Default Hem in a door skin wheel opening

Trying to figure out how to roll a hem in a door skin wheel opening. Moved the bead roller all around and can't figure out how to hold the door and get this through the die without having the door way up in the air. Anybody have a good way to do it?
    Last edited by catgo22; 12-09-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Hammer an a dolly is how every one is done here at Warrior Race Cars

Snap on duck billed pliers and a small hammer

I can't see the picture but I use vice grips to start the bend, softly not to mar, then hammer and dolly it to 90 then hammer on over with a wood block to smash it. If you doing the 180 1/4" heim. If I am doing a 90 degree 1' glance then I built a tool similar to the allstar performance wood block deal and use it.

I bought a piece of key stock ( 1/2" square) about 12inches long. Cut into the center of one end 1/4"-3/8" deep, then beveled one side till it was rounded. Works great but you still end up hammering it nice and flat. I hope my description made enough sense haha, before that I use a crescent wrench and hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rMiDuTab4 Youtube video from Mittler Brothers on making the hem with your bead roller.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

^^what he said. But I use an Irvan smith bead roller.

I use a piece of oak dowel about 6" long and cut a slot in the end with the grain. Working a little a time until it can be hammered over or in my case I leave it at 90'. Takes me 15 minutes per opening. I use the same tool on roof posts too.
    my wheels are on 3/8 hems though. I've never tried more than that.

Thanks for all the ideas. I did one doorskin wheelwell hem with the Irvin-Smith roller and hem dies, the other with a 1"x6" oak dowel. On the electric roller, I just hoisted the door up in the air and ran it through. It does a good job but it was way to hard to hold it steady and get it through without screwing it up. On the other door, used the dowel rod with a slot to start the hem and a body hammer to finish. That worked better. I didn't think it could turn out that good. Thanks again.
    Last edited by catgo22; 12-09-2015 at 02:46 PM.

I have the rolling dies for my mitler brothers power bead roller but honestly electrical linesman pliers , a body hammer and a block of ipe do a better job

for the best results angle the bead roller at 45 deg so the bottom roller is level with bench learned this from looking at rockets setup

Quote Originally Posted by dorman19 View Post
    for the best results angle the bead roller at 45 deg so the bottom roller is level with bench learned this from looking at rockets setup
    Brillilant !

Can you explain that a little better I can't put it together this morning lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    Brillilant !

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Can you explain that a little better I can't put it together this morning lol
    He's saying you'd lay the quarter panel down flat on your work bench, and tilt the bead roller up on something so it's sitting at at 45 degree angle down .. then you just rotate the panel around with the bench holding it up and flat.

Racing is a contact sport in my neck of the woods so spending too much time on body work seems ludicrous when it's not gonna be that way by lap three any way.