Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Happy Thanksgiving CIRF

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    cnbf, David had an abdominal aneurysm back in October of 2014 which landed him in the hospital for about a week and then in early December 2014 he had a mild stroke. From what I've read he's doing well and is nearly 100% recovered from the stroke. Don't know if he's back driving or riding his Harley these days or not.

I had a chance to meet David a few years back and circumstances played out that I missed him by about 1/2 hour. It was at Du Quoin prior to the ARCA race on the Magic Mile. David's son was racing that day. We stayed on the lake about a half hour too long. Still makes me mad but we had no one else to blame but ourselves.

David Pearson was one of those guys that if you gave him a reason he'd "tune you up" so to speak. A young Tim Richmond crossed that painful line once. Legend has it that Tim came looking for David after the 1984 Firecracker 400. Tim was pissed off because he believed Pearson's car was throwing oil and Richmond thought David should have parked it. Well, Tim made the painful mistake of getting in David's face and saying something like "listen you old fool". One punch and Richmond ended up on his ass with a big fat black eye for about a week.

Pearson and Junior Johnson are widely considered the 2 best drivers in NASCAR history. Both were not comfortable in the limelight and both were perfect gentlemen until ya' pissed 'em off.

Many of the drivers of today could learn a whole lot from guys like Pearson, Johnson, The King, Cale and Bobby Allison, among others. Don't run your mouth and be willing to throw down to settle a score as opposed to wrecking each others equipment and putting lives in danger.
    Thanks for the info CIRF, as always, top notch stuff. Guessing that's why my Dad liked him. And yeah, I laugh at the "fights", any of these drivers in NASCRAP get in anymore. A.J, Hewitt, Charlie Swartz, David, Allisons, Yarborough etc, could help them out.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I always liked this story, which is true, by the way:

“Darlington always has been a ‘white knuckle’ track for almost every driver,” Buddy Baker recalled recently. “Things were getting especially tense in that ’76 race because David and I had been back and forth at each other so much, swapping the lead. I know that I felt tension, and I figured David did, too.

“Then, going down the backstretch, he pulled alongside to pass. I looked over and David was driving with one hand and lighting a cigarette with the other!

“He appeared just as cool as if he was sitting in a rocking chair on his porch back home. I’ve got to be honest. It unsettled me a little bit.”

Pearson led the last 12 laps to edge Baker by seven-tenths of a second.

Other drivers also have told of seeing Pearson drive by while firing up a smoke with a cigarette lighter that was built into the dash of the Wood Brothers cars he drove to so many victories.

Darlington was my first big race I attended fell in love with the place went there with the 72 rookie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by blncfn57 View Post
    It is not the rules! The rule says you must attempt to qualify for every race. It was a "waiver" that got him in. So, yes, in a sense they changed the rules. Guys have always had to be careful what they did in their free time to make sure they were healthy for the season that paid the bills. Kyle wanting to be a big fish in a little pond should not excuse him from the rules that the majority of the drivers had to go by. Most guys are dedicated to NSCS racing and plan their lives around it.... that's what champions do, not put themselves in harms way and expect the sympathy train to come rescue them. How many guys have been taken out of a championship season because of injuries over the years? What a kick in the balls to all of them. It's heartbreaking to see the pussification of America trickle down into racing. Kyle is a beast behind the wheel, but if your kid missed 1/3 of soccer season, they wouldn't even get a participation trophy.
    This might be the absolute best post on this subject to date and the post and author deserves recognition. In reference to guys getting hurt and being instantly eliminated from championship contention, Sterling Marlin got hurt while in the midst of what might have been a championship run back in the early 2000's. Wonder what he would say about how things went down this season?
    Quote Originally Posted by blncfn57 View Post
    There was no b!tching then because Hamlins mouth always gets in the way of a championship anyway. As for guys bragging about Kyle Busch having 150 Nascar wins..... he has like 34 cup wins... and one championship now (that will be overshadowed by the drunk Brian Frances "quick to react" persona.) All that in 11- 12 seasons doesn't put him on top of any list, altho he is on the list.
    Another very good post. Thank you for presenting the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Thanks for the info CIRF, as always, top notch stuff. Guessing that's why my Dad liked him. And yeah, I laugh at the "fights", any of these drivers in NASCRAP get in anymore. A.J, Hewitt, Charlie Swartz, David, Allisons, Yarborough etc, could help them out.
    You're more than welcome cbnf. Good to hear from you again!!

That's quite a list of punch artists you posted there! LOL! They'd all "tune you up" if they thought a guy deserved it. The best garage area dust up we've seen in a long time was when Marcos Ambrose gave Casey Mears a fairly good right hand to the side of the face after a race at Richmond a year or two ago.

This might be the absolute best post on this subject to date and the post and author deserves recognition. In reference to guys getting hurt and being instantly eliminated from championship contention, Sterling Marlin got hurt while in the midst of what might have been a championship run back in the early 2000's. Wonder what he would say about how things went down this season?

That's quite a list of punch artists you posted there! LOL! They'd all "tune you up" if they thought a guy deserved it. The best garage area dust up we've seen in a long time was when Marcos Ambrose gave Casey Mears a fairly good right hand to the side of the face after a race at Richmond a year or two ago.
    And the b!tch of it is he's an Aussie. Nice seeing you too CIRF
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

And don't forget Jimmy Spencer giving Kurt Busch a good old Pennsylvania nose job!
    Knocked that smug c0cky arrogant grin right off his face....

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    And the b!tch of it is he's an Aussie.
    Aussie people arent scared of anything. They are my kind of people. That punch happened so quick, I had to rewind it twice to make sure that was what happen. Funny stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Aussie people arent scared of anything. They are my kind of people. That punch happened so quick, I had to rewind it twice to make sure that was what happen. Funny stuff for sure.
    Yeah I agree with ya, it's just funny the last real fight/punch in NASCAR was an Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    And don't forget Jimmy Spencer giving Kurt Busch a good old Pennsylvania nose job!
    Knocked that smug c0cky arrogant grin right off his face....
    Yep lol. Saying over the radio you intentionally took out Spencer, well, obviously he didn't know Jimmy's past.

Thumbs up Congrats to KB and Joe Gibbs Racing, you did everything they asked you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    What a joke it's become, I'm lost on this chase deal, can some nascar experts help out those of us that just don't get it.
    I'm actually more put out with the, "10 laps to go debris cautions". If you think about it, KB broke his leg, missed 11 starts and then jumped thru all the hoops they set up for him to qualify, I dont think they expected him to. In dirt we have hardship rules to help competitors who experience setbacks of different kinds, so.... I don't like NASCRAP and havent in more than 10 years, but I do occasionally watch with the outside hope things have improved since I last watched, but generally I'm disappointed every time with their obvious attempts to add drama and massage the outcomes, but I've seen that at my local track too, so... At least at the dirt track its not so in my face every week like NAPCAR. I'm also ticked that they stole the win from Kyle Larson, who put on a driving/concentration clinic for 400 miles. JMO
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

I might have agreed with the last post up until the Larson part. He wasnt leading when the caution came out. But then again I am not a fan of his and never will be so I just see it how it is. I dont own a Toyota either for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart50 View Post
    I might have agreed with the last post up until the Larson part. He wasnt leading when the caution came out. But then again I am not a fan of his and never will be so I just see it how it is. I dont own a Toyota either for the same reason.
    You're right. He wasn't leading but he was closing really fast. With the # of laps remaining, I think Kyle Larson wins under green. Problem is, rarely NASCAR races finish the last 10 laps under green.
    8/13/16

As someone mentioned earlier, watching Larson run virtually inches from the outside wall lap after lap was something to see.

I don't recall ever seeing a car run that close to the wall that long.

Smile

As someone mentioned earlier, watching Larson run virtually inches from the outside wall lap after lap was something to see.

I don't recall ever seeing a car run that close to the wall that long.

Larson is exciting to watch when he runs that wall thats for sure... I have to agree with HH25 though he may not of been leading when the caution came out but had it of stayed green Larson would of won that race!
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Saw first race in 1973, last in 1992. For the 4M crowd what you have now is not racing, not sure what it is. Kyle Busch missed races and still won championship... no way

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart50 View Post
    So you don't like Kyle Larson because you think he's Japanese??? He was gaining a full second a lap on the leader and had closed to within 1 second, so mathematically he was most likely going to swing by and take the lead on the next lap. Like him or not he was driving the wheels off that car.
    Last edited by SuperEight; 11-28-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

It doesn't matter what anyone says NASCAR points championship is a joke and it doesn't crown a champ for the whole year just the last half. It's 100% a reflection of how many pu$$ies we have in our country. Everyone seems to want to be given something and there's no desire to earn anything anymore. I do think that Kyle Busch is a great driver and one of the best but he did not earn the championship in my book. I would rather have year long points with no chase but they've totally made their rules into a circus. Yes other professional leagues have made changes to their playoff format but they also don't let all the teams compete in the playoffs. If nascar wants playoffs then they should only allow the top 10 in pts instead of pretty much everyone. It just makes all the races before the chase irrelevant. I like Kyle Busch and I do think he'll win multiple championships throughout the rest of his career but he did not earn the championship in 2015. He did earn it according to nascars Mickey Mouse rules but if you ask me (and I think most others) he did not earn it. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would think this is a good format to use. Gotta give everybody a chance, right? No point in earning things nowadays just let everyone qualify for the chase. Pay Burger King employees $15/hour. Cops can no longer shoot criminals because they're people too. Tax the rich so the lower class can still sit on their couch eating cheesy poofs and not work but still live a lavish lifestyle. This country is going to sh!t and I got two words that will save us all... Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by waaac77 View Post
    It doesn't matter what anyone says NASCAR points championship is a joke and it doesn't crown a champ for the whole year just the last half. It's 100% a reflection of how many pu$$ies we have in our country. Everyone seems to want to be given something and there's no desire to earn anything anymore. I do think that Kyle Busch is a great driver and one of the best but he did not earn the championship in my book. I would rather have year long points with no chase but they've totally made their rules into a circus. Yes other professional leagues have made changes to their playoff format but they also don't let all the teams compete in the playoffs. If nascar wants playoffs then they should only allow the top 10 in pts instead of pretty much everyone. It just makes all the races before the chase irrelevant. I like Kyle Busch and I do think he'll win multiple championships throughout the rest of his career but he did not earn the championship in 2015. He did earn it according to nascars Mickey Mouse rules but if you ask me (and I think most others) he did not earn it. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would think this is a good format to use. Gotta give everybody a chance, right? No point in earning things nowadays just let everyone qualify for the chase. Pay Burger King employees $15/hour. Cops can no longer shoot criminals because they're people too. Tax the rich so the lower class can still sit on their couch eating cheesy poofs and not work but still live a lavish lifestyle. This country is going to sh!t and I got two words that will save us all... Donald Trump.
    Lol. NASCAR going to a playoff format, somehow translates to lets vote for Donald, ok? Could it be they are just trying to make a boring product exciting. That doing away with tracks with some excitement, and putting in tracks in big cities that are cookie cutter, was a terrible mistake. And they've alienated actual fans who know racing, for phony fans who'll be gone before they know it, like now.

Quote Originally Posted by waaac77 View Post
    Pay Burger King employees $15/hour. Cops can no longer shoot criminals because they're people too. Tax the rich so the lower class can still sit on their couch eating cheesy poofs and not work but still live a lavish lifestyle. This country is going to sh!t and I got two words that will save us all... Donald Trump.
    Fox News got ya all riled up?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEight View Post
    So you don't like Kyle Larson because you think he's Japanese??? He was gaining a full second a lap on the leader and had closed to within 1 second, so mathematically he was most likely going to swing by and take the lead on the next lap. Like him or not he was driving the wheels off that car.
    There is no think about it. That is the only reason he has his ride...