Thread: shock question

Default shock question

looking to upgrade my shock package, question is does the modern rocket shock package compare to what all others are doing, mbh, warrior, grt, 29', ect. can buy shocks valved for rockets all day long curios what the shock guys on here think, thanks

some cars tend to like more aggressive package vs others ( ex, I have always found rockets like to be ratcheted to the track were a pierce car seems to like to move around a little more, opinion)... I would say more importantly get with someone and explain the tracks you run on, rule package and your driving preferences. that's is more the reason this sport needs shock guys, not that they have magic but the can build stuff to fit your needs. I try to watch video of guys that im building for so I can pick up there habits (cushion runner, crawl around the tires, gas stomper etc.) everyone is different so you need to collect as much data, within reason, on a driving end to better package the shock. pm me if I can help
    JR
    Shock first technologies

Quote Originally Posted by gatorade View Post
    some cars tend to like more aggressive package vs others ( ex, I have always found rockets like to be ratcheted to the track were a pierce car seems to like to move around a little more, opinion)... I would say more importantly get with someone and explain the tracks you run on, rule package and your driving preferences. that's is more the reason this sport needs shock guys, not that they have magic but the can build stuff to fit your needs. I try to watch video of guys that im building for so I can pick up there habits (cushion runner, crawl around the tires, gas stomper etc.) everyone is different so you need to collect as much data, within reason, on a driving end to better package the shock. pm me if I can help
    JR
    Shock first technologies
    Very good points. Different cars have very different motion ratios on all 4 corners and this impacts dampening needs a great deal. Good "shock guys" are also very good setup guys and ultimately that means great communications. My guy asks me VERY good questions and gets information out of me that I would otherwise not be able to articulate. A good relationship with a good shock expert is the best time/money you will every spend.

Do some research on the ole Interweb, look at Penske's site, and Bilstien. They have alot of information there on how a shock works, in general. You can learn the differences between Digressive, and Linear valving, what bleeds do etc. You can learn how a double adjustable shock really works etc.

Knowledge is key with shocks.

Just say no...

Just give me a call and I can go over it with you if your going to get a Warrior Race Car and want to run your Rocket shock package. MOST of it depends on where you are racing and how the driver's style fits the shock package. I've got guys winning on stuff that's just like a rocket then I've got guys winning on something totally different and all drive the same year model Warrior race car.

Mike Nuchols @ Warrior Race Cars

thanks guys, ill try to give you my problem, I own a grt, I drove a rocket for a season and a half and also drove off and on a warrior. the warrior and grt tend to like you being mad at them the harder you run the better they work, the blue rocket with the berlin rf and canister lr tended to like being drove straight and not over driven.[ not my style ] I have m2 afcos and like them, deciding weather to send them out or buy another set and like I said rocket package is every where. thanks again I prefer the warrior.
    Last edited by rakracing; 01-25-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: for the record