Thread: motor question

Default motor question

How would a motor run, or would it run at all,, if the intake valve on #7 cylinder is not sealing? When i pump air into the cylinder to change valve springs, the air is going past the intake valve blowing out the carb. I put everything back together just hoping it was just a piece of carbon or something but the car ran like (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) and had trouble keeping it running. I thought it would just kind of pop and snap, but it didnt at all. just had trouble running and sounded like (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)

if this isn't a sealed crate engine id be pulling the heads and looking for a bent valve, where you having a issue that you where changing springs

It is a crate motor that i have not run yet. i was just changing over to the updated beehives. did a compression check,, 60lbs on that cylinder,, not good

is this engine new, or used that you haven't run ,if its new did anything fall down the intake . you could try air in the cyl and spin the valve with out the spring on . make sure the pistons all the way up, if its used think I know why they sold it.

used, but supposed to have 6-7 nights. said they won the feature last time out with it! i tried everything, now its time to take it out and go to the certified rebuilder

I'm not familiar with Crate rules but I assume you can't even take the intake off? Are there any automotive repair shops in your area? Bore scopes/cameras are pretty popular now. If you have to take it out anyway you could run by a shop and have a guy remove the plug and look around in there. Buy him lunch or a beer. Might help knowing the issue going into any repairs.