Thread: Powerglide oil

Default Powerglide oil

Direct drive powerglide. What is everyone using for trans fluid. Obviously with direct drive the input shaft is turning the entire time the motor is running so the direct clutches are going to see more wear. Just wondering if there is any better oil for it other than atf. I know the oil and the clutches have to be changed fairly often but if a better oil will help with the wear I would like to try that. Cheaper than atf would be a plus also. Thanks in advance.

I've used atf. type f
    Last edited by Hurst390; 01-13-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Auto trans use ATF not OIL.

I never changed atf in my power glides, I just kept it full. 50-80 nights on them before I sold them since I switched classes.
    I will have to say you didn't run 50 to 80 nights on a direct drive without changing oil or clutches.

Ok you win.

No its your smart*** answers like always. I never changed the oil since I run atf not oil. That's all you are ever good for.

At one time people were trying hydraulic oil and something like john deere hydrostatic oil in trans.I don't know how it worked out.I have used valvoline synthetic atf with good results in other applications.What I have been told about cheaper oils (house brands) is they start with a lower quality base stock and put additives in to bring it up to a better level.These additives give up or wear out faster.A quality oil or atf like vavoline,castrol, mobil start with a higher quality base stock and will work better over a longer period.
    Last edited by save the racers; 01-14-2016 at 07:06 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Bushore glide. I used full syn ATF and would run it all season long and never change it. Maybe once or twice a year I would adjust the low/reverse band and thats it. Sometimes it didnt even get changed in the off season. The fluid never gets dirty and with no torque converter they run VERY cool. Eric