Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    I kinda disagree that the Chili Bowl is much of a much... any more then any other big race...I agree that in the midget world its a big deal.. but after that...not so much... How many times did Steve Kinser win the Bowl?
    On what grounds is your disagreement based on? Only a big deal in the midget world? Hmmm. Then what draws the NASCAR guys, and a couple of Indy Car folks and a some dirt late model and East Coast Modified guys. 344 cars and a total attendance for the 5 nights that is something North of 60,000 people and that doesn't include all the people that can't get tickets and buy pit passes just so they can be in the building and watch it on the pit area jumbo-tron. The Saturday night finale' fetches some of the best ratings of the year on MAVtv. Not a big deal outside of the midget community? Think again.

Steve Kinser was runner up once and ran 3rd twice in 5 total starts. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I suspect that Kinser at some point got too big to get fitted into a midget, but I don't know that for a fact. Sammy Swindell, on the other hand, has qualified for the Saturday A-main 23 of the 30 years and has won it 5 times and finished 2nd 4 times. Doug Wolfgang made the Saturday A-main twice, as well.

How does that compare with other Crown Jewell dirt races? I'm thinkin' maybe the Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals is the only other race that is in the same league. The difference between the Knoxville Nationals and The Chili Bowl is CB pays a fraction in comparison. The overall prestige and national exposure is the allure and it's second to none and it can be a career maker.

ITS INDOORS AND THEY TO WANT TO RACE Matv you an't even get on many providers tvs and most if not all programing is taped on mavtv and that weekend how much racing is on tv oh wait none and again many drivers don't care about prestige I guess drivers like kinser moyer bloomquist Donny schatz joey saldana etc is squat or doesn't mean that much again its a great indoor event in the middle of winter nothing more nothing less try that event oh say july 4 th and see what happens its not 60000 people its 10000 people 5 nights of racing and your buddy Larson junked the car at Daytona better stick with cup cars
    Last edited by old fan; 01-31-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    On what grounds is your disagreement based on? Only a big deal in the midget world? Hmmm. Then what draws the NASCAR guys, and a couple of Indy Car folks and a some dirt late model and East Coast Modified guys. 344 cars and a total attendance for the 5 nights that is something North of 60,000 people and that doesn't include all the people that can't get tickets and buy pit passes just so they can be in the building and watch it on the pit area jumbo-tron. The Saturday night finale' fetches some of the best ratings of the year on MAVtv. Not a big deal outside of the midget community? Think again.

Steve Kinser was runner up once and ran 3rd twice in 5 total starts. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I suspect that Kinser at some point got too big to get fitted into a midget, but I don't know that for a fact. Sammy Swindell, on the other hand, has qualified for the Saturday A-main 23 of the 30 years and has won it 5 times and finished 2nd 4 times. Doug Wolfgang made the Saturday A-main twice, as well.

How does that compare with other Crown Jewell dirt races? I'm thinkin' maybe the Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals is the only other race that is in the same league. The difference between the Knoxville Nationals and The Chili Bowl is CB pays a fraction in comparison. The overall prestige and national exposure is the allure and it's second to none and it can be a career maker.
    Point is, Kinser never won it and did fine for him self, as did hundreds of other racers.... When its broken all down, if a guy is good enough to make it, and has the tenacity necessary to stick it out... one race isn't going to make or break anyone...You want impressive, Think Johnathon Davenport...now that's impressive....

Now don't get me wrong, I bet it is quite a spectacle.... but I can think of ten other shows I'd go to before there if I had my druthers... our car owner has gone a couple of times and said it was pretty cool but wasn't interesting enough to go anymore...
    Last edited by mudslinger47; 01-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Larson and Rico would 've made to NASCAR with out the chili bowl just like Bobby Pierce, and yes superman now that impressive

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    ITS INDOORS AND THEY TO WANT TO RACE Matv you an't even get on many providers tvs and most if not all programing is taped on mavtv and that weekend how much racing is on tv oh wait none and again many drivers don't care about prestige I guess drivers like kinser moyer bloomquist Donny schatz joey saldana etc is squat or doesn't mean that much again its a great indoor event in the middle of winter nothing more nothing less try that event oh say july 4 th and see what happens its not 60000 people its 10000 people 5 nights of racing and your buddy Larson junked the car at Daytona better stick with cup cars
    Kinser ran pretty good at CB. Snortquist tried it ONE time and went away with bruised ego and his tail between his legs. Moyer never gave it a try but then again Moyer has never strayed very far from the comfort zone of his dirt late model. Joey Saldana runs pretty good at the indoor events, I think he won at Du Quoin in Dec. of 2014 and he's run good at CB the past couple of years.

The race promoters sell well over 60,000 tickets to the event as a whole, and could sell many more if they had the room. And, I've heard the BS about it being in the winter over and over from those who would attempt to diminish CB for whatever reason. That's about all that is.

Larson didn't junk the car, the brakes, or lack thereof, did. Larson has already got his Rolex watch, I doubt anyone but you questions his driving ability.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Point is, Kinser never won it and did fine for him self, as did hundreds of other racers.... When its broken all down, if a guy is good enough to make it, and has the tenacity necessary to stick it out... one race isn't going to make or break anyone...You want impressive, Think Johnathon Davenport...now that's impressive....

Now don't get me wrong, I bet it is quite a spectacle.... but I can think of ten other shows I'd go to before there if I had my druthers... our car owner has gone a couple of times and said it was pretty cool but wasn't interesting enough to go anymore...
    At the time Steve Kinser was qualifying for the CB A-main the race was not yet 10 years old and not yet a prestigious national icon event. However, Kinser got his shot at the real big time (NASCAR Cup) just after 3 years of running in the top 3 (one 2nd and two 3rds) at CB. I doubt those good CB finishes influenced Kenny Bernstein all that much so it may just be a coincidence.

Davenport's accomplishments over the past couple of years are impressive amongst the dirt late model ranks to be sure. However, Larson has won big races while driving 6 different types of cars, midgets, winged 360 sprint cars, wingless 410 sprint cars, winged 410 sprint cars and USAC Silver Crown Dirt Cars. 7 when ya' throw in the Daytona Prototype win at The Rolex 24. He also won all 3 A-main features of USAC's national touring divisions, midgets, 410 sprints & Silver Crown ALL THE SAME NIGHT at Eldora! THAT's what got him a ride in a Cup car where the real money and fame is. Not taking anything away from what Davenport has done, but let's be realistic, he's not in a category with Larson, Rico or Bell. Winning big in diverse array of race cars turns heads. Period. And running well and winning CB is just another big feather in the hat.

Larson and Rico would 've made to NASCAR with out the chili bowl just like Bobby Pierce, and yes superman now that impressive
    Yes, Larson and Rico and even Chris Bell would all have got their shot at the big time with or without winning or running well at The Chili Bowl. But can the same be said for Tim McCreadie? It was the national exposure of winning one of the 2 biggest and most prestigious dirt races of the year that helped a LOT.

Disagree on McCreadie... he was hammer down long before he did the CB deal....

Disagree all ya' want but what got him the NASCAR ride was in large part because he won one of the 2 biggest dirt races of the year. Too bad he couldn't have kept the NASCAR ride. I like McCreadie because he's been relatively successful in completely different persuasions of racing but it was The Chili Bowl win that gave him the most name recognition among a wider spectrum of race fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    Why dont Nascrap jus putem on a 2 bbl carb and see where that goes. Fans want close racing but it has gotten out of control
    I say lose the rear spoiler, skinny up the tires about 2 inches, Cut the banking down 3 or 4 degrees and ditch the plates! It needs to be where you have to lift off, then we'll see who has the biggest stones.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

Neither belong in NASCAR and both are only there due to Gimmicks. Larson is NASCARS diversity golden boy for being a jap and with Rico it is obvious. Neither will make it in the sport long term and Larson is already on the way out. The clock is ticking...

LOL, I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart50 View Post
    Neither belong in NASCAR and both are only there due to Gimmicks. Larson is NASCARS diversity golden boy for being a jap and with Rico it is obvious. Neither will make it in the sport long term and Larson is already on the way out. The clock is ticking...
    Now that's funny right there, Larsons only problem he's with the wrong team. I will listen to Jeff Gordon on this one and yesterday Gordon said Larson is very good driver.
    Now as far as Ricco there was no doubt he can wheel a midget and a sprint car and I have no doubt he will do just fine in NASCAR as long as he's givin the time to adjust.
    Yes you said the gimmick as you called him wouldn't win the chili bowl and he did.
    Larson would have made it to NASCAR with or without the diversity program.

You're right Kid, with or without any diversity nonsense Larson was destined for a legitimate shot at NASCAR.

Kyle Larson has a dirt resume' that exceeds comparison to almost everyone and is comparable to anyone over the past 20 years. I'm just very thankful we got to witness some of his most impressive accomplishments!!