Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fab stub might work in IMCA or USRA where they actually tech. in UMP in would be full blown late models without fenders in a matter of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    "]
    Yes of course they would! Now imagine two or more companies making good tires that last a long time all trying to sell tires to a group of people. A lower price would give a company the advantage right? Then the other companies begin losing money because they can't sell tires and lower their price too. This is a called a price war which brings down the cost's of tires will driving innovation to make the their tire better. Now let's say you have multiple companies selling a great tire at about the same price but one is a A hole and the other provide great customer support. I don't think the customer is going to tolerate that too much so they buy from the nice guy. Now your getting a good tire, at a good price with good customer support. The tri-fecta!
    I understand your point, and it sounds good in a fairytale world, but that's not what we're dealing with. It doesn't matter if manufacturer A is the biggest jerk you've ever met and he's charging double, if his tires are 1/2 a 1/10th per lap faster everyone will be on them. Then when manufacturer B builds something 1/2 a 1/10th better you've just forced everyone to throw tire A in the garbage and buy all new. This would go in circles until racers were out of business, not the manufacturer. I know better tires sound nice, but better tires that are good enough are already available. The increased traction that comes with them are not needed in budget racing. Once upon a time that's what UMP modifieds were... What's needed is a single tire in a single compound that takes heat cycles well. Free market systems are wonderful in real world business, but sanctioning bodies are better run when they are ruled with an iron fist. Lol And you can absolutely legislate your way to affordability in racing. Less traction=lower cost...

I would love the chance to Tech your GRT frames.....or do you still have them. LOL. Or did you get the patch plates put in them and call it fixed...... Your a joke trying to tell people that buy doing that it fixed the problem....LMFAO.

I followed this last year and admittedly don't always agree with you but I guess people don't realize you didn't build this car lol GRT did. Lots of manufacturers skirt these rules Most builders will always do what someone else got away with and a little
    More that's racing and I think that's what happened here. Guess people don't want to let it go...I know a big big name driver that had one and he was winning a lot and promptly got switched chassis from GRT to a compliant one lol oh well

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Why are you so infatuated with me? I didn't come up with the fix, Joe Garrison did that.

I still have two grt, come on over and measure away, one is still hanging from the shop ceiling the same way I got it from grt.

The new Speedway Illustrated preview that I got in an Email said that there is an article about Howe building a fab chevelle stub in the upcoming issue. The Chinese chevelle has increased in price about $200 in the last 3 years. I bought 10 in Sept. They cost 630 shipped. Then I have 13 hours in putting them together, and plating around the spring buckets. Do the math. The chassis builders have well over $1000 in these clips, compared to probably $500 I am guessing, in the fab clips. This not only increases the cost on a new chassis, but also increases cost on a clip job. The only bad thing I can see about a fab clip that takes all the stock steering, and suspension is the perception that guys would have that their older cars couldn't be competitive with the fab one. That is the reason why the weight would have to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVY DUTY View Post
    The new Speedway Illustrated preview that I got in an Email said that there is an article about Howe building a fab chevelle stub in the upcoming issue. The Chinese chevelle has increased in price about $200 in the last 3 years. I bought 10 in Sept. They cost 630 shipped. Then I have 13 hours in putting them together, and plating around the spring buckets. Do the math. The chassis builders have well over $1000 in these clips, compared to probably $500 I am guessing, in the fab clips. This not only increases the cost on a new chassis, but also increases cost on a clip job. The only bad thing I can see about a fab clip that takes all the stock steering, and suspension is the perception that guys would have that their older cars couldn't be competitive with the fab one. That is the reason why the weight would have to be the same.
    Well said... I don't think many racers realize the time it takes to prep a clip wether it's Chinese or from a junkyard. Most shops are 60-100 an hour for fab work, even on the conservative side you would be at $1410 for the clip and labor before you pay for the steel used to plate it up and all your tabs and brackets for a Chinese clip. If you want to go the junkyard metric route you've got to give $200+ for a clip now, then spend time washing, stripping, sandblasting, cutting, grinding and rewelding seams, straightening, plating... That's lots of time, and lots of money. This rule is so old and outdated that we've started importing parts from China as the answer? Lol That's not good for anyone. Almost no one drags a clip out of a junkyard and builds their own chassis like they used to, and that's who the rule was designed for. It's time the sanctioning bodies realize this and allow fab stubs, but I believe it's also time for them to put a system in place to tech them and put some specs in place to assure that it isn't an advantage over a stock stub. The last thing anyone should want to do is obsolete every chassis built to that point..

One other thought... What about mandating IMCA chassis rules and requiring a 1.75" cage if you build a fab clip car? I've seen too many 1.5" cages move a bunch when they've been upside down the last few years. Might be a far fetched, but it could be a way to keep drivers safer and get the sanctioning bodies closer together on rules without making it happen all at once.

I don't see ANY chassis builder lowering the price of their cars or price to clip a car. Nobody has done that when they add more china made stamped parts vs American made etc.

The initial cost for a China clip is more than an American junkyard clip.. The savings were supposed to be in the labor by using new metal but the parts are low quality so labor is still high to assemble. How can you lower the cost of a product if you have just as much money of time in it?

I don't think you have actually looked around and confirmed pricing on these things?

When I was going to have my cars built last year I found via car-part.com MANY chevelle frames sitting in yards for $200-400 each. One yard in Oklahoma had over 20 of them stacked up. They are not rare and are not in demand any more. The yard cited the new Chinese clip as having killed their selling of them.
    Yes, I know what they are selling for. If my 1st grade math isn't failing me then $200-$400 for a junkyard clip is cheaper than $630 for the China clip, therefore making the initial cost of a China clip higher than a junkyard clip. They may not be super rare, but they were getting harder to find, especially a good solid straight one.

Everybody will have to start using crown vic clips easy to find and cheap.

"If a company was to build a longer lasting tire that had more speed do you think it would stay cheap very long?"

of course not....

"And do you think it wouldn't be improved on by another company that would charge more?"

Yes it would.....and here's my but(eww) the same tire isn't going to be the best tires for a given track surface, car type, chassis design, driver style, or budget so choices wins out on that argument. Another thing that needs considering of the 8000 or something UMP licenses sold last year, I'd guess 7000 or so of those racers aren't at the track expecting to win as much as they are expecting to have a good time and hope to make their money back so they can come back next week. I'd be more interested in saving those guys more money rather than the big budget guys. I don't really feel UMP is interested in small budget teams however. Picture an added 20 cars to the modified class at every track even with the typical top five having the best shot at winning. I also think tire chemicals should be allowed because I believe that guys are doing to make the tire better by lasting longer and saving money even at the added cost of the product. It's expensive to tech and I think likely goes on anyway.

I feel the same as you about the UMP tires, especially since UMP has a tire the same size as the current D and A that will last longer and have more speed. The RC2 and RC4. Why don't they use those in UMP? Because they aren't about giving anyone a better tire, they are about selling more tires. Changing clips, running on hockey pucks, opening up the tire rule, whatever your point of view, it's just a drop in the bucket in the big picture. The only way you'll get more guys running UMP mods again is making it more affordable by taking away lots of traction so you don't have a huge engine bill and so you aren't ripping tires apart at the rate they are now. If I could make any change to the current rules I would limit down travel in the rear suspension to 2" limited by a solid chain on each side, and make a solid pull bar and no lift arm rule. Anyone with a flashlight, Jack, and tape measure could check it after a race when the car is being scaled. You could build a fixture to go on the wheel and check it if you wanted to take the tape measure out of the equation. How's that for a thread hijack?

I could get on board with reducing traction as long as drivabilty didn't suffer too badly. I'd also increase the weight of the cars to 2600 or 2800 pounds to compliment the harder tire. A lot of good driving cars makes for exciting races even if it is a little bit slower laps times. We used to have a booming 4 cylinder front wheel drive class with nearly 40 entries most weeks. Even though the pace laps werent alot slower than the actual racing there was plenty of on track passing and door rubbing which made it fun to watch.

Ill use the USMTS/USRA spec head as an example. When this head is mandated, it has small ports to reduce power so everyone was forced to go to ultra light weight cranks and rods and pistons and driveshaft and rear gears and axles and hubs and a host of other parts to compensate but the prices of those all went sky high with the demand. I don't really think it's save the racer money but USRA does have a engine/weight rules that help a lot.

Racing cost's the same today as it did 30 years ago....every dime you have!
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 11-26-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Smile

They are not hard to find at all.. car-part.com

Rarity and price are no reason to allow a fabricated clip that will be a advantage, perceived or not.. Not to mention I guarantee you nobody is going to sell chassis xxx for 20k with stock clip, 21k Chinese clip, 19k fabricated clip it just wont happen.
    Of course they aren't hard to find right now. They've stacked up over the past few years at these yards because everyone switched to the China clips. As far as price, if your builder is buying a spec fab clip for roughly the same money he's getting a box full of un assembled stamped China parts then charging you the same price I'd be looking at other builders. It would be pretty hard to explain to the customer why the price was the same, but I'm certain the price wouldn't drop a dime at some places just like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    "If a company was to build a longer lasting tire that had more speed do you think it would stay cheap very long?"

of course not....

"And do you think it wouldn't be improved on by another company that would charge more?"

Yes it would.....and here's my but(eww) the same tire isn't going to be the best tires for a given track surface, car type, chassis design, driver style, or budget so choices wins out on that argument. Another thing that needs considering of the 8000 or something UMP licenses sold last year, I'd guess 7000 or so of those racers aren't at the track expecting to win as much as they are expecting to have a good time and hope to make their money back so they can come back next week. I'd be more interested in saving those guys more money rather than the big budget guys. I don't really feel UMP is interested in small budget teams however. Picture an added 20 cars to the modified class at every track even with the typical top five having the best shot at winning. I also think tire chemicals should be allowed because I believe that guys are doing to make the tire better by lasting longer and saving money even at the added cost of the product. It's expensive to tech and I think likely goes on anyway.

I feel the same as you about the UMP tires, especially since UMP has a tire the same size as the current D and A that will last longer and have more speed. The RC2 and RC4. Why don't they use those in UMP? Because they aren't about giving anyone a better tire, they are about selling more tires. Changing clips, running on hockey pucks, opening up the tire rule, whatever your point of view, it's just a drop in the bucket in the big picture. The only way you'll get more guys running UMP mods again is making it more affordable by taking away lots of traction so you don't have a huge engine bill and so you aren't ripping tires apart at the rate they are now. If I could make any change to the current rules I would limit down travel in the rear suspension to 2" limited by a solid chain on each side, and make a solid pull bar and no lift arm rule. Anyone with a flashlight, Jack, and tape measure could check it after a race when the car is being scaled. You could build a fixture to go on the wheel and check it if you wanted to take the tape measure out of the equation. How's that for a thread hijack?

I could get on board with reducing traction as long as drivabilty didn't suffer too badly. I'd also increase the weight of the cars to 2600 or 2800 pounds to compliment the harder tire. A lot of good driving cars makes for exciting races even if it is a little bit slower laps times. We used to have a booming 4 cylinder front wheel drive class with nearly 40 entries most weeks. Even though the pace laps werent alot slower than the actual racing there was plenty of on track passing and door rubbing which made it fun to watch.

Ill use the USMTS/USRA spec head as an example. When this head is mandated, it has small ports to reduce power so everyone was forced to go to ultra light weight cranks and rods and pistons and driveshaft and rear gears and axles and hubs and a host of other parts to compensate but the prices of those all went sky high with the demand. I don't really think it's save the racer money but USRA does have a engine/weight rules that help a lot.

Racing cost's the same today as it did 30 years ago....every dime you have!
    I guarantee you that 7000 out of 8000 racers are not doing this to kick back and have a good time. There are a small number of guys that show up like that, but the vast, vast majority are there because they want to win. They may know they are outgunned, but they do everything they can to compete and do the best they possibly can. If you spread the gap between those guys and the guys that have giant budgets, huge amounts of tires from multiple brands in multiple compounds that know when and where to use them you'll see those racers going to a different class or doing something else...

Taking away traction is THE ONLY way to make a significant reduction in overall cost. Of course It's going to reduce drivability, that's the idea.. And just as you have seen a lower overall cost will increase the number of competitors and bring up the entertainment factor.

You've got it right about the every dime part, but when your dimes don't equal a competitive chance you'll see guys leaving. It's been happening all over for years as speeds, traction, and cost increase hand in hand...

A modified should be a support class. The late model car should be the headline. IMO it's ok for people with big budgets to try and destroy the late model class but destroying the modified class shouldn't happen with $$ alone. $50K cars and $50K engines, $5000K shocks should be left to late model classes.

Even crate classes *aimed at being economical* should never be allowed to run a shock you can't buy over the counter for $100 bill. A welded shock only.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat View Post
    $50K cars and $50K engines, $5000K shocks should be left to late model classes.

If it was only that easy. I have seen lots of 50K+ cars running around in the back.
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports