Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

when its available for purchase, it will probably cost more than my whole car,lol. this is starting to make the one shock per corner rule look better and better..........

Has way too many moving parts to be very reliable. It would require constant attention. Like every other part on your race car isn't already!

I don't know SCD, that looks like a small canister shock hooked to it to me.

I think your right, probably a way to adjust bite from within the car. but, wouldn't that be illegal ?

I think Stock Car Driver nailed it, cantilever birdcage. Separates the two bars, after the top bar bottoms out against the stop, and then it begins to compress the little shock contraption on the birdcage.

It Explains why JD's car's LR is hiked a foot higher than most others on the track. You can look at photos from Florence's North South and see it.

Also, get a load at how much preload that LR spring has on it, gees is it a 100lb spring or what?

Just say no...

Still thinking out loud here, but could then intent be to take out rear steer via the LRL bar being head to a certain drop dimension. Then separate the top bar, and allow the rear end to "over index" and create a lot of LRU bar angle, the little shock controls this indexing.

This is very interesting ! thanks for that pic.

Just say no...

So something like this?

http://i.imgur.com/t6OCTNe.png - For full size

Green = Frame
    Yellow = Trailing Rods
    Cyan = Birdcage
    Red = Cantilever
    Orange/Yellow = Cantilever Hike Shock
    Gray/Purple = Cantilever Compression Dampener
    Pink = Coil-over

Obviously not drawn to exact angles/sizes/whatnot. And there's some more going on in the pic on top of the cantilever, but I can't tell what it is
    Last edited by TS3g; 11-25-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Did not know Madden did not have that on his car.Maybe on Davenport car that's what they want you see so you won't see what is really going on.I have done this myself before to keep people from seeing what I am really doing.That'sa pretty good statement looks like a bunch of crap they had laying around and just welded it up. Two different people who saw Madden at Cleveland were telling me how Maddens car kept the nose flat all the way thru corner and down straightaways.They said there was not another car there that looked like his and it looked like his car turned with the front end and was not all dumped over on.RF That's the same thing as Davenport has done all year.I had another friend who got to measure a Longhorn bare chassis he said it not a lot different than any thing else out there.He did say though the lower a frames were different than anything else out there he said they do not flex and have extra bars thru out the chassis.
    Last edited by RW57; 11-25-2015 at 03:45 PM.

I think you have it, TS3g. Looks like what I saw.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Why the two heims mounted to the bottom of the birdcage? I know one is the trailing arm, but what is the other attached to? Looks like theres a bracket welded to both tubes.
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

what interests me is the stacked lr spring , and the lrf shock location and mounting

look past the head of the lr shock, theres a threaded body there not shur what im seeing. original picture

Cantilever setup where you can control steer and hike independently? Maybe Im wrong but I think this is what they are doing.

Does anybody remember the custom chassis cantalever set up that Freddy Smith used to dominate with years ago he was just about unbeatable for a while with it.I think its the same type deal but more refined.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQQ View Post
    ....anyone see the jbar in this pic? I don't

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    ....anyone see the jbar in this pic? I don't
    Because a J-bar is not necessary. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The biggest thing anyone can learn from this, is not what the device is/does, but that you shouldn't let linguistics define the box that you think in. And for that, we are all guilty. Bottom line, your time is spent best not copying, but by removing any and all barriers in your thought process. This includes language. Dirt cars don't speak English, they speak the same language engineers do. Physics.

great post Necrosis, I believe I see a jbar in the first picture directly behind the spring steel .

Davensnort didn't win every race with this contraption and the races he lost were lost to guys running regular 4 links. Davensnort wouldn't have won half as many if he wasn't one of the top 3 guys in the country at hammering the cushion. There's stupid speed in the cushion if you hit it right and a junk race car if you don't . He's VERY good at running the cushion. I can see a lot of people wasting a lot of time and money tying to copy this ...

...as far as the J bar goes.....some sort of lateral locating device is required unless it's a triangulated four link.

The recipe for success is a good equipment, quality financial backing, and a good driver. All those guys on the premier level have the first two. In order to compete at the top level a number some of the things are required. Sacrifice of your life, competitive drive, willingness to let it kill you, focus, natural ability, and refined skills from practicing perfectly. I'd say it more likely that Davenport biggest advantage is some combination of the above rather than a bolt on device. I think it looks like a travel limiter to me with a damper.