Default Question on tire sizes

Running NeSmith, what tire sizes are people running on all 4 corners? Running the D21, there is the 28.5 which has the groove that goes at an angle across the tire, Im assuming people run those on the fronts. Theres the 88, the 90 and 92. Are people running the 88 on LR and 92? How much stagger does this give compared to running 90 LR and 92 RR?

Yes the angle grooved tires at front tires. I only run 90's and a 92 on the right rear. I just use a smaller chalk mark on the left rear compared to the front tires. I try to run 89" tires on the front and about an 87-88 on the left rear depending on how big the right rear ends up being. You gotta know your chalk marks and hopefully whoever is selling the tires will be some help as well. Hope this helps some. John 1*
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
    — Heraclitus

Are there 90's in angle groove or just the 28.5's?

The 28.5 is the only angle groove "steer" tire.

you can run the 88.0 or 90.0 on the left rear. the 88 will typically get you 5+" of stagger, the 90 will put you 3.5" -4.5" assuming the RR rolls out 92-ish

chalk marks/green size is a good guidline but i have seen them off by as much as an inch in some cases. luckily my tire guy will let me swap/exchange if i need to.

thanks for the info

Always measure your tires yourself...

Of course I will do that. My main question was whether to run the 88 or 90 on left rear and what to expect as far as difference in stagger between the 2.

Anybody run blocked tires on the front? Seems like it would help with tire management if you have blocked tires all the way around. Do you guys think the diagonal steer tires make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by team32 View Post
    Anybody run blocked tires on the front? Seems like it would help with tire management if you have blocked tires all the way around. Do you guys think the diagonal steer tires make a difference?
    I run whatever I have that is the right size. Lucas Oil guys run all blocks for the reason you stated. Rules only allow 2 tires changed prior to the feature event. You need to rotate good rubber.

My experience is that front groove pattern is pretty far down the list of speed items.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Thanks for your input. We are getting our game plan for the season and trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. Its going to be challenging enough without being able to re-groove the crossbars on the d-21's..

We stay with 3 92's and a 90 on the lr. That will usually get about 4" and will go to an 88 to get 5 or more.

Many of the supers are doing the same now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    We stay with 3 92's and a 90 on the lr. That will usually get about 4" and will go to an 88 to get 5 or more.

Many of the supers are doing the same now.
    I never liked big tires on the front. Steering feels inexact to me.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I always thought about the nlms days where we ran a 12" wheel on a 90. I assumed there wouldnt be much difference with a 92 on a 14.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    I always thought about the nlms days where we ran a 12" wheel on a 90. I assumed there wouldnt be much difference with a 92 on a 14.
    It works for some people. Back in the 90s to 2000s, when we had rib tires and LSB tires, LSB was the ticket to steer at East Bay. I liked them on the front of my car at all times. And I'm talking 90s, not 92s. They came both ways.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It works for some people. Back in the 90s to 2000s, when we had rib tires and LSB tires, LSB was the ticket to steer at East Bay. I liked them on the front of my car at all times. And I'm talking 90s, not 92s. They came both ways.
    Would you run a d21 or a crate21 there?