Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ride rate check is useful anytime you want to change a spring and maintain ride height

spring rate x (free length - installed length) = ride rate

Using this if you want to go from a 250# to a 275# it will tell you how much you need to shim or jack to maintain RH

In upper Midwest (Wissota & northern tier of IMCA) there are guys fast on all different setups. Just need to not be afraid to try. There is no right or wrong answer.

At this point I only have an opinion, so I did not offer information. However, from what I have read, raising and lowering the spring table at the frame, does have an effect on the way weight is transferred to the spring and to the tire contact patch. I hear of claims that one is better than the other, but no reason as to why.... What are the physics involved when the spring table is raised or lowered? Think about it.... How does it create more grip at the tire contact patch?

5 days of being on this forum and I stir this up! (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) I'm good!! Lol Thank everyone for your help! PM me if you have anything to add! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    yea I remember you ,things are different now, how ever your accomplishments are a drop in the bucket as to what ive done myself and thru others over 30 plus years of racing. but im going to give you the win by default because I will not expose my personal info on an open internet forum. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this site, and yes ive learned things from you, im not ashamed to admit it, the problem I have with you is every time some one post something on here , you try to come back and belittle them with all your knowledge, don't ask me to elaborate, just look back thru your post here and in the power train section. any way , im done with this thread as it has gotten away from the OP question. you have a good day jeff joldersma.
    I second everything he says about your sarcastic comments and try to make everyone seem stupid compared to you. I am really glad others see you the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle1hp View Post
    Yes ladies and gentlemen! He has won again! He is the undisputed champion of the "Bench Racing 100"! LOL Lighten up dude.... people are on here trying to learn and share experience.... just sayin....
    I agree after awhile you just ignore everything stocky has to say. The sad part is that he probably does have some useful information for some people and could help but his sarcastic smart mouth just makes you just not even want to read anything or even care about any of his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    That only comes into play if a spring is becoming unloaded like a 4 link car.
    here is where a taller weaker spring comes in to play with out leaving the spring seat, lets say you have a 200# spring compressed 2 inches at ride height , that's 400# of spring pressure , now if you use a taller 100# spring , it will be compressed 4inches at the same ride height and 400 # of spring pressure. lets say your car hikes 1 1/2 inches, the 200 # spring will have 100# of spring pressure and the 100# spring will have 250# of spring pressure. so can you explain to me how it doesn't come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    here is where a taller weaker spring comes in to play with out leaving the spring seat, lets say you have a 200# spring compressed 2 inches at ride height , that's 400# of spring pressure , now if you use a taller 100# spring , it will be compressed 4inches at the same ride height and 400 # of spring pressure. lets say your car hikes 1 1/2 inches, the 200 # spring will have 100# of spring pressure and the 100# spring will have 250# of spring pressure. so can you explain to me how it doesn't come into play?
    I agree with fastford on this point. The car sitting on scales shows "static" wedge, this changes as the car moves and suspension travels. Running the softer spring rates changes the "dynamic" wedge during weight transfer and suspension travels. I would only change to a taller spring, if I were changing to a softer spring and I was concerned about coil binding during suspension travel. But this is only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by r3tracing View Post
    I agree after awhile you just ignore everything stocky has to say. The sad part is that he probably does have some useful information for some people and could help but his sarcastic smart mouth just makes you just not even want to read anything or even care about any of his posts.
    Its a pretty simple fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tried the 20 inch soft left rear spring in an IMCA stock car. Good when tacky. Absolutely no forward drive when slick..