Championship and the race which he didn't need to win the championship.... I don't get the guy, but he is the world's foremost authority of his own opinion so I guess we'll just have to roll with it...

Start 24 in the feature and make it like something oddball in terms of laps to force some serious one stop strategy thinking.

If your favorite doesn't make the feature, you at least got to see him in the heats and semis leading up to the feature and better luck next time. I don't think there's much difference in fan satisfaction watching some exciting stuff happen in a couple 30 lap shootouts and a 50 lap B or C main with your favorite driver in it trying to get to the feature compared to watching a 200 lap snoozefest and "your guy" running around in circles in the bottom 20 for most of it.

At least using a short track format you have something to cheer your guy on for a couple times over if they aren't doing well that day/evening as they try to make the feature. If every race weekend were a mini-series of events with something to keep people enthralled as the weekend progressed they could do away with this Chase thing altogether.

I just think NASCAR has forgotten about the girl who got them to the dance.

Why can't they just run a race for those who don't make the A-Main. Then you get to see your guy or gal and the sponsors still get air time.