Default Show Me 100 Camping or Hotel?

Never been to Lucas Oil Speedway before. A group of 6 of us from Minnesota are looking at going. Are there any hotels or resorts near the track that you would suggest staying at (or staying away from)? Ultimately we'd like a cabin or resort that all 6 of us could stay in.

What is the camping like at the track? Any with power, water and dump hookups?

Thanks in advance for any info

Anything around pomme de terre lake is close. Camping at the track is usually reserved years in advance for the powered sites.

I would think 88 is right, hook-ups are most likely reserved. There is a nice rest room/ shower house in the camping area near the pit gate. Last year after Granite city rained out, I set out for Lake of the Ozarks and stayed there overnight and then 60 miles to Wheatland. (Highly recommend Ozarks) I was really impressed with Wheatland, as both races were great. Temps were very warm, but I am going back this year. Good Luck.

Tireguy17,

If you would be interested in camping at the track, and are hoping for a hookup spot, email LaRay Hankins. Her email address can be found on the track website. As others have mentioned, the hookup sites are almost certainly already filled, but, LaRay will put your name on the waiting list, in case of any cancellations, which of course there will be. This early in the game, your name would probably be fairly high on the waiting list.

There are 42 spots with electric and water hookups, and 5 more with electric only. Unfortunately, none of the sites have sewer hookups (there was an "outside vendor" pumping service that was present on the grounds last year). All of the hookup sites are gravel surface. As far as dry camping, there is more room available than could possibly be filled. Plenty of "open field", as well as a ton of wooded acres. Last year, there were hundreds of campers all over, with plenty of room for many more.

I can't offer much insight on motels or cabins in the area, as I am not familiar with the surrounding area at all. There is one small motel in Wheatland, just a local operation. It looked decent. Wheatland is tiny, as are the towns right near Wheatland. We did find a decent cafe a few miles to the east in Hermitage, and another decent cafe west in Weaubleu. Wheatland has a Casey's thankfully. Quite a line in that store on race days of the "big" events, but they have good service and can make pizzas and sandwiches quick. I did find out that their gas pumps are not operational outside of business hours. Just a heads up for anyone "running low on fuel" and planning to swing in there late after the races.

If you end up going, chances are very high that you and your group will love Lucas Oil Speedway. Awesome facility. Full bar in the building behind the grandstands. Good food, and very quick service. Clean bathrooms, and enough of them to prevent long lines. Tons of good viewing and seating areas. Paved sidewalks all around the track, as far as getting from frontstretch stands back to the backstretch stands and pits (the hookup camping sites sit directly behind the pits).
    Last edited by dirt33; 01-01-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Bolivar is approx 35 minutes south, Super 8 and a newer Comfort Inn there are ok. More restaurants, fast food places, pharmacies, Walmart, grocery stores, etc to choose from than in smaller communities closer to the track. If you like a lake setting then east towards Pomme de Terre Lake and the Hermitage is worth a look, only one have personal experience with is Clearlight Inn at Pittsburgh, MO on the east side of Pomme de Terre dam, nice place.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm from Mn also and we stayed south the first year but that's out of our way Sunday morning. We stayed in Clinton the last 4 years about 50 miles north and you go through Clinton on your way if your going through KC.

There are at least 3 state parks for camping that have electric and water with dump stations within 10-15 minutes of track at lake Pom del terre to the south of Hermitage and Wheatland on hwy 83. We stay at Wheatland Park Camp Ground just south of the track. If you are looking for a motel, they are pretty much reserved within a 30 mile radius. Closest motels are in Bolivar (rooms go quick at super 8 and days inn), Clinton and Camdenton are about 50 miles away.