Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fairbury speedway announces major renovation plans for the 2016 race season

FAIRBURY SPEEDWAY ANNOUNCES MAJOR RENOVATION PLANS FOR THE 2016 RACE SEASONOnce you walk into the Fairbury Fairgrounds, it doesn’t take long to see the strong history and tradition of the facility. From the legends and stars that have raced around the tracks since 1922, to the Nashville Country Stars that filled the grandstands at the annual fair, a piece of history flies over the fairgrounds every time you enter the gates. This year the Fairbury American Legion Speedway will entertain dirt track racing for its 71st season of racing along with the 140th edition of the annual Fairbury Fair, which is one of Illinois’ longest standing fairs in the state. On behalf of the entire Fair Board, American Legion Post 54, and everyone involved with the Fairbury Speedway and Fairbury Fair, we are excited to announce major renovation plans throughout the facility beginning late winter and finishing up before the May 7th FALS Frenzy $10,000 to win Late Model Special. Renovation costs will exceed well over a quarter of a million dollars, which will include a new state-of-the-art restroom facility on the front stretch, a new constructed addition and complete remodel of the south side restroom facility, and a complete new set of aluminum stadium bleachers constructed just to the east side of the main covered grandstands. In addition to the new restrooms and bleachers, speedway and fair officials will continue upgrading minor projects throughout the facility.Construction will start soon for the new state-of-the-art restroom facility located on the North side of the speedway where the existing bathrooms where located before. This new restroom facility will house twenty-four new stalls for men and women, four new showers, and complete infant changing stations. The entire facility will have all new vanity and toilet equipment, along with full handicap accessibility. In addition to the entire new building on the front stretch, a newly built addition and remodel will also take place on the south side backstretch restrooms. Twelve additional stalls, new infant changing stations along with all new vanity and toilet equipment will complete the makeover for the speedway’s restrooms. In a way for the speedway officials to accommodate the increasing demand for seating during major special events throughout the race season, along with all new safety fall proof features, a newly all-aluminum stadium set of bleachers will be built to the East side of the front stretch grandstands. Design and installation of these bleachers will allow fans to watch from a premium seat which will start 3 foot higher than the bottom seat before and run five rows higher which will accommodate an additional 350-400 premium seats. Along with the additional seating, all the seats which used to be tough to see at the bottom of the set will become a viewable line of sight for the entire track. The new bleachers will have twelve handicap assessable spots along with two entrances and a full handicap ramp for convenience. The new bleachers will allow speedway officials to have the option for additional reserved seating for our major events. More information on all the reserved seating can be found on the web at www.fairburyspeedwaytickets.com. With anticipation and excitement to get started on the new renovations, Fairbury Speedway and Fair Officials would like to thank the Bank of Pontiac for their continuing support for allowing these capital improvements to become a reality. We are also very excited to have the continuing support as they will continue title sponsorship for the 27th Annual Prairie Dirt Classic. This year’s World of Outlaws Prairie Dirt Classic, presented by the Bank of Pontiac, will pay a record $27,000 to win on the weekend of July 29th & 30th. The crown jewel that has received national honors for “race of the year” the past three seasons will have an added excitement for the newly renovated projects.We hope all our fans, drivers, and customers see the commitment we are continuing to pursue and look forward to an incredible season. All the speedway information including the 2016 race schedule can be found on the Fairbury Speedway website at www.fairburyspeedway.com. Also, don’t forget to check out the Fairbury Fair website at www.fairburyfair.com for all the events leading up to the 140th edition on the week of August 17th – August 21st.

can't wait to see everything

It's nice to see the track investing in itself and making improvements!

"State-of-the-art" restrooms...that will be something to behold!

Brett, They will be nice I'm sure, State of The Art might be a bit of a stretch... LOL Anyway, they will be a welcome improvement for our fans. GS

Promotion promotion promotion!!!

Put closed circuit TV and a beer window in the state-of-the-art bathrooms and I'd never see the new bleachers!!

Suites in turns 1&2??

Suites would be awesome.... Could spend a million in a heartbeat..... Baby Steps ..... As long as you guys keep supporting us, the fairboard is 100% committed for the long haul.

Great news! As long as the track keeps 3 grooves of racing throughout the night the fans will come. A question while on FALS topic: Has there been winged sprint cars ever ran there? I just can't imagine those things hot lapping in the top groove.

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Great news! As long as the track keeps 3 grooves of racing throughout the night the fans will come. A question while on FALS topic: Has there been winged sprint cars ever ran there? I just can't imagine those things hot lapping in the top groove.
    I think the IRA ran there

I know the powrI midgets have been scheduled I believe the last 2 years and been rained out both nights. For me this will be a must see if they schedule them again this year.

Always good to see a track make improvements especially when it comes to bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    I think the IRA ran there
    11.6 track record for them, lates 12.2 that has to be smallest comparison I've seen. Late model track to the bone lol

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I know the powrI midgets have been scheduled I believe the last 2 years and been rained out both nights. For me this will be a must see if they schedule them again this year.

Always good to see a track make improvements especially when it comes to bathrooms.
    POWRi Midgets are on the Schedule again for Saturday, July 16th 2016.
    I've wanted to see this show the last few years as well.
    I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A 410 NON-WING SPRINT CAR SHOW THERE.
    THEY PUT ON AN INSANE SHOW A KOKOMO (IN) SPEEDWAY BUT FIRST THEY WOULD NEED TO UPGRADE THE FENCE AND HAVE IT ABOUT 10-12 FEET HIGH WITH 5 OR 6 STEEL CABLES BEHIND IT.
    THEY WOULD FLY THOUGH THE CURRENT FENCE AS THEY ARE KNOW TO GET AIRBORN REAL QUICK AND CARTWHEEL HIGH INTO THE AIR.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 01-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    THEY PUT ON AN INSANE SHOW A KOKOMO (IN) SPEEDWAY BUT FIRST THEY WOULD NEED TO UPGRADE THE FENCE AND HAVE IT ABOUT 10-12 FEET HIGH WITH 5 OR 6 STEEL CABLES BEHIND IT.
    THEY WOULD FLY THOUGH THE CURRENT FENCE AS THEY ARE KNOW TO GET AIRBORN REAL QUICK AND CARTWHEEL HIGH INTO THE AIR.
    HDF, I too would love to see a wingless 410 show at Fairbury. It'd be like old times since the wingless sprinters (supermodifieds) ran FALS on a weekly basis from the mid to late 1950's until 1971 and they put on a GREAT show nearly every week with guys like Larry "BoomBoom" Cannon, Norman "Bubby" Jones, Dean Shirley, Jerry Camfield, Bobby Carrington, Hershel Jenkins and Jerry Blundy racing every week. Larry Cannon & Bubby Jones went on to qualify for the Indy 500 multiple times. I was very young when they did away with the weekly sprint cars but that is where I learned not to have racing tunnel vision and to embrace different types of racecars.

Non-wing 410 sprint cars have raced at Fairbury relatively recently. It's been at least 10 years ago but they've raced at FALS. IIRC it was an unsanctioned show during the Fairbury Fair with the late models as a support class. Midgets have raced at FALS during the fair, too. The last time the midgets were at FALS Jack Hewitt was driving the famous dark blue #21 midget. Someone pinched him up into the wall coming off of turn 4 and he did an endo about half way down the front stretch. They red flagged the heat race and everyone in the place thought Jack was going to got to the car of the "pincher" and tune the guy up but he didn't. I've asked Jack about this incident and he remembers it well.
    Last edited by CIRF; 01-09-2016 at 09:31 AM.

I can't wait to see the new renovations Fairbury American Legion Speedway is an Awesome facility I love this place

Awesome news !!!

While Fairbury adds seats NASCAR tracks take 'em down... sez a whole lot right there.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will make sure I schedule that day off as soon as I get back to work Tuesday
    As far as the 410 sprints as long as it's non-wing sprints. To me they put on a better show but, either way that would be something too see there.
    Last edited by kidrock; 01-09-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will make sure I schedule that day off as soon as I get back to work Tuesday
    As far as the 410 sprints as long as it's non-wing sprints. To me they put on a better show but, either way that would be something too see there.
    Kid, I'm really surprised that the MOWA (Midwest Open Wheel Association) 410 winged sprint cars have not been scheduled to race at Fairbury to date. All evidence indicates that MOWA is a quality organization and their participants and cars are of high quality, highly talented and that quality runs deep among their drivers and teams.

MOWA's schedule just came out and they'll be racing at Macon, Peoria, Lincoln, Canton each once and La Salle twice. All of those tracks are primarily dirt late model venues as is FALS. They pack La Salle for the Bill Waite Jr. Memorial the week before Labor Day Weekend.

I too am not a huge winged fan but I have to believe MOWA sprints would be a good fit for both FALS and MOWA. I know I'd be there to watch them!
    Last edited by CIRF; 01-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    While Fairbury adds seats NASCAR tracks take 'em down... sez a whole lot right there.
    Got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Kid, I'm really surprised that the MOWA (Midwest Open Wheel Association) 410 winged sprint cars have not been scheduled to race at Fairbury to date. All evidence indicates that MOWA is a quality organization and their participants and cars are of high quality, highly talented and that quality runs deep among their drivers and teams.

MOWA's schedule just came out and they'll be racing at Macon, Peoria, Lincoln, Canton each once and La Salle twice. All of those tracks are primarily dirt late model venues as is FALS. They pack La Salle for the Bill Waite Jr. Memorial the week before Labor Day Weekend.

I too am not a huge winged fan but I have to believe MOWA sprints would be a good fit for both FALS and MOWA. I know I'd be there to watch them!
    Had to Stop and make my Brain work ... Long time a go that the sprints ran there .. Use too love the Sprints as much as the Lates.. Use to go too the Champaign fair grounds too see the WoO sprints at the 1/2 mile they use too run 18 or more times a year in ILL. Now they run like 2 times a year... and the Sprints at Fairbury.. Sprints where the Big Dog back then Lates were just coming in. They were just Hoped up cars (Lates) with jackers big tires and a big eng....Sprints were the all out Race cars....Now the WoO Sprints run in a row on a dry slick track...There is one thing good too being OLD its too stop and think how it was way back when....
    ... FarmerCity ran the no wing Sprints lasts year No Wing much better Racing .. Would Love too see MOWA at both FarmerCity and Fairbury......
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 01-09-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Default Good and Bad

As a long time fan and racer at Fals I am glad to see all the updates being done to the facility. But I do find it a little upsetting that anytime the idea of raising payouts for regular nights of racing the answer is they can't afford to do it. Don't get me wrong Fals is not the only track that needs to up regular night pay if they don't there will never be the opportunity for local racers to be able to stay in the sport and have a chance to move up and travel and run at a regional or national level. But I guess we have to understand as racers that it is just like everything in this day and age it's all focused on big business which is why In my opinion they are doing what they are doing making it a facility that is more appealing for ' big business'. I guess in closing I will just say tracks need to remember that the local racers are the ones who put fans in the stands for years and made tracks be able to get to the level they are at.