As a driver
    1. staying calm
    2.be consistent every lap
    3. telling what the car is doing
    As a crew
    1.Maintenance
    2.Establishing a base line setup
    3.Know when to make changes and what changes to make

Maintainence, and knowing how to maintain a car. Racecars shouldn't sqeak, and brakes shouldn't drag. Tires shouldn't be shiny. Understand how to set up a car. It is best to let an accomplished racer who has a good feel for a car drive your car and make sure it is OK. If you don't know what you are supposed to feel, how do you know if a problem is the car or driver? Don't put too much motor in the car. Too much motor makes it hard for experienced drivers to drive. Don't try and race, before you learn to drive. I see new guys go out and try to keep up with the faster cars before they learn car control. They wreck a lot, and tear other peoples stuff up. Stay out of the way and make laps until you are capable of racing with others. One more thing I can add. Spend money on what is needed. Make your car competitive, and keep good tires on it, instead of buying T shirts, websites, and numbers for the back window. Fancy painted helmets cost more than a set of tires, and don't make you faster. A 250 dollar drivers suit will stop fire the same as a 1500 dollar custom embroidered suit. I have seen guys that have t shirts and fan cards, before they ever had a racecar. Spend your money wisely, there is never enough for what you need, don't spend it on wants.
    Last edited by HEAVY DUTY; 01-13-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Default newbie

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVY DUTY View Post
    Maintainence, and knowing how to maintain a car. Racecars shouldn't sqeak, and brakes shouldn't drag. Tires shouldn't be shiny. Understand how to set up a car. It is best to let an accomplished racer who has a good feel for a car drive your car and make sure it is OK. If you don't know what you are supposed to feel, how do you know if a problem is the car or driver? Don't put too much motor in the car. Too much motor makes it hard for experienced drivers to drive. Don't try and race, before you learn to drive. I see new guys go out and try to keep up with the faster cars before they learn car control. They wreck a lot, and tear other peoples stuff up. Stay out of the way and make laps until you are capable of racing with others. One more thing I can add. Spend money on what is needed. Make your car competitive, and keep good tires on it, instead of buying T shirts, websites, and numbers for the back window. Fancy painted helmets cost more than a set of tires, and don't make you faster. A 250 dollar drivers suit will stop fire the same as a 1500 dollar custom embroidered suit. I have seen guys that have t shirts and fan cards, before they ever had a racecar. Spend your money wisely, there is never enough for what you need, don't spend it on wants.
    excellent post!!
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Excellent post Heavy Duty!

I like to watch drivers come up through the ranks. The very best drivers were NEVER hard on equipment from the first day they started racing. They never try to put the car where it should never go. I'm not saying rubbin isn't racing but the best *Bloomquist/Owens/ONeal/Gilpin/Hawkins/Strickler/etc etc never tore up race cars trying to figure out how to get them to go around the circle.

I very rarely see anyone with a pile of junk in victory lane either. Racing well takes a ton of effort, time, and money and there will never be a replacement for talent.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Default More questions

ok ....ive been listening to my buddy say he can make the car turn with the throttle ..... He keeps saying he needs motor incase the car is too tight .... It just doesnt sound right to me .... Is he right ?

Default motor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    ok ....ive been listening to my buddy say he can make the car turn with the throttle ..... He keeps saying he needs motor incase the car is too tight .... It just doesnt sound right to me .... Is he right ?
    you can do that but it will likely be slower than a car that was set up correctly.
    In the heavy track conditions you will be ok, but in slick conditions you will suffer.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

JustAddDirt is 100% right. If you're using the gas to turn the car in slick conditions at mid-corner, you have killed any chance of having forward bite coming off the corners. As soon as you light the tires up, you're out to lunch.

My biggest improvement was two things, getting good parts on the car that last a race or two and not cobbled up stuff I thought would work and the second was to stop listening to every Tom, (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) and Harry with a race car. Interestingly, I don't even know a Tom (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) or Harry but anyway, I found one guy...who understood me and my program and holy cow it made me faster lol. I still don't listen to everything he says and I do what my car want's but I can trust by his win record that the advice works for him.

Thanks for all the insight .... We only ran 3/4 of the season last year with little track time .... He did run good at a couple tracks .... At the end of the year he found a bent rf shock ... We think that was alot of it ..... This year we start off with a new chassis ( spring behind ) & the help of the chassis builder .... We hope to have a big learning curve this season ....

One thing that will help is getting in a good race with the best guys. With help from HEAVY DUTY and others I was getting better. Making the car right. One night I made the feature with some of the best. I didnt try to race them. I had no chance. But with so many good drivers in one race there was very little cautions. Lots of fast hard racing. I learned more in that single race than in the whole first season.

How important is it to groove on your tires ?

I divide the car in to 3 categories,Motor ,Chassis ,Tires.You will spend equally amounts of time on each one.Tire prep is a little bit of a black art.The combination of grinding ,siping and grooving is going to change with compounds and track conditions.When I say prep I'm not talking about soaking.

Is this a good video about tires .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUEfC1jTKiY

Default Question

ok ...so the question is .... My buddy has a 2013 diamond clamp car .... He ran into a local racer who said he can easily change it from clamp to spring behind .... He said 300 -400 to change it over to a spring behind ... I believe he called it adding a bird cage ? Does this sound right ...

That video is one way to do it.With those tires I would just cut the factory cross grooves a little deeper, then add swallow sipes.I always want to keep the newest tires on the car so I cut them to help some in the tack without hurting in the slick.I would run the car as is and establish a good base line first, before I changed alot of mounts

Default question

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Why would you want a clamped base line if your going to change it to a completely different suspension?
    I dont understand your comment ? I thought it was one or the other ...

My buddy cant make up his mind on what scales to buy ? Old school beam scales or digital .... Seems like the old beam scales would be the simple way to go ....Any thoughts on the scales ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    My buddy cant make up his mind on what scales to buy ? Old school beam scales or digital .... Seems like the old beam scales would be the simple way to go ....Any thoughts on the scales ?
    If you are talking about the old grain scales they are fine. If you have a lot of extra space, back in 03 a regional late model champ was still using them. Digitals are great for a guy who's racing out of a small shop or garage because they don't take up much space. Either will work fine as long as they are taken care of. Don't pull the cords out by the wire on electrics and don't push/pull on the upper portion of the grain scales.

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    If you are talking about the old grain scales they are fine. If you have a lot of extra space, back in 03 a regional late model champ was still using them. Digitals are great for a guy who's racing out of a small shop or garage because they don't take up much space. Either will work fine as long as they are taken care of. Don't pull the cords out by the wire on electrics and don't push/pull on the upper portion of the grain scales.
    ..... Yea I was talking about the grain scales .... I was thinking the older scales would read the same every time .... I guess im just old school ....LOL

What tire pressure numbers should we be using .... We have a book but my buddy seems to think lower is better .... He was asking one of the local fast guys and he was told way lower than he was running ...
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream