Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driver question: 3 wheel vs 4 wheel brake

Ok drivers, what percentage do you run 3 wheel brake versus 4 wheel brake?

I've only turned mine on 2-3 times in 8 years of driving late models. But know guys that run it every time out

Depends on track and how much I can trailbrake, I normally run more front brake with RF shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Depends on track and how much I can trailbrake, I normally run more front brake with RF shut off.
    Do you have a shut off or proportioning valve?

I've never liked the feeling of just three wheels. But, I think there's something to be said for not shutting the RF off completely but rather reducing it (like with a smaller piston caliper). There's only so much you can ask your RF tire to do and with today's set-ups were asking a lot of our RF.

I only use mine as a bandaid when I'm already on the track and need the car to turn with the brakes

not for all tracks but if your running 4 wheel chances are your to free for the most part,but you shouldn't have to slam on them to get it to turn either
    Last edited by grt74; 01-27-2016 at 06:29 PM.

I never run 4 wheel. I should just take caliper and everything off the RF. I have run it maybe a handful of laps. When I started racing I ran it like that and never really tryed 4 wheel much

Even some guys that work for Wilwood will tell you that the round thing in front of the driver is for turning the race car and if you need the brakes to turn it then your car is too tight. Not saying they are right or wrong. I know for a fact that many top touring drivers are ALWAYS on 3-wheel. Interesting topic.

If you need to learn how to trail brake go out with the RF shut off.

I've turned my 4 wheel brake on one time... worst lap of my life.

I always stay on three wheel brake even if the track goes black slick like a few do around the East TN area. If it's really slick, I'll dial some of the brakes to the front a few rounds but I'd much rather be on 3 wheel brake. I might say different if I move up to steelheads or supers, but that's my experience with a crate.

Now understand that I'm only playing devil's advocate here and not trying to start an argument. But if your car won't turn with 4-wheel brake, is that not an indication that the car is too tight?
    Again, not trying to start an argument as I know there are traveling guys that never use 4-wheel. Just trying to engage a different thought process.

At Volusia last year bloomer said he had to run 3 wheel brake and when your doing that, not going anywhere

Was at a test session the other day an a DLM driver who teaches schools and is very well looked up to for his driving skill had my guy running 3 wheel to the brake bias full rear in a very slick slick condition so it would not lock up the left front an cause the front end to scoot across the center while braking on entry.... so it's all in when to use it. Think on this the way we run these cars now if the RF tire stops turning it causes the car to push so why not keep the RF that has most of the cars load on entry an center rolling along with the car..

Mike @Warrior Race Cars
    Last edited by 3wheelinphotos; 01-28-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelinphotos View Post
    Was at a test session the other day an a DLM driver who teaches schools and is very well looked up to for his driving skill had my guy running 3 wheel to the rear in a very slick slick condition so it would not lock up the left front an cause the front end to scoot across the center while braking on entry.... so it's all in when to use it. Think on this the way we run these cars now if the RF tire stops turning it causes the car to push so why not keep the RF that has most of the cars load on entry an center rolling along with the car..

Mike @Warrior Race Cars
    Good point. I'm thinking of "traction circle" now as applied to the RF instead of just the rear tires. Definitely something to be said for how the cars drive and steer off of the RF much more than they did 20 years ago.

So you are saying he had rear bias and rf off?

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelinphotos View Post
    Was at a test session the other day an a DLM driver who teaches schools and is very well looked up to for his driving skill had my guy running 3 wheel to the rear in a very slick slick condition so it would not lock up the left front an cause the front end to scoot across the center while braking on entry.... so it's all in when to use it. Think on this the way we run these cars now if the RF tire stops turning it causes the car to push so why not keep the RF that has most of the cars load on entry an center rolling along with the car..

Mike @Warrior Race Cars

run my mod like that for years. RF shut off and all rear brake, and trailbraked car.

this last year I put a smaller piston caliber on RF, and ran 4 wheel brakes.
    had to kind of learn to drive entry a bit again.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

7uptruckracer Sorry for leaving that out. Yes he went full rear bias so the trail braking would turn the car and less wheel input would be needed and that would make the guy less likely to sheer tire contact on very very slick track

Matt49 most def. have to tweek the thinking of how traction is applied to the tires now vs 20 years ago. Most of the time its hard for a older driver to adapt to the way we run Late Models with 3wheel being used a lot and car on RF vs RR in the corner

Mike Nuchols @ Warrior Race Cars

My background was from asphalt road racing where I learned to trail brake alot. Being smooth in the slick to me is a seat time deal. I just like the way the car rotates in on 3 wheel (with some bias on the LF) with me trail braking into the corner. I've got a friend who can't stand to be on 3 wheel and runs his car on 4 wheel all the time.

I've almost always run 4 wheel in the slick, only close rf in the wet and nights when theres a big cushion usually 50/50 on the front to rear especially at the start of feature, if you have to miss a crash on heavy braking with 3 wheel you cant go right. the fastest night are when you don't use the brakes at all , josh richards told me he uses 3 wheel all the time but don't use the brakes.