Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bending radius on top of doors / quarters

How are you guys bending a radius at the top of doors / quarters where it meets the deck ? Got a new rocket, it's done that way and I'd like to be able to do it again when I put new doors on it.

I have a standard 8' brake.

Thanks !

right or wrong..i get my mark where I want my bend..then on the break I come above it a touch (top side) bout eighth or so and give it a 45 degree bend or there bouts and then come below my mark bout eighth and bend it from there up to a 90....we also have a standard break seems to work out pretty good.
    powerslave

i've done that before, it works ok but i kinda like the way the actual radius bends look. probably more trouble than it's worth but i'd still like to know how it's done.

Some brakes have something called a radius bar that either bolts on or adjusts into position.
    For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lej7F0QH6cI

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Some brakes have something called a radius bar that either bolts on or adjusts into position.
    For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lej7F0QH6cI
    Very cool ! My brake doesn't have that function built in, but I wonder if i could still do it. I guess the "foot" would need to be able to move back to make it happen .. I'll check on that.

Thanks !

Put six or so breaks in it an 1/8th inch apart. Break it very small amounts. It will give a nice radius and you won't be able to tell really thay it was done with several breaks and not a radius bar.

Sure seems like I've heard of somebody splitting a 8' length of something like 2" tubing (long ways), putting it in the brake and getting it to bend around that.

Maybe I imagined that, not sure.

I put a 5* bend from the top horizontal edge of the finished door then at 1 1/2" I start making small bends every 1/16" till I get to 11 bends. You don't see a break in the radius and once you do it a few times it doesn't take too long.

Lol 11 brakes a 1/16 apart lol lol you guys are playing with with diks. I do 3 marks 3/16 apart and it looks round . Works good I have a tennsmith 14 gauge 8ft regular brake and I have a 8ft 12 gauge box and pan and it works the same on either brake . There's a ton of beam adjustment on serious brakes so
    Maybe if I'm bored this winter I'll make a radius bar but it seems like a waste of time

Here's what the door looks like that I'd like to replicate :

Honestly that enormous radius looks like dog $hit. I have no idea why on earth you would want to
    Copy that but it's about a 1.25 radius so you have to roll the panel around a 2.5" pipe and that's much larger than radius bars they typically sell ... Trying to copy that is like asking Brian Gray for his wheel well templates to copy
    Those lol

Racer10x, whatever you do don't listen to hucktyson, unless your building a porch! That looks like a 1 inch radius, just not bent to 90 so it looks lazy( and I agree with huck that it looks like chit! Tighter is better). 2.5 radius would be the same as the spring in the picture

That spring is 2.625 inside diameter typically closer to 2.75 and each coil with the powder costing is Atleast 9/16" so that's around 3.75 or a 1.875 radius. Take a straight edge from start of the bend to end and the measure from the straight edge to the apex of the bend and I'll give you an exact radius. But that there is like taking a picture of Rosie odonnels a$$ and going to a plastic surgeon and asking him to match it . Talon I don't buy stuff already assembled I build it ...

Maybe you ought to try buying it built? Just a thought.

I'm sure I would run better if I hired someone to stand there and make the calls for me ... Racing is a hobby to me , the most relaxing thing I do is fabricating race car parts. It costs me WAY more the build my own pieces but it's worth it to me .

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    Racer10x, whatever you do don't listen to hucktyson, unless your building a porch! That looks like a 1 inch radius, just not bent to 90 so it looks lazy( and I agree with huck that it looks like chit! Tighter is better). 2.5 radius would be the same as the spring in the picture
    It's probably a bit distorted / fish eyed because of the angle. It's a good looking door when you see the whole thing.

90 degree bends (no radius) on the doors look lazy to me.

Bead roll the radius then bend?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Like racerx stated but we used 1 1/2 tubing split it in half and put it in the break. The radius keeps the panels from splitting at the break through out the season from contact with other cars or the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    Like racerx stated but we used 1 1/2 tubing split it in half and put it in the break. The radius keeps the panels from splitting at the break through out the season from contact with other cars or the wall.
    Is your brake the kind with the adjustable foot on top, or just a standard clamp down brake ? I'm trying to imagine how/if that would work with a standard brake.

I personally prefer just a 90 degree bend without it rounded. It makes it easier when straightening bent doors.