Default birdcage bearing installation

what is the best way to remove old bearings from a birdcage and install new bearings?

I don't think that addresses the issue the OP is trying to solve.

The one's I've messed with were just a snug fit in the birdcage. Clean em up, put a little penetrating oil on em (I like Kroil) and give it some gentle taps with a hammer (on the bearing). If they've been in there a while they are probably corroded a bit and stuck to the birdcage.

FWIW, when putting them together a light smearing of antiseize will help keep this from happening next time you remove them.
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

I've removed them by tapping them out with a punch and a hammer. You run the risk of damaging the bearing but that is likely the reason you're replacing it in the first place.
    Putting them in, let the bearing sit in the freezer for a few hours. Then set the birdcage in front of the old torpedo heater for about 10 minutes. The bearing will drop in so easy you'll wonder if it was the right size.
    This method also works great for putting axle tubes in the bells. If your tube won't fit in the freezer, just stick it down in a cooler full of ice.

I have a question. I have bsb birdcage's and I pulled the bearings out last night, I don't believe they were installed correctly. Mine have a lip on one side of the bearing. Does that lip face in or out towards the axle tube clamps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Lip faces out to space collar from rubbing on cage.

What jmr99 said. And some birdcage manufacturers make their collars so that it has a recess to grab the flange on the bearing as you tighten to the axle tube. I personally think this is a preferable design. You don't want the bearing to fail and then start sliding the innermost casing on the axle tube. Epic failure will occur if that isn't diagnosed quickly. If the bearing fails, you would actually prefer lack of movement versus lathing your axle tube :-)
    Last edited by Matt49; 01-28-2017 at 08:39 PM.