Default Cam shaft repair????

Has anyone had a cam repaired? If so how much where and is it worth it... Thanks

there was a guy in north Georgia that was good, ill try and find his info. as far as being worth it goes, the only time i had it done was on a custom ground cam, if its a standard piece , your probably better off getting a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by 20fan20 View Post
    Has anyone had a cam repaired? If so how much where and is it worth it... Thanks
    I typically passed on having cams reground so this is ball park and may be off some on info but should give you the basic idea on them.

Heat treat depth on core: Core are heat treated then are ground so there is only a certain amount of depth to the heat treat before you cut off too much of it and make the lobe too soft. IIRC, they say you can roughly change lobes about 5 degree on duration and about 2 degrees or so on lobe separation before you get to risky on grinding thru the heat treated material. They call that safe as you can maybe go more but they usually won't guarantee it (many won't anyways on a regrind job anyways). To much variable on what the end lobe size and shape ends up as compared to how it started on the core to say you can take off this much and be safe.

What is wrong with the cam now? if it got hit and has a dent/nicks in it, they can ground off some (regrind) and just make the base circle smaller and have the same lobe just as long as they don't have to cut thru the heat treat. I have in my head about .03 to .05 is somewhere in the area that is what they would call safe or worth trying. If the cam is bent, it can be straightened but I would likely pass on that as they tend to go back to bent. I think you gonna pay around half of the price to regrind one as compared to a new one depending on core you have and it's price. The more expensive the core the more regrinding could make sense.

The cam manufacture can/should be willing to fix it, if it's fixable. I'd try the place the made the cam first or call your preferred cam guy.

this is true billet, the only one i have ever had done was a lunati i had custom ground , it had a lobe worn off, it was a roller, i don't know what all they did, but we ran that cam 5 or 6 seasons. its been a while but i think they charged me about 100 bucks.

Custom cams in MS. reground one that been hit by a rod.Around $175.I have one that is bent I have been wanting to send it to Mike Jones.Custom said they did not straighten cams, But Jones said that he could.Both cams are custom ground 4/7 3/2 firing order 55mm cams.