Default Put this one on your list for the 2nd weekend of March - You won't be disappointed!

Make that the THIRD weekend of March now. Too much rain this week...

**6th annual PELICAN 100** at 'The Land of 3-wide', Ark-La-Tex Speedway!

$10,000 to win, $800 to start, NO entry fee and ONE WHALE OF A RACE!!!

Last edited by hook; 03-08-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Is that place still opened? Seemed like they were "rained out' every race last year. Hope they have a goodbyear too many tracks are closing sad

Never been, have it on my calendar as a maybe, wow that pay really drops off fast. I think I will pass and not make the 7 hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    Is that place still opened? Seemed like they were "rained out' every race last year. Hope they have a goodbyear too many tracks are closing sad
    Ark-La-Tex Speedway is beginning it's 12th consecutive season with the same owner-promoter so... we're good!

No doubt it was a tough weather year last season. Pelican 100 was snowed out twice in early 2015. Trying two weeks later this year. The COMP Cams Doug Murphrey Memorial -- our $10,000 to win Modified race -- was also rained out last year along with the Lucas Oil Late Model race and both USMTS weekends. USMTS has moved to the last weekend of February this year so they'll be here in 4 weeks. The Pelican and Doug Murphrey Memorial are back on the schedule along with a dozen other events in 2016 though. We did get in big events last year for Stock Cars and Sport Mods and also got in a COMP Cams Super Dirt Series Late Model show as well as a SUPR Late Model race. They were won by former Pelican 100 champions Timothy Culp and Ray Moore.

Still the same great three-wide racing. Videos available. If you need links, just ask.
    Last edited by hook; 01-28-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach51
    Never been, have it on my calendar as a maybe, wow that pay really drops off fast. I think I will pass and not make the 7 hour drive.
    First thing I would do, is find somebody who's been here then. Talk to any fan who's seen it or any driver who's raced a Pelican 100. I'll take my chances with whatever they want to tell you. If you trust media guys like Ben Shelton, Trenton Berry, Webb Dillard or Richard Ford, you can ask them too.

On the pay, unless your talking Eldora, Cotton Pickin' 100, etc. or Lucas or WoO, you ain't finding much that pays better within 10 hours of us so unless you're a top Lucas/WoO team, your expectations might be high as to what you can leave a DLM race with. We aren't hiding anything. There's the payout above. No entry fees. Good tire rule. Great tire wear. Excellent racing, minimal cautions & crashes. Easy on equipment. Good place to learn about your car for the year with a 100-lap feature to test it out if you make it in.

You're 7 hours? Jesse Stovall pulled 7 hours in 2012 and won it. Both Moyers are 5 hours away and they've run it. Terry English has been down from Kentucky, Dane Dacus from Tennessee and even had Mike Balcaen down from Canada for a Pelican one year.

I stand by the thread title... "You won't be disappointed."
    Last edited by hook; 01-28-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Did you see the full payout somewhere? Because $800 to start for a $10K race is very good. Most unsanctioned $10K races pay $500-$600 to start, WoO races pay $700, and Lucas is the only one that pays $800.

Now I can't speak for what it pays from 2nd on back because I haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitboard View Post
    Did you see the full payout somewhere? Because $800 to start for a $10K race is very good. Most unsanctioned $10K races pay $500-$600 to start, WoO races pay $700, and Lucas is the only one that pays $800.

Now I can't speak for what it pays from 2nd on back because I haven't seen it.
    It was on there but the photobucket website is down so it ain't showing up at the moment. It does drop fast to third. But $36,000+ purse for a place that just sits 1000 people is about as much as we can do down here. It's part of the reason why we can't do Lucas Oil/WoO shows here. Risk vs. reward on something with that big of a purse just doesn't make sense for us. SUPR and COMP Cams SDS run one night shows in these parts with $100 entry fees that pay $2000-2500 to win and $300-400 to start so we feel this is good, even for 100 laps. 100 laps at our quarter-mile is not excessive. In fact, it's pure fun.

Again... ask anyone who's run here.

800 to start, 22 spots.
    Last edited by hook; 01-29-2016 at 11:08 AM.

I wasn't trying to dog the race, I'm sure it's nice $800 to start is great. But I want to see a race to win not a bunch of guys trying to get start money. I guess I'm alone though.

Tracks nowadays want to drag in cars by teasing start money, and the cars bring wives and kids and back gate money. I want to see a race where it pays nothing past 10th and $25,000 to win. Then your real racers will show up.

And again, I'm sure I'm wrong and feel free to blow me up, but that is my opinion.

EVERY video I have seen of Ark-la-tex has had top-to-bottom racing the entire race. Including the Pelican 100s. It looks like one of the most raciest tracks there is. When the Supers are still running on top on lap 100, that's a sign of a supertrack.

In the past, they have had strong fields of 40+ supers for this race. This place is 900 miles away and on my list of must-see tracks. Hopefully this year, the weather cooperates. 3 more hours to Dallas and Six Flags is open the entire following week, so that should be a nice "spring break" trip.

Default Wth

I wasn't trying to dog the race, I'm sure it's nice $800 to start is great. But I want to see a race to win not a bunch of guys trying to get start money. I guess I'm alone though.

Tracks nowadays want to drag in cars by teasing start money, and the cars bring wives and kids and back gate money. I want to see a race where it pays nothing past 10th and $25,000 to win. Then your real racers will show up.

And again, I'm sure I'm wrong and feel free to blow me up, but that is my opinion.
    You really think the real racers will race for chance at nothing if not in top 10? Your 1st comment showed ignorance, your 2nd one proved it! Even hobby racers need money to continue. Racing is still treated as a business even if a hobby. Just pure economics. I've driven truck past place and wished was racing cause I'd of stopped. Place looked racey from highway

You are entitled to your opinion. I hope you would be happy watching 10-car fields then, because nobody else would be able to keep racing if they all paid like that.

But I don't want to hijack this thread - it's about the Pelican 100, and it pays about the same as an average $10K to win race through the top-10, and a little better than most to start. In an area where there are no other races that pay that much. And Yes, the racing is usually very good there. This track and the promotion team have worked very hard on this event, I've been able to tell that from 1500 miles away, for the past several years. I hope they get good weather this year, a good car count, a good crowd, and have another great race!

this is one of the best race weekends all season. the track is awesome, and the racing is as good as any track in the nation. I was there when bub McCool and moyer sr passed each other for the lead lap after lap, one of the best races I have ever seen. bub won the 10k that night. this event is a must see.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

The pay is suppose to drop off fast. This isn't Little League and everyone doesn't get a trophy. Easy solution is to run up front, if you cant do that then maybe you should only run local shows.

REscheduled for March 18th and 19th now!

Quick jackin' these guys around, Zach. It ain't the drive. It's because you're comin' up to County Line that weekend.

I don't want to hijack the thread either, so everyone in the area, head on out for the Pelican race. I'm sure it will be a great show!

Quote Originally Posted by hook View Post
    REscheduled for March 18th and 19th now!
    Team 32b (Clay Daly) was planning on towing out from Cali to this race. Tore up a bunch of stuff under the car when the lift arm broke in Bakersfield this last Sat. I'll call Pete and let him know it's been rescheduled. Thanks Hook.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    Team 32b (Clay Daly) was planning on towing out from Cali to this race. Tore up a bunch of stuff under the car when the lift arm broke in Bakersfield this last Sat. I'll call Pete and let him know it's been rescheduled. Thanks Hook.
    Your welcome and it would be great to have you here! Wow, THAT's a TOW!