Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

In the 70s and early 80s we went to the old track in Richlands, VA every weekend. Then people got on their Facebook, Twitter, etc and bashed the place over and over again. Finally in 1984 the place shut down. Social media killed that track too. (this was sarcasm in case you didn't smell it)

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.ransomvillespeedway.com/media.htm

lol dont talk bad about our track or we wont let you back!

Destined for failure...........
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

My new business for race track promoters.http://southpark.cc.com/clips/tdrx69...&sort=playlist FYI: They hang Reality at the end
    Last edited by KAOS; 01-02-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Thumbs up If you run it right, they will come.

IMHO, the cream rises and if you don't put on a good show and provide a venue that people want to attend, you won't survive. I'm no promoter and I've never run a track, but like it or not social media is here to stay, for better or worse. I understand things happen beyond your control, like weather and fires and other unforeseen events, but... If every week a track keeps serving up sub-par shows, with bad food, racing so dusty you cant see half the track and restrooms you need a hazmat suit to even consider, then maybe some need to close. I'm not talking about PIR, I've never been there, I'm speaking from experience in my area and about tracks in general. I hate to see any track close, but I hate it more when I take someone to a race that has never been to one and the experience is so bad I'm embarrassed and have to apologize all the way home and offer to pay them back myself. In this age, where there are more options than ever before for where the entertainment dollar gets spent, we cant afford to have tracks run so poorly so often. I still don't believe social media is closing any tracks, people make up there own minds from experience. One of the most successful dirt track venues I grew up going to was also the strictest on rules, behavior and curfew. Going back to the 1980's, Dixie Speedway came up with a rule that no one was allowed on the track for any reason except to save a driver. If you stepped foot on the track surface for any other reason you were ejected. They also had a strict curfew because of neighborhoods being so close, so they enforced the black flag if you caused more than 2 cautions. Each division had strict time limits and when time ran out the checkered flag fell, whether they had run 29 laps or 2. This track has also thrived thru numerous recessions and suburban sprawl, but they put on good shows and do what they say they are gonna do.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

"Social Media" gives people and businesses alike the chance to be attention wh0ring teenage girls. The hot ones love it. The ugly ones end up butthurt.

The fact that some tracks think social media killed their business is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQfGOjmxOPM

No smoke, no fire.

I can put with a lot, for a good race. I will not condone a bad train race, passed off as a good race. That's where I draw a line. If a track sells me a sow's ear for a silk purse more than once, I have to say something. I realize that weather can play a part in this at times, but the weather doesn't do it over and over again. I will black list that track and tell 5,000 of my most intimate friends about it. They can save their money and see a good race, somewhere else. If the track goes under, they deserved to.
    Last edited by Bubstr; 01-03-2016 at 10:47 AM.

I would think most local track owners run a track for the love of racing ..... Not to get rich ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    I would think most local track owners run a track for the love of racing ..... Not to get rich ....
    That may be so but what ever happened to taking pride in what you do.
    It doesn't take a lot a money to mow the grass and cut the weeds, keep things painted, replace bad boards in the stands, fix the speakers, clean and update the restrooms, etc...
    First impression goes a long ways in bringing in new people to your track and getting them back.
    Gone are the days when owners and promoters go to response to complaints was "if you don't like the way things are here go somewhere else" because drivers and fans are doing just that at an alarming rate to things other than racing....

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeX3 View Post
    "Social Media" gives people and businesses alike the chance to be attention wh0ring teenage girls. The hot ones love it. The ugly ones end up butthurt.

The fact that some tracks think social media killed their business is a joke.
    Sounds like your saying that the failing tracks are " the ugly ones".

IMO , if a track uses social media as their primary promotional vehicle then they open themselves up to un latching Pandora's box for praise and critisism.

They can't have it both ways........and like another poster said, the cream rises to the top anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQfGOjmxOPM

No smoke, no fire.

I can put with a lot, for a good race. I will not condone a bad train race, passed off as a good race. That's where I draw a line. If a track sells me a sow's ear for a silk purse more than once, I have to say something. I realize that weather can play a part in this at times, but the weather doesn't do it over and over again. I will black list that track and tell 5,000 of my most intimate friends about it. They can save their money and see a good race, somewhere else. If the track goes under, they deserved to.
    I know we don't always agree, but on this post we are on the very same page........

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    That may be so but what ever happened to taking pride in what you do.
    It doesn't take a lot a money to mow the grass and cut the weeds, keep things painted, replace bad boards in the stands, fix the speakers, clean and update the restrooms, etc...
    First impression goes a long ways in bringing in new people to your track and getting them back.
    Gone are the days when owners and promoters go to response to complaints was "if you don't like the way things are here go somewhere else" because drivers and fans are doing just that at an alarming rate to things other than racing....
    You guys are all over it........another excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Thats a Lie FarmerCity They have Made Tons of Improvements over the last 3 years.. I live 28 miles from there.. First Score boards arnt Cheap..They Have add FM too the sound and lots of new speakers and amps..I have never heard more Praise for track conditions then last year ..They done a lot of work on the Bath rooms and add lots of Port pottys...I only heard of one race they run out of food and they Came out and said they F..K up...And how would you know you said you dont go no more ...
    That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. That's the thing that can ruin a tracks reputation. Yeah for those tracks that do things right social media can be a good thing but for those tracks that are trying to turn things around social media can hurt the track. I'm not trying to say that social media is fully to blame if a track closes down but, it can hurt a track that's for sure.

But, I'm with most on here as long as you treat people like they wanted to be treated and provide a good experience when they visit your facility they will be back and more than likely give good feedback whether that be social media or around the water cooler at work.

As far as Paducah and 2016 goes, the Mason family are gonna do whatever it takes to entertain the audience with great racing. Maybe in 2017 Bob will bring back the Lucas, and Summer Nationals! #stayingpositive

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Thats a Lie FarmerCity They have Made Tons of Improvements over the last 3 years.. I live 28 miles from there.. First Score boards arnt Cheap..They Have add FM too the sound and lots of new speakers and amps..I have never heard more Praise for track conditions then last year ..They done a lot of work on the Bath rooms and add lots of Port pottys...I only heard of one race they run out of food and they Came out and said they F..K up...And how would you know you said you dont go no more ...

First off, I said I very seldom go to FC, I did not say I didn't go anymore. In 2015 that would be 3 races. Secondly, porta pots are not fixing the bathrooms. For those of us who have spouses that HATE racing, you have to provide better faculties then what women can find at a construction site.
    For the 3 races I went to last year at FC, I received 3 terrible racing surfaces, 2 races with NO working speakers in the middle of 1-2 and no food after the heat races at 1 race.

Don't care what the cost of a scoreboard is, I have been to go kart tracks that have them. They never kept the one they had working, so I don't know why I am surprised they don't have one now.

I grew up here, have been going to FALS and FC since 1975 and have watched FC fall from the best racing in IL, to the dump it is now.

FYI, as a truck driver, I have been to 74 tracks across America. That would include tracks from Nascar down to Go Kart tracks. While FC is no where near the bottom of the barrel, the fact remains that you have a fairboard that doesn't care about the facility, your 20 miles from a current/future Crown Jewel facility, and you think Porta potties is a bathroom fix.
    Last edited by turnleftandgasit; 01-04-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtMAN007 View Post
    If the truth is being broadcast over social media (wether it be pos or neg ) track owners should learn from it and adress any issues immediately and let it be known the next week what was done and show that they are willing work and resolve issues !!!!! It can be a win win for an honest and willing track owner !!!!!!!!!!
    In a perfect world, yes.
    I am not the type to bash promoters personally online, but I can understand why people do. I have not had a promoter address an issue brought to them personally, but have witnessed them quick to act when something negative is posted online. So IMO it is self inflicted. Listen to folks in person and you'd have less online bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by racer67x View Post
    Talk about being butt hurt.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Almost all really good posts, more than I can name. It's not social media's fault someone's track sucks. If someone is blowing off at the mouth and it's untrue, it will get outed. YouTube, etc, can prove them wrong. Just as it can surely prove them right.

Though I never see the economy reaching the false high it was, yeah it could still be partly to blame. But where I'm at, things are good, so I don't see that arguement here. What is to blame is promotors worried about people's outburst online. Do your dam job, and them people talkin sh!t will look like dumba$$es.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    First off, I said I very seldom go to FC, I did not say I didn't go anymore. In 2015 that would be 3 races. Secondly, porta pots are not fixing the bathrooms. For those of us who have spouses that HATE racing, you have to provide better faculties then what women can find at a construction site.
    For the 3 races I went to last year at FC, I received 3 terrible racing surfaces, 2 races with NO working speakers in the middle of 1-2 and no food after the heat races at 1 race.

Don't care what the cost of a scoreboard is, I have been to go kart tracks that have them. They never kept the one they had working, so I don't know why I am surprised they don't have one now.

I grew up here, have been going to FALS and FC since 1975 and have watched FC fall from the best racing in IL, to the dump it is now.

FYI, as a truck driver, I have been to 74 tracks across America. That would include tracks from Nascar down to Go Kart tracks. While FC is no where near the bottom of the barrel, the fact remains that you have a fairboard that doesn't care about the facility, your 20 miles from a current/future Crown Jewel facility, and you think Porta potties is a bathroom fix.
    Well New Bathrooms must be too code. And that makes them COST a lot.. I have seen First hand the work that they have done and its a LOT..The Board has run it for 3 years now and it has taken a lot of work too start too bring it back.. The Fairboard does care NOW but it takes more then 3 years too undo 10 years for running it wrong...Not fixing things...and things removed form the Track...Most of the people I have spoken too say they think the racing and track was real good last year...Fairbury did not get too were they are in 3 years..Score boards are great but saving money for new Bathrooms and some other things come first... Lance and the people working with him (I THINK) are doing the best the can .. The new pit board, Speakers that work in pits.. lights that work in pits....They had too spend a lot of money too fix grade rails and Fence...ALL bad boards in stands replaced, Lots of Paint....Add the FM to the sound S. You live close Try going and helping and stop crying .. Be part of the fix not the Prob.....