Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Is/Was the Best Dirt Late Model Racing Series In Your Area?

I've been seeing some Havatampa posts that brought a question to mind and curious as to what everyone's favorite series is/was?
    Through the years I've seen the Stars, Havatampa, Northern Allstars, BoB, Lucas,Woo and probably others that I just can't remember.
    My pick goes to Lucas.

Mine would be Havatampa.

I liked the original Northern All-Stars. I think the concept got lost (decent paying shows for the "little guy") when the O'Neal's and Pierce's of the time had a way of taking all the money, but even a chump like me was able to tag along and experience 30+ new tracks within a 2-8 hour drive of home. I could never do that on Lucas or WoO.

Hav-A-Tampa and UMP Summer Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by 25 Jay 53 View Post
    Hav-A-Tampa and UMP Summer Nationals
    Ump summer natlonals

Default In The Was Dept:

MACS

It was the right time in the right area and it had a decent run. I think many were sad to see it fold. Unless the Racing Gods wave a magic wand over our area, I doubt we'll see the likes of MACS or anything remotely comparable to it for quite some time.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Well today lucas and woo is the havatampa of today. Today my area well I give it to MSCCS over SUPR this days. But early 90's- 98 was SUPR, then ricks furniture super late model races. But hands down 90-2000 havatampa was the best for me. I remember my first memory of going see a havatampa race as a kid. I was 8 my dad told me was going to battleground Speedway in Houston , after race we went to my aunts to sleep there. Next morning my dad woke me up early told me we was going back home to baton rouge. I went back to sleep in the truck and woke seen we was at track, I was jumping up and down we was boothill speedway. I been to every havatampa race that was in Louisiana and Mississippi. I need go to my dads find are racing sharp books and photo's. Sorry lucas or WoO can't beat my childhood memories of havatampa.

STARS was the best around here, IMO. They always had about 10 or more races that were in my area every year.

I always liked the MAC and the original northern all stars series' as well.

Back in the 70's we had three NE Wisconsin tracks running late models Friday, Saturday and Sunday. All within 30 miles of each other. Full grandstands and full pits. Can't get much better than that.

My apology for not including the NDRA. It was our founding father and put the word 'special' into special races. Little did we know we'd ever lose our tough guy drivers and a virtual who's who that were willing to travel with no complaints. NDRA was truly our 'Build it and they will come' moment. It was nothing like the imperialistic sport we know today.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Busch All Star Tour in Iowa and surrounding states was awesome in the 90s.

STARS get my vote. I could easily see over 20 races a year within a 3 hr. drive.

Definitely STARS in my area back in the day with Smith, Moore, Moran, Shaver, Hartman. Could name top drivers for days from that point in time

MACS was good in the area for a few years. HAT never really came anywhere close by so id only see HAT drivers at Pennsboro once a year. Which im pretty sure was a STARS race at the time.

I remember the hav-a-tampa and stars being real treats to see in this area of southern Indiana because we only got to read about most of these guys. I think the best regional series was probably the BOB series. Now they are coming back and we will have 2 or 3 close to home at Brownstown. Shaping up to be a great racing season.
    Scott Kleindorfer

Quote Originally Posted by jlacey View Post
    MACS was good in the area for a few years. HAT never really came anywhere close by so id only see HAT drivers at Pennsboro once a year. Which im pretty sure was a STARS race at the time.
    The Pennsboro races were STARS. Hav-a-Tampa did run at Pittsburgh a couple times like 20 years ago and was referred to as the Penn National 100. I remember Skip Arp dominating there during an afternoon race. Even the STARS-Pittsburgher race was a day race back then. Calcium chloride track prep was still the norm at some tracks at that time.

from an overall view, I would choose hav-a-tampa from the past, today , I like the southern all star series , at least there trying to have some form of all around fair rules, if there is such a thing...........

MACS until they changed their format and started catering to the clock racers.
    Actually IMO the best series was no series back in the day. Some of you old timers may remember when Motrodrome 70 had their mid-week Summer Sizzlers and Lernerville had their Triple Invitationals that would draw in most of the countries big late model drivers because the promoters actually promoted their races and weren't afraid to put up the money to draw them in.

I loved the STARS series. Great regional series with a lot of great drivers.

SUPR was the best in our area. 15-20 years ago they really had it going on. They regularly pulled 40 to 50 late models for their shows. My wife and I and my Dad drove all over Arkansas,Louisiana,and Texas watching SUPR with occasional trips to Oklahoma,Tennesse,Mississippi and even up to Eldora for other series races and special events.

SUPR was still the first series we followed though.
    Formerly 66#1