Thread: tall car

Default tall car

I am 6'3" and 250ish looking to get a late model who make the tallest car. Try a 02 rocket and an older shaw. I had room but real tight. Not real comfortable with my helmet but right at the halo bar for height.

Good question, especially in light of LOLMDS new rule stating an actual number (38"). Other series/organizations are sure to follow. Looks like Swartz cars have a very tall cage. On their webpage it says they raised the halo 3 1/2", but I have no idea what they originally were.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 02-16-2016 at 03:05 PM.

I am 6' tall and in my swartz with the seat in the lower position can barely see out of it. Lots of head room.

Swartz car here. I'm 6'2" with plenty of head room. Like ZeroRacing said I could actually raise my seat up to see better if needed.

You would have no problem in a rocket with tall cage, pedals forward.

^^^ Funny you mention pedals forward. I moved mine forward 1 1/2" for this year, but I have an old MasterSbilt. With the way Rocket interiors (tub) are designed, it looks like the master cylinders are always "outside" the drivers compartment (i.e. - the pedal assembly must be right against the front of the tub). How are you able to move the pedals forward with that being the case?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    ^^^ Funny you mention pedals forward. I moved mine forward 1 1/2" for this year, but I have an old MasterSbilt. With the way Rocket interiors (tub) are designed, it looks like the master cylinders are always "outside" the drivers compartment (i.e. - the pedal assembly must be right against the front of the tub). How are you able to move the pedals forward with that being the case?
    Rocket builds cars with longer (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits/foot boxes and they also build cars with taller cages. Post an ad on the classified sections and one might show up

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Obviously the Rockets use different pedal assemblies than MasterSbilt (forward mount versus reverse mount). But I'm with you, I don't see how you could move the pedals forward without moving the front of the tub. Unless we're just talking about using the threading of the piston shafts to fine tune where the pedal ends up.

The tub is moved towards the front of the car. They call it an extended foot box

I am 6'3" had an older Masters, tight fit. It was about 36" floor to cage. Some 2009 and all (I think)2010 and newer MasterSbilt are around 38". That made a huge difference for me. In the last few years a lot of brands have went to taller cage. Rocket, Longhorn, Capital, probably many more. I think the Swartz is even a little taller than the rest.

^^^ The last time I was at MasterSbilt, Keith showed me their newest chassis (I forget the name of it) but he pointed out they even "widened" and "lengthened" the driver's compartment by 1" each way. Doesn't sound like a lot but there's only so much room to go in those directions as it is. I also lean my seat over to the left considerably (1" spacer under the right side), which has helped greatly with fatigue, but because of that my noggin' was pretty close to the halo on the left.

Older racer by me always turned seat to the left. before shoulder supports and containment seats became the norm. Got you laying your back into the corner instead of your side.

My 95 shaw late model had considerably lower cage than say 2003 rocket. Was tough to get 12 inch window opening with standard late model side panels. I think since the spring behind era, the trend has been toward taller cages.

I'm 6'2. I drove a 2012 mastersbuilt smackdown for a guy a few times a few years ago and there was a serious lack of head room. Only an inch or so. I just bought a 2010 Rayburn and I've got a ton of head room. At least 6".