Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default i want to know more about the device

Need more info, with only this picture i cant work out in my head or graph paper how this works. maybe if i saw it from the side view? im gonna say what i see if you wanna say what you see great, if you wanna pm me great. im not a millionaire this is the best way i can learn about this i know its dirty to post pics of other peoples car but its no secret anymore we all seen it on fb by now so lets get to the bottom of it. people say its a cantilever. i know old school cantilever its different not as simple. people say oh its old tech there just doing a modern take. maybe but i been looking at cars a long time. this aint no "spring rod" and it aint as simple as a rayburn or howe cantilever. soooo lets start. first look at the picture i have pinned. there are numbered lines drawn to the parts i see.
    #1 looks like a threaded short shock body of some kind cant see what it is connected to or its purpose but it looks to be above or in front of the axle tube so maybe a limiter or something not sure what you think?
    #2 also seems to be some sort of cusioned limiter? looks to be bolted in where it top rod would bolt? hard to tell? is there a top rod on this setup? is it a 3 link ls/4 link r/s with this thing hooked in there?
    #3looks like some sort of lever prob where the cantilever stuff comes in but how is it connected to that cushoned mount (#2) looks like it has tape on it is it a chain? is it some long threaded thing hard to see
    #4 well is some sort of hydralic control devise. with bumps on it.appears to be fully collapsed in the std ride height position so can say it extends as lr drops? is it a dampener or does it use hydralic pressuer to push or pull something we can see it has a line going to a canister? gas pressure canister? almost looks like a schrader valve on it but also looks to be mounted into the birdcage system maybe?
    #5 looks to be the bottom bar of 4 link mounted in a normal position?

-where is the top bar?
    -How does lr drop start the device moving?
    -Stacked lr spring to alow spring preload at all times seen it before but not quite like that.
    -is it on a floated bird cage or is it locked out like a 3 link?

ill go ahead and apologize to the rumleys for posting and asking but i am curious and im nobody that wins all the time or can afford to buy"knowlege" so how else will i learn until its lapping me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default pic

pic w diff format

Helps it turn in better and have more forward bite

When you get it, Team Zero wants to know!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Confucius say "Those who look at others cars will always be behind them"

Ok maybe he didn't say that exactly but because the pics didn't work, and math and geometry isn't a top secret government thing, I'd say the driver/team has figured a way to manipulate rear steer dynamically.

evidently the pics are jammed nobody can see them? i dont see what the big deal is its been shared on facebook by prettymuch everyone the cat was out of the bag weeks ago. ive gained quite a bit of inspiration from studying it but lets face it the 4 link works pretty darn good, i dont have the time or money to test anything really so im not going down that road but im just a small time racer who wanted to understand what it was, talk about ,it and really admire the intelect and balls it took to move from something that worked so well into somethinh unknown.

If you have enough money, I'll tell you EXACTLY what it is/does. Call my bluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
    If you have enough money, I'll tell you EXACTLY what it is/does. Call my bluff.
    What is your PRI booth number?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I started a similar thread a couple of months ago and was told by many that there is nothing to see here.

There IS a top bar but it is hard to see. Assuming you're looking at the same picture that we all have, start at the top left of the picture. "Behind" the bump rubber (what I believe to be the actual travel limiter) you can see a red heim joint. Then from that, below the right side of the horizontal tube securing the bump rubber assembly to the frame, you can see the black hex tube running down to the birdcage. Its pickup point on the birdcage is covered up by the shock and canister for the shock that we are all interested in.
    I could be wrong (for enough money Necrosis can tell us) but I think the intent of the device is to increase loading of the LR as the LR moves away from the frame. It's using forward thrust to amplify anti-squat above and beyond just what the 4-bar system alone would provide. JMO...like you said, a side view image would provide anybody with a mechanical background with enough to understand exactly how it works.

Matt49
    we are looking at the same photo and i see what your talking about, i can stop thinking about half of what i thought it might be, i see the top rod now. this is the last im posting about it unless more is revealed later. apparently its a touchy subject so ill leave it alone. thanks for the replys

Quote Originally Posted by andy16 View Post
    Matt49
    we are looking at the same photo and i see what your talking about, i can stop thinking about half of what i thought it might be, i see the top rod now. this is the last im posting about it unless more is revealed later. apparently its a touchy subject so ill leave it alone. thanks for the replys
    Welcome to the world of "reverse engineering". Despite all of the "innovation" talk you may hear. Reverse engineering is what has kept racing alive in our genre. You just find something someone else is doing and copy it and/or make it "better" by changing one small thing. Patents and intellectual property are apparently not things dumb old racers think about....nor their lawyers. Just wait...It'll get REAL when the money rolls in and the mythical "next level" arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Welcome to the world of "reverse engineering". Despite all of the "innovation" talk you may hear. Reverse engineering is what has kept racing alive in our genre. You just find something someone else is doing and copy it and/or make it "better" by changing one small thing. Patents and intellectual property are apparently not things dumb old racers think about....nor their lawyers. Just wait...It'll get REAL when the money rolls in and the mythical "next level" arrives.
    Kinda hard to go see if some other racer welded up some stuff to look like yours at one of the hundreds of dirt tracks in the country. That could get pretty expensive.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There is one picture floating around Facebook and people have been trading around for a while. There are more picture(s) but they are not being shared. The side view picture is the harder to get ahold of one.

So this thing is something like a telescoping rod that goes from the LS birdcage upper mount to the frame somewhere near the upper link mount on the frame? I'm picturing a brake floater....mounted from frame to birdcage, can telescope and has adjustable travel limiting via bump stops.

Double posted sorry

you're welcome !

Is that a small dampner/shock (black threaded body) running vertically from the chassis to the J-Bar? It might be just behind it.

The whole thing looks like somebody walked around the shop, picked up a bunch of crap laying around and started bolting it on the car

I'm dubious.

I am no engineer but wait I work on race cars so maybe I am. Looks like to me in simple terms it increases load on the left rear wheel as the bird cage rotates. A friend of mine talked to Chris Madden about his Longhorn and Madden told him it is hands down the best racecar he has ever sat in he could not believe a car would be that good.Now the person he told this is no johnny come lately who once built race car himself. Just thought I would throw this out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    I am no engineer but wait I work on race cars so maybe I am. Looks like to me in simple terms it increases load on the left rear wheel as the bird cage rotates. A friend of mine talked to Chris Madden about his Longhorn and Madden told him it is hands down the best racecar he has ever sat in he could not believe a car would be that good.Now the person he told this is no johnny come lately who once built race car himself. Just thought I would throw this out there.
    But Madden doesn't have that contraption.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1