Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

That race or the race that was won by 14 laps at Darlington by Ned Jarrett would have been allowed to run that way today under Brian France and the Tomfoolery that goes on.

how about the 1972 Daytona race when ford finally debuted the 427 cammer they had spent millions on and took years to develop, only to run it ONE race and it got banned. of course neil bonnet lapped the field 2 or 3 times that day. next day bill france banned big blocks. ford boycotted nascar for a while, only to finally come back with ernie Elliott and bill and guess what, nascar beat them down again. those were the good ole days when some one could take the rules and out think everyone else and earn an advantage. those days are gone with every aspect of the car being controlled by nascar from the beginning......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    how about the 1972 Daytona race when ford finally debuted the 427 cammer they had spent millions on and took years to develop, only to run it ONE race and it got banned. of course neil bonnet lapped the field 2 or 3 times that day. next day bill france banned big blocks. ford boycotted nascar for a while, only to finally come back with ernie Elliott and bill and guess what, nascar beat them down again. those were the good ole days when some one could take the rules and out think everyone else and earn an advantage. those days are gone with every aspect of the car being controlled by nascar from the beginning......
    Wow fastford! Your mention of the Ford cammer brings a flood of nostalgia. My favorite Indy Car driver of all time, Al Unser Sr., drove Ford cammer powered USAC Championship Dirt Cars back in the days when the National Championship Trail went through places like Springfield, Du Quoin, Syracuse and Sacramento. Sadly, I was too young to be able to attend the Champ Car races at those places in those days but I've read and heard the stories.

Just a side note to the Ford cammer. I went to Smokey Yunick's auction at his truck dealership and race shop on Beach Street in Holy Hill, which is basically Daytona, back in 1988. There was a complete Smokey Yunick built Ford cammer strapped to a wood pallet that brought in excess of $35,000.00. 35 large bought a lot more in those days than now. I doubt you could touch an authentic Ford cammer for less than 50 large or more these days. I got to touch it for nothing!! LOL!

what about when petty won but the engine was illegal, that may have been the start that everybody has the same equal block and the downfall of nascar.

On this thread alone, I'm opening a winery. There seems to be an abundance of "sour grapes" in this harvest!

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    On this thread alone, I'm opening a winery. There seems to be an abundance of "sour grapes" in this harvest!
    Maybe this isn't the board for you then lol.