Default The Voice Of NASCAR, Barney Hall, Passes Away

I posted this on the late model page but thought this sad news warranted posting here, as well.

Sad news, indeed.

Longtime broadcaster Barney Hall, known as the definitive radio voice of NASCAR, has died. He was 83.

In my opinion Barney Hall was one of the 1/2 dozen best sports announcers of all time. That includes all sports. I would put Mr. Hall in the category of Sid Collins, Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen, Di ck Enberg and Chick Hearn.

Mr. Hall was extremely insightful, very respectful of the sport, covered each competitor equally and fairly in accordance to the situation. And, he wasn't a screamer like some racing announcers tend to be these days. He reported that facts as they unfolded on the racetrack and left all the BS where it belongs.

Barney Hall and Sid Collins were partially responsible for making auto racing what it is on the national level.

Rest In Peace Mr. Hall.

Rip barney hall.

Will be missed

Allen Bestwick said it best. Bestwick related this story while speaking at a ceremony honoring Barney Hall. Bestwick said he and Mr. Hall were having dinner one evening very early in Bestwick's career. Bestwick said that at the very beginning of their conversation that night Mr. Hall told him that it's okay to show class and dignity.

I'm thinking we need a lot more people taking heed of that kind of advice these days in sports and in every day living. Typical Barney Hall advise, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I posted this on the late model page but thought this sad news warranted posting here, as well. Sad news, indeed. Longtime broadcaster Barney Hall, known as the definitive radio voice of NASCAR, has died. He was 83. In my opinion Barney Hall was one of the 1/2 dozen best sports announcers of all time. That includes all sports. I would put Mr. Hall in the category of Sid Collins, Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen, Di ck Enberg and Chick Hearn. Mr. Hall was extremely insightful, very respectful of the sport, covered each competitor equally and fairly in accordance to the situation. And, he wasn't a screamer like some racing announcers tend to be these days. He reported that facts as they unfolded on the racetrack and left all the BS where it belongs. Barney Hall and Sid Collins were partially responsible for making auto racing what it is on the national level. Rest In Peace Mr. Hall.
    Ditto! What did you think of Chris Economaki? He seem to pick up on stuff that everyone else missed.

My personal opinion of Chris is he was the absolute best racing interviewer I ever saw. He was a great PA announcer, as well. Chris Economaki has no equal when it comes to interviewing people. He wasn't looking to get the interviewee all fired up but he asked the questions that listeners or viewers wanted asked. He was the master.

I once met Chris at the Indiana State Fairgrounds while we were attending the Hoosier Hundred USAC Silver Crown race on the Friday evening prior to the Indy 500. This was many years prior to Chris passing away. He was already in his late 70's but sharp as a tack and as cordial as could be. He was all by himself buying a hot dog and a Coke. I'm not an autograph hound and seldom ask for one, and didn't ask Chris for his but I wish now that I had.