Default Transmission rule change?

Heard a rumor around Thanksgiving that UMP MIGHT allow Bert, Brinn transmissions in the Street Stock class for 2016. This would be a smart move for safety and cost. But no one will know till mid August when the rule book comes out. LOL, anyone heard anything?

How are these safer and cheaper?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

$500-$600 for a used rebuilt Burt/Brinn. VS $500 for a rebuilt Saginaw and then add in the cost of the flywheel $300, Clutch $300-$400 a throw out bearing $125 You do the math. Then you have all those turning parts that could come apart and injure a drivers legs. It's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bbmft View Post
    $500-$600 for a used rebuilt Burt/Brinn. VS $500 for a rebuilt Saginaw and then add in the cost of the flywheel $300, Clutch $300-$400 a throw out bearing $125 You do the math. Then you have all those turning parts that could come apart and injure a drivers legs. It's a no brainer.
    Would be a smart move on UMP's part.
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

If you think the fast guys are buying used your wrong. $1600 for the trans... $425 for the bellhousing... $250+ for the starter. Then you'll hear "we need the reverse mount fuel and pwr steering pumps so we can save even more $$$"... that's another $600 plus the new lines.

Racers are their worst enemies....
    Class of 2019

[QUOTE=1bbmft;1975745]$500-$600 for a used rebuilt Burt/Brinn. VS $500 for a rebuilt Saginaw and then add in the cost of the flywheel $300, Clutch $300-$400 a throw out bearing $125 You do the math. Then you have all those turning parts that could come apart and injure a drivers legs. It's a no brainer.[/Q

LOL Raced for 25+ years never saw or bought a good used bert or brinn for $500.00 or $ 600.00 Have bought a lot of good saginaw transmissions out of the junk yard for $60.00 or $75.00 though and still have some. Be careful what you wish for

Spend on new if you want but I bought a used rebuilt Falcon for $600 and raced it 22 timed this past season and plan to run it another 25 this coming season. Then I can rebuild it (if it needs it) for around $150. I use a GM aluminum bell housing that I bought from a local speed shop for $75 and it worked just fine. And with no parts to fly around IF I blow a clutch it's safe. I agree some will spend BIG money on new parts but you wanna see my pictures in victory lane!!!!!!! LOL

Waitin' for pix...
    Class of 2019

I've been waiting for this rule change. I paid 500 for mine and have not had to touch it. Just an old jeep bellhousing. They are out there..And I've been wanting to run some SS races. They sure need something different other than a bunch of monte carlo's

Typical ! Everyone wants the rules changed to what they have in their car or laying around in their garage, never mind that you will make 100's of other guys stuff obsolete. Then everyone wonders, where's all the cars?? Maybe they should go to quickchanges also. LOL. Racers are their own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    If you think the fast guys are buying used your wrong. $1600 for the trans... $425 for the bellhousing... $250+ for the starter. Then you'll hear "we need the reverse mount fuel and pwr steering pumps so we can save even more $$$"... that's another $600 plus the new lines.

Krooser,your playing with yourself.I know of racers that have gotten rid of their outdated equipment,and went with a Brinn type setup,including the bell,and starter.

This system is much safer then the clutch type units,and power-slides which are liable to explode at any time.

Like it or not UMP is making a smart choice.And I almost forgot to mention,as one person said,(WHERE ARE ALL THE CARS!)they must have moved to the midwest,as the field is full at the race tracks that I attend,and allow the use of this type of unit.
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

So are they allowing them?

street stocks morphing into sportsman before our eyes.I'd bet the guys with the monster roller motors are the ones Lobbying for them the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurst390 View Post
    I've been waiting for this rule change. I paid 500 for mine and have not had to touch it. Just an old jeep bellhousing. They are out there..And I've been wanting to run some SS races. They sure need something different other than a bunch of monte carlo's

Excuse the hijack, BUT that's the baddest stock car I've seen in a long time. Carry on.
    Gator Engineering

Guess we'll have to wait till July for the rules to be posted to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post

I run a Falcon in our Mod. It has 4 seasons on it. Easy to replace clutches, I do once a season. Yes I have seen many used for sale from 600-800 range. You dont have to run a reverse mounted starter and bellhousing, I dont on our mod. I run a Standard bellhousing and a block mounted mini starter. Its the way to go.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Thank You
    Back to the transmission. How long before those 3 speeds and powerglides dry up? I see nothing negative about using a better, more easily obtained and cheaper transmission like a bert.
    I gave 500 bux for mine like new.
    No roller cam here,dont need one.

If you guys are wanting to run UMP, it really doesn't matter. They don't check anything, and could care less about
    the stock cars, other than collecting your membership money and selling you tires. It's the end of March and still no
    2016 rules posted on their site. What a disgrace and lack of respect for their competitors.

All three of the last posts are right on, UMP don't give a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) about any class but the SLM class the rest of us just help pay for the Summer Nationals.
    Guess I'l run my Falcon and when the promoter tells me I'm illegal I'll ask him to show me the 2016 rules (which won't be out till August).