Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rockets New Longhorn

Saw the pictures of the chassis. Looks pretty familiar. lol Maybe this will redeem them for the orange chassis

Where can I see these pictures?

Rockets Facebook Page, It's a lot different from their other chassis. Bolt on Link Brackets. Cage moved. Just a whole redesign. Interesting I would like to see the component sheet. Bet that won't be available unless you buy the chassis lol I know where one will be in a few weeks.....

Looks identical to the Orange in the rear minus the brackets

Our underslung orange doesn't look like that....
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdbite View Post
    Looks identical to the Orange in the rear minus the brackets

Im talking about how the rear clip is designed. On closer look it is different than ours.
    Last edited by fwdbite; 12-01-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Not smarta$$ questions. But I can't figure out what difference the tail section makes - all that behind the link brackets? All it does in my brain is hold the fuel cell and brace the rollbar. And moving the cage in - if you have to have ballast anyway, what difference does that make? I can see how the front geometry can make a difference. But all this other stuff seems like marketing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by catgo22 View Post
    Not smarta$$ questions. But I can't figure out what difference the tail section makes - all that behind the link brackets? All it does in my brain is hold the fuel cell and brace the rollbar. And moving the cage in - if you have to have ballast anyway, what difference does that make? I can see how the front geometry can make a difference. But all this other stuff seems like marketing to me.
    It can change the rigidity of the back of the car and therefor the rigidity of the rear shock/spring mounts as well as the rigidity of the car as a whole.

Lower moment of inertia, anyone? My belief is that this is part of the reason behind the trending of shorter down tubes coming off the back of the halo. Starting to look more like northeast modifieds in the back these days.

Thats what i'm thinking I think they are compacting the polar moment as close as possible and lowering But mounting lead ballast higher if that makes sense.... dunno need more toilet thinking time lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Lower moment of inertia, anyone? My belief is that this is part of the reason behind the trending of shorter down tubes coming off the back of the halo. Starting to look more like northeast modifieds in the back these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    I believe that the reason you see shorter down tubes is because everyone is going to an underrail rear clip and stiffening cars up. It's very common to build an underrail car like that, and it's been done for years. I believe if it was lower moment center they were really going after you'd see some funky fuel cells also, not just shorter rear down tubes. My thoughts on Rocket moving the cage to the right is most likely because Longhorn did it so Rocket copied it. Just like the bolt on 4 link brackets, bolt on rear upper shock mounts, plate style crossmember, upper control arm mount redesign with removable slugs, copied Rumley device for the LR, etc, etc... That's kinda Rockets thing. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bcollins82 View Post
    My thoughts on Rocket moving the cage to the right is most likely because Longhorn did it so Rocket copied it. Just like the bolt on 4 link brackets, bolt on rear upper shock mounts, plate style crossmember, upper control arm mount redesign with removable slugs, copied Rumley device for the LR, etc, etc... That's kinda Rockets thing. Haha
    No that cannot be... He hired a bunch of engineers and designed this new car... Its right on the DoD website so it must be true...

Is that cause engineers are never wrong with all that mythical math?

I think them changing stuff to bolt on brackets. Is user friendly. Longhorn might have come up with the idea but its just much simpler that way. Everyone knows its monkey see monkey do in this sport. Everyone has been trying to replicate what Rumley has done not just Rocket.

Capitol has had bolt on brackets for years, one thing Rumley actually copied .

Quote Originally Posted by TALON75 View Post
    Capitol has had bolt on brackets for years, one thing Rumley actually copied .
    And it is the perfect way to sell your customers a car with different suspension than what you run.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

True, a few other benefits also. It will be the new norm I think.

One would think it would be easy enough for these chassis manufacturer's to incorporate what is obviously a better design that would have minimal increase in material/ production costs, but my understanding is that these "new super high end" features are only available with the new car$.

Ive seen bolt on brackets on the modifieds since at least 1990-93 era.

Bolt-on vs. Weld-on anything is just a matter of making the chassis a bit more modular.
    With that being said, I really like the Longhorn J-bar mounting brackets. A hard hit to the wall in most cars results in bending the 2x2 and a significant amount of fab to get it redone right. It appears that this design would simply require replacing the plates.