Thread: Spindles

Default Spindles

What is the best and most accurate way to check the degree on spindles.

Thread a spindle nut on until it is just flush with the end of the snout then set the spindle (snout down) on a level surface. Then you can use the spindle checker as the edge to measure with an angle finder.
    You could do this without a spindle nut but this gives you some more stability so that you're not relying entirely on end of the snout.
    There are other ways to do it but some methods are difficult due to the taper in the spindle snout. I have found this method to work pretty well.

Coleman makes a tool for checking spindle straightness that slides thru the ball joints.IT is helpful in getting the spindle level.Cost around $35

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Thread a spindle nut on until it is just flush with the end of the snout then set the spindle (snout down) on a level surface. Then you can use the spindle checker as the edge to measure with an angle finder.
    You could do this without a spindle nut but this gives you some more stability so that you're not relying entirely on end of the snout.
    There are other ways to do it but some methods are difficult due to the taper in the spindle snout. I have found this method to work pretty well.
    I put a camber gauge on the spindle and stick the snout in a vice. Will then tap on it until it's 0.0 then stick a spindle checker in it and put an angle finder on it. Pretty much the same thing.

Default Change spindles

What would happen if I went from a 5° spindle to a 7° on my late model.what kind of changes would I see positive and negative. Thanks for any help.

Not that simple. In order to maintain the same camber you would need to change arm lengths some which will affect overall suspension geometry.
    Changing king pin inclination ONLY (which can only be done in theory) has a significant affect on dynamic weight jacking during steering input.