Thread: Roll Center

Default Roll Center

Roll Center? Right/left? Above/below? How much? What's the rule of thumb? 3400 lbs metric car.

Static RC isnt as important as Dynamic RC. You need to know where your RC is moving towards under suspension load. You can map the static on paper but you will need a program to understand the Dynamic. Keeping the Dynamic from moving all over the place is the key. A well designed front end will keep the Dynamic in a 5" area from static. So bottom line is to have a more stable and consistent setup. You wont have that with big Dynamic swings. 4" above is a good generic start, left of center will get over on the right easier. Remember under Dynamic load your RC will be moving to the right, so if your design kept that movement to 5" and at static it was centered, you would end up 5" to the right. If you want to get over on the right more start the static a couple inches to the left or vice versa. I hope you can follow that.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

I follow it very well! Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Racer96m View Post
    Static RC isnt as important as Dynamic RC. You need to know where your RC is moving towards under suspension load. You can map the static on paper but you will need a program to understand the Dynamic. Keeping the Dynamic from moving all over the place is the key. A well designed front end will keep the Dynamic in a 5" area from static. So bottom line is to have a more stable and consistent setup. You wont have that with big Dynamic swings. 4" above is a good generic start, left of center will get over on the right easier. Remember under Dynamic load your RC will be moving to the right, so if your design kept that movement to 5" and at static it was centered, you would end up 5" to the right. If you want to get over on the right more start the static a couple inches to the left or vice versa. I hope you can follow that.

Dave
    Can you recommend a user friendly roll center program?

Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by routierracing View Post
    Can you recommend a user friendly roll center program?
    I use the Race Wise software. I like it, but I wouldnt recommend it to the average racer. Its 3D so that complicates everything with all the X,Y and Z axis measurements. You only need 2D to understand whats going on and its infinitely easier to set up and use. Chassis R&D makes some easy to use 2D software "Advanced Chassis Geometry " that will show static and Dynamic RC, just might be the best $100 bucks you ever spent.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Performance trends has a wide range of programs.

http://www.auto-ware.com/software/asgp/asgp.htm

I HAVE THE ONE FROM R+D WITH LOTS OF DUST ON IT

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    http://www.auto-ware.com/software/asgp/asgp.htm I HAVE THE ONE FROM R+D WITH LOTS OF DUST ON IT
    Dust on it because you didn't like it or ?