Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Jack Hewitt is a beast!! Got to see him race some, that dude could drive anything. Anyways, a very good and fun discussion.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

Right back at ya', Mark.

As usual your points are well taken and well presented.

Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I must admit I'm not all that familiar with Stewart Friesen. What I know about Friesen off the top of my head is that he is a DIRT big block modified competitor (a pretty good one, too) and has won the Super Dirt Week Finale' at Syracuse this year and last year and 2 or 3 other times. Those win's are a pretty impressive driver resume' all by themselves. Friesen may have had some success in winged sprint cars IIRC but we don't follow the winged cars as much as some other types of cars. If Mr. Friesen has ventured beyond, and has been successful driving, other types of racing besides a BBM and winged sprint cars I humbly plead ignorance. Syracuse SDW was a bucket list destination similar to Ascot Park, Langhorne and the beach road course race on the sands of Daytona Beach. We never attended any of those 3 venues since they were before my time. Syracuse always fell at a very busy time of year for us and will sadly fade away without us having attended.
    Very sad day Saturday 01/09/2016. The grandstands at Syracuse were imploded. A pretty good crowd showed up. Those who there to rubberneck and didn't understand applauded after the last explosion. The race fans that hung around afterwards in the parking lot had a tear in their eye as they raised one last toast to the old girl.

Raceready, due to career obligations I was never able to attend Super Dirt Week. It always fell at a very busy time of the year for me. It saddens me to hear of the ultimate demise of a great and historical venue. I understand nothing stays the same, time and so called "progress" must march on but sometimes sacred ground and history should be preserves. I believe this is one of those situations.

It's too late now. She's gone and the people who stand to benefit monetarily are no doubt are happy with the destruction of this motor sports icon.

Thanks Raceready for passing on this somewhat sad news to those of us here in the Midwest that wouldn't have otherwise been aware of this sad event.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZero View Post
    Larson was Tony Stewart's choice to be his NASCAR replacement, but the legalities did not work out.
    Anyone know when Larson's contract with Ganassi is up? I'd bet Bowyer's contract is up at the same time...

If your talking great Midget drivers, you have to throw in Mel Kenyon Tom Bigalo, Stan Fox and Kevin Doty. But that has been more than 10 years. How time flies.

I got a kick out of the Shoeman fans at Knoxville, holding up their shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    If your talking great Midget drivers, you have to throw in Mel Kenyon Tom Bigalo, Stan Fox and Kevin Doty. But that has been more than 10 years. How time flies.

I got a kick out of the Shoeman fans at Knoxville, holding up their shoe.
    Buster, you are 100% correct that the drivers you mentioned are the best midget drivers in history. I am inclined to add Bob Tattersall to your list of the greatest midget drivers. Anyone around in the 1960's knows Tat was right up there with the best of them.

However, I originally said that Kyle Larson is the best all around dirt driver of the last 10 years and I solidly stand by that statement. Jack Hewitt was the last driver that can boast as diverse of a racing resume as Larson but Jack spent his whole career achieving all the different wins. It only took Larson just 3 or 4 years.

Late Model Mark mentioned some great dirt drivers from the past 10 years but the record of success that Larson had amassed in 4 completely different types of race cars is unmatched. Larson won big crown jewel races in just about everything he drove..
    Last edited by CIRF; 01-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.

you could put Bubby Jones and Richard Griffin on that short list too !