Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What will be done now?

Now that it's been proved that those lowly thought of IMCA type cars with hard tires and those cheap crate motors can not only be competitive but win against NASCAR engineering and $20k+ engines, what line of crap will UMP have now for not doing something to help the racers?

He was using the ump tire and still smoked em. 22nd to 4th in 10 laps and over a second lead for the win on a tacky track.

Good run. Did he get a weight break for running a crate?

No weight breaks. Are we for sure he was on a A-H tire? I'm asking, I've yet to see fact yet.

http://sunstatemodtour.com/info/rules/ I wonder how those rules would work at other tracks East bay is suppose to be quite different
    Last edited by old fan; 01-31-2016 at 10:54 AM.

For these SunShine State events, UMP is allowing the crates a 5" spoiler though..

I don't know but the other tracks on this tour probably wouldn't be that bad either. Now Volusia I believe would be a whole different deal though. Takes a ton of motor there. Has for years

Looks like Harris Auto Racing might be getting be getting busy

From what I have read, the conditions were nearly perfect for the situation. Track was very Dry-Slick which is a horsepower equalizer. He ran the bottom the whole race while the Open Motors were mostly on top bouncing off the cushion. But you sure cannot take away the fact that he had the right set-up and more importantly drove from the back to the front.

All it did was to let the dreamers "can't afford to race" dream some more!
    I absolutely know what I am talking about!

So a guy pulls his car all the way to Florida, races his car, drives a great race, and wins; and you equate that to him being a dreamer that can't afford to race? Back to productive conversation here, I would say that win in that fashion would be nearly impossible if there was moisture in the track providing more bite. However, it is impressive for anyone to get a victory in any race. And that was a well deserved win.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrace09 View Post
    So a guy pulls his car all the way to Florida, races his car, drives a great race, and wins; and you equate that to him being a dreamer that can't afford to race? Back to productive conversation here, I would say that win in that fashion would be nearly impossible if there was moisture in the track providing more bite. However, it is impressive for anyone to get a victory in any race. And that was a well deserved win.
    No, I was referring to a few wannabe racers on here!
    I absolutely know what I am talking about!

Let's face it car counts have been dwindling the last few years so, let's hope all those wanna be's as you call them can afford to race because the sport needs all they can get so, if they do figure out a way to make more affordable so that more racers can race so, be it we should all be for that.

I was there at the race (not in the stands) Standing with several well qualified engine builders. We all said the same thing at the same time. " That thing doesnt sound like any crate I ever heard" The bottom was very tacky, middle and top were slick as ice. So how does 400+ hp pull 700+ off the corner on a tacky track with UMP tires? Its not because of a 5" spoiler. You could put all the hp you had to the track if you were on the bottom. Not saying anything, but just saying, Hummmmm...........

I think he ran 5th last night. Another good run. From what i have seen on the internet out west the mods are very competitive with the crate and a spoiler?. I thought when ump took the spoilers off they would be following the same path. More racers and possible money from GM. The only problem is they don't have any real tech.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQQ View Post
    I was there at the race (not in the stands) Standing with several well qualified engine builders. We all said the same thing at the same time. " That thing doesnt sound like any crate I ever heard" The bottom was very tacky, middle and top were slick as ice. So how does 400+ hp pull 700+ off the corner on a tacky track with UMP tires? Its not because of a 5" spoiler. You could put all the hp you had to the track if you were on the bottom. Not saying anything, but just saying, Hummmmm...........
    What I suspected all along. UMP doesn't tech anything but body panels so he could have had a full-blown LSX motor with seals on it claiming it was a crate and who would have known the difference?

What the heck are you talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by blueracer11 View Post
    What I suspected all along. UMP doesn't tech anything but body panels so he could have had a full-blown LSX motor with seals on it claiming it was a crate and who would have known the difference?
    I was at the Tech shed when he pulled in. They looked at the tires and under the car to verify mufflers and let him pull out. So I think UMP teched it better than they usually do.

It had IMCA seals too

You naysayers clearly don't even know the man, he's a straight shooter all the way. Hell, he promotes 3 tracks and is race director at a 4th, you really think he's a cheater? Fact is he's a hard driving wheel man and he beat the big boys on the right night.