Default Golden Isles Speedway Super Bowl

Can anyone give me some insight on this event......car counts, type of track?Never been and don't want to waste an 8 hour trip and money.Thanks!

GIS is a great facility. Its a big and fast half mile but has some pretty good racing. Great site lines. They just installed new grandstand seating with all seats having a chair back (seats removed from Daytona). The Lucas Oil Series count should be exceptional this year since no other track is against them. Easily 35-45 cars I would think. The Modifieds should also have an excellent field with the Southeastern Dirt Modified Series. I think you will be well pleased and get your time and money's worth.

If you do the Facebook thing definitely go check out their photos Golden Isles Speedway Park is the official page. Also check out the SEDMS Series page that has virtual drivers list of those expected.

Plenty to see and do while not racing also. Only a short drive to Jekyll Island and St. Simons Island among many attractions.

Last I heard on the modifieds was high 50s, low 6os as far as car count..........that's stout.

Should be a great event overall.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I used to hate that place but had a great time last year, racing was much better, it is a super fast track. Bring plenty of warm clothes, have about froze there more than once!!!

One night at last year's Super Bowl the show was finished and we were back at the camper at 9:30. Great racing, well-run program, very helpful staff.

We second the thought about warm clothes. Over the years we've been rained out, iced out, fogged out, snowed out.......BUT we keep going back!

That fogged out one took years off my life Gov.

Kelley, that was really something strange.

It was Leebo who talked us into going to Brunswick the first time. His words were "Oh, y'all gotta go. It is a FAST racetrack...faster than Gaffney." This was way back before they shortened Gaffney and Brunswick, and before Brunswick went to clay. Lee could hardly wait for us to see the supers run on that big old black track, and he got such a kick out of our reactions our first time there.

Speeds in the 150/160 +range is what I've heard from back then..........is that close?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

If memory serves me right, Ivedent Lloyd held the fastest lap there which was actually on the high banked red clay (post black oil period) before they shortened the track. I believe his average speed was 143 MPH that night, maybe 4-5 years ago.

Anybody remember Barefoot that worked at the track? Never seen him in shoes, an there was some frosty nights too! Talking about the speeds at the track when it was oil,super fast was a understatement , they were 150+straight away speeds .
    Last edited by GA-DIRT; 01-29-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Speeds in the 150/160 +range is what I've heard from back then..........is that close?
    Use to have a sign stating, "Home of the 172MPH Back straight!" I went back in 98' & 99' and it was freaky fast! It had a peanut oil surface that was black and hard like asphalt and had lines painted on the surface. The speeds were cool, but the racing is better now I think.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.