Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hp gain with Vortec heads enough to go IMCA MOD?

Ok guys need a little help . thinking about going from USRA Bmod to IMCA Amod and have any engine question. current motor 350 4 bolt , 40 over, 0 deck,stock crank, pm rods with arp bolts, KB flat tops, balanced, prc 108 cam, 882 heads , performer intake, and keith dorton 4412, 50/50 race fuel. this is a standard bmod motor and pulls good to about 7k which is what i chipped it at. any est on this hp? now because of local track changes i am thinking about going to Imca Amod with these changes: standard vortec heads with maching for new springs and 550 lift springs, performer rpm intake and a 650 or 750 carb. Still would limit rpm to 7k. what hp would this new combo make? and would the performer rpm be the right intake or should i victor jr? My thinking is that the 604 crate runs in Imca Amod and with Vortec heads I should be able to compete. Thoughts?

Sounds fine for an IMCA mod. i'd guess about 475hp or so on gas.

Would I gain much with alcohol? or is that not advisable with hyper pistons?

On an engine like that depending upon how much compression you are gunna have you could probly gain 20hp and torque with alcohol. As far as the hypereutectic pistons with alcohol as long as you have the engine tuned right you won't have any issues KB pistons will take quite a bit of abuse as long as you have the ring gap correct. For the intake I would do a Victor Jr it will give up a little midrange to the Performer Rpm but above 5000 the Victor will win by a large margin.

ya more rules to help the crates! ugh

I'm hoping those rules come out soon also.

I thought i heard they were going to limit cam lift. If they do the 2 changes above 604's wont stand a chance. then they will let the ct525 crate in. lol

dont think i like the roller cam deal. If they allow that the usra guys will be showing up with there big motors and winning.

I don't think the roller cam is necessary the open motors aren't having problems making power, big power wont outrun a crate when its dry I believe if they let both have or not have a spoiler and allow aluminum heads for the open motor this would be a cheaper and better fix to me most are running crates for the weight advantage because it sure isn't because they are making more power.

agree. that hard hoosier doesnt like hp. and the 60+ pounds saved with aluminum heads is a big help. being able to move that weight to the rear to gain grip on a dry track is a major plus.

The only issue I have with the rules in the A mod class is the spoiler and aluminum heads. The fact the crate gets a hydraulic roller cam doesn't matter as according to my cam supplier a solid flat tappet can make just as much if not more power. The thing people are forgetting is the crate is just another engine, you can build your own to perform just like it, and weigh the same if you do your homework the crate in the A mod class does not have a distinct advantage like the crate does in the sportmod division. As for everybody on a 6400 chip it could be done with the open motor and still outperform the crate just have to use your head. But we all know why IMCA likes the crate so much GM has had to kick $ into every sanctioning body in the nation for years just to buy their wins.

When do rules come out for 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by dereksehi View Post
    But we all know why IMCA likes the crate so much GM has had to kick $ into every sanctioning body in the nation for years just to buy their wins.
    the truth is told, thank you..........

if they take the spoiler away they will surely take sometime from the spec guys. like make the cam 480 lift max or something like that. there are a few tracks around here that still run the EMod and that is there rule. 604 or spec with 480 lift max cam. ugh I hate waiting on rules i dont have the money to wait for rules and pick up the phone and order all new parts. I have to spread my purchases out over the winter.

I know this is a little off base but the rule I wish they would get rid of the most pertains to the Northern Sportmod division is the crate getting a 4 barrel carb which is total bs to me.

i have been running usra bmod for a few years and racing against the 602 crates. the spec seems to come off the corners a little better but the crates seem to pull better at mid straight. so i really feel they are very close.

are the WP sportsman 2 heads better then a set of good vortec?

How can anyone complain about the engine rules in the northern sportmods??? They are about as even as it gets! I've been outrun by a claim engine numerous times. Afrank, roebuck, osantowski just to name a few. Adams County speedway put the claim on a 4 barrel with the 6200 chip and I never heard about it lighting the world on fire. Hell derek, your Ford runs just as hard if not harder than my crate! You just needed to get off those junk leafs, which you have now done. I get so tired of people complaining about the crates in sportmods. The 5k would win just as many races with a claim as he does with the crate. Jenea Gustin won a crap ton of races with a claim motor, in iowa!! Where the competition is a lot tougher than here. The engines are very very close, it all comes down to setup, maintenance, and driver. It amazes me how many people overlook the maintenence aspect. In the last 2 years of racing, you know how many races I didn't finish becuase of a part failure? 0. You don't win races or championships not finishing races. Sure I've broke a couple things from on track contact or rough racetracks, but nobody can prevent that stuff

Sorry to everyone about the rant, (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) just gets old.

The thing I don't understand is the same 2 engines in the hobby stock division have to run the same carburetion, but in the Sportmod division the engines are the same but one of them gets a 4 barrel and not the other, they have crippled the claim engine IMO, why do you think there is only a handful of claim engines running in the Sportmod division in this area? We should both be allowed to run the same carb why should the 350 cubic inch engine I build have to run a 2 barrel but somebody who chooses to buy one from GM gets to run a 4 barrel keep in mind these engines are the same displacement, the same compression, basically the same intake, and the crate has better heads. It doesn't make any sense to me.