Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Cleveland Speedway (Just Don't Understand)

I just don't understand. Why did the folks at Cleveland Speedway keep the few fans in the cold temperatures so long to see the super late model heat races? It certainly couldn't be concession sales. The supers roll out at close to midnight to run their heat races. Why? 75% of the 3 or 4 hundred people came to see the super late models. Why not qualify them at sunset, run their heats, and if people want to watch the ponies, street class, etc. then have at it. Can someone enlighten me? I am certainly missing something. I would think Cleveland Speedway would want repeat fans, last night will not accomplish that. If it was 72 degrees with a slight southern breeze, it might warrant a 1030 start for super late model heats, but midnight in high 30's and low 40's, come on Cleveland Speedway, no excuse for that debacle last evening. My friends and I will check the results Sunday morning, and good luck with future events. No more Gobbler's for me. JMO

Some promoters will never get it. Never have, never will.

After reading this I will stay home. Like the gentleman that started this post it is hard to understand why some tracks drag on and on. First of all I am not a fan of two day shows because the majority of fans won't go out in cold weather two nights in a row. And I find it funny that some of these tracks will have a Lucas or WOO race and do it all on one night. Now I understand that you can't do everything in one night at the World or The Dream. But a $10,000 to win show usually draws fewer cars and you can do everything in one night if you want.
    I think the biggest issue is that many tracks insist on having way to many support classes during a big show. Two or three support classes is enough. If you want to promote a good show move it along. And I want to commend another track of something I had never seen in person for at their last big race. They had four cars run four laps of practice and take the best time as their qualifying time. That saves a lot of time.
    And since I am on my soapbox here I want to say this in regards to weekly shows......pill draw for heat races and forget wasting time on qualifying. I have heard many people complain about having to watch two hours of qualifying and wearing out the racing surface.
    JMO
    Last edited by MidTnDirtFan; 11-21-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Were there any delays in program or did y'all just sit there till midnight to see a race? Surely there was an issue to push things till midnight...
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

Smile sit there?

No, there were no delays. Sit there till midnight? What choice do we have as fans? As stated the majority came to see Owens, Weaver, Madden, McDowell, etc. But looking back at it now, do not think there was a single pass of anyone in the heat races. Just a debacle from the word go. They are starting at 5 today, however if they drag along like they did last night, it will be midnight again. But tonight, I will be looking for updates, cause I sure ain't sitting out there again to watch ponies, warriors or whatever they called them. No more Gobbler's for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperEight View Post
    Were there any delays in program or did y'all just sit there till midnight to see a race? Surely there was an issue to push things till midnight...

There was no passing because every race Ray Cook is involved in has the worst format imaginable. That's pretty common for the south in general. If the heat races are started straight up how can there possibly be any passing? The cars are lined up fastest to slowest before the race even starts.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    There was no passing because every race Ray Cook is involved in has the worst format imaginable. That's pretty common for the south in general. If the heat races are started straight up how can there possibly be any passing? The cars are lined up fastest to slowest before the race even starts.
    You mean like the one Mike Marlar won from 9th on Thursday night?

Whatever the format, there is no excuse for starting the main event at midnight barring some disaster. Keeping your fans in the stands for 5 or 6 hours is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by upaginit in North GA View Post
    I just don't understand. Why did the folks at Cleveland Speedway keep the few fans in the cold temperatures so long to see the super late model heat races? It certainly couldn't be concession sales. The supers roll out at close to midnight to run their heat races. Why? 75% of the 3 or 4 hundred people came to see the super late models. Why not qualify them at sunset, run their heats, and if people want to watch the ponies, street class, etc. then have at it. Can someone enlighten me? I am certainly missing something. I would think Cleveland Speedway would want repeat fans, last night will not accomplish that. If it was 72 degrees with a slight southern breeze, it might warrant a 1030 start for super late model heats, but midnight in high 30's and low 40's, come on Cleveland Speedway, no excuse for that debacle last evening. My friends and I will check the results Sunday morning, and good luck with future events. No more Gobbler's for me. JMO
    I left early before the supers, but that gives me no reason to bash the track. you new before you went it would be cold and a long night. it always is with that many cars there. instead of complaining just say nothing. ive gone to tracks, sat there thrue qualyfing and hot laps, to be told waiting on ambulance. its after ten working next day. no way iwas gonna stay, so I left, did not expext money back or anything. one of those deals.
    victim

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    I guess Lucas, WOO, and UMP all have similar format are out to lunch. I believe it is more track conditions. First of all red clay gets hard and dry pretty easy and after a night of practice and all those other classes running on the track there isn't any grip. And that means train racing. Chances are that they won't do anything but add some water and hope it will soak down.....NOT. Format isn't the problem asphalt track conditions are.

Sounds almost at bad as sitting till 2 or 3 a.m. in Charlotte only to get the feature laps cut.

Smile Think u missed my point

There was no rain delay, no missing ambulance, or wrecker. They just continuously dragged it out. You are absolutely correct, I knew it would be cold, I was prepared for that. You know as well as I do, they could have run the super late models a long time before they did, it was obvious that time management and fan consideration was not on anyone's mind last night. I have been going to Cleveland since the late 70's, more recently to just the big shows, but no more for me. So, you just left? JMO

Quote Originally Posted by acetone View Post
    I left early before the supers, but that gives me no reason to bash the track. you new before you went it would be cold and a long night. it always is with that many cars there. instead of complaining just say nothing. ive gone to tracks, sat there thrue qualyfing and hot laps, to be told waiting on ambulance. its after ten working next day. no way iwas gonna stay, so I left, did not expext money back or anything. one of those deals.

Track got to get rid them old dogs,want keep till shamrock race

They had 31 supers 50 crates and 30-40 limiteds that shouldve been enuff support for two day race when I seen the car count Idwoutdve ask the other support classes to pack em up or ran them sunday or thursday and had a practice for the lates after IMO

Quote Originally Posted by upaginit in North GA View Post
    There was no rain delay, no missing ambulance, or wrecker. They just continuously dragged it out. You are absolutely correct, I knew it would be cold, I was prepared for that. You know as well as I do, they could have run the super late models a long time before they did, it was obvious that time management and fan consideration was not on anyone's mind last night. I have been going to Cleveland since the late 70's, more recently to just the big shows, but no more for me. So, you just left? JMO
    yeah I just left, not knocking you. could do with out the road warriors and mod mini though. I'm sure running a track is a thankless job. was out of there last night at ten thirty though, stayed for all racing but road warriors. hate 3 car racing. that's how many cars were there.
    victim

This has always been the problem with the Gobbler no matter the format they run. When it was a one-day show, it would be almost two hours between SLM qualifying and their heats. The SLM feature wouldn't be over until midnight or later. I know they want to give all their classes a chance to run the last race of the season. But when you have over 100 late models and they all qualify and heat race all of them, that makes for a long program. At least Saturday went by pretty fast compared to Friday.

Exclamation

I agree Saturday was much better. However, the point remains. DO NOT HOLD SLM FANS HOSTAGE through all the support classes! We will not buy another hot dog at that point and you are only preventing fans who have a longer drive from deciding in favor of your race next time. PLEASE run only enough support class races in front of the SLM feature to give them time to prepare their cars. Running the SLM feature earlier helps with traffic and provides us the option of staying for other parts of the show when we do not long drives or need to be up for church the next morning. I really think promoters would attract more fans than they realize if they would make this easy format change. As it stands now, the Gobbler is on the "Never again" list for us.

Yes, it has always been a problem for the Gobbler and Shamrock, but it doesn't have to be. It don't matter if you have 300 cars in other classes, you qualify the supers, its already dark. Let a B-hobby class run their two heats, run the super late model heats. WA-LA, then if other fans want to stay all night watching the road warriors and ponies, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    They had 31 supers 50 crates and 30-40 limiteds that shouldve been enuff support for two day race when I seen the car count Idwoutdve ask the other support classes to pack em up or ran them sunday or thursday and had a practice for the lates after IMO
    I'm certain that would be the last race, or close to it that you ever promoted. Tracks need the smaller classes to survive all season when they don't have the big SLM guys in town. How do you think those smaller classes (who are still putting a lot of money in their cars) would react to being told to pack it up? They possibly traveled for the race too, do you think they would be cool if you said "Our car counts are too high, I'll run your feature in a couple days... its no problem you can just get a hotel room right?!". I'm sure that would figure into the decision making process on what track that driver runs at next season.

They certainly should have moved the SLM up to the front of the running order, especially if it is just heat races that night. But moving divisions off the schedule would be a horrible move.

If Obama loved America, he'd issue an exec order: Late Model feature must start before 10:00 p.m. (9:30 preferred). Real Americans don't want a five or six hour show.