Thread: Mopar Power

Default Mopar Power

This is just an interesting topic I was talking with someone about last weekend. Is anyone at all running a Mopar Powered SLM on a National/Regional or even a local level? A quick search on google reveals that it is possible to make a powerful mopar motor, and there is some discussion but nothing ever materialized, and nobody referenced any engine builders associated with DLM racing who are making them.

Larry Wallace made dodge motors for Epj a while back, but haven't really heard of anybody else running nationally with them........

There is a local guy that runs around the Carolina's named Sean Harrell that has a Larry Wallace power plant in his super I believe......or at least did.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Steve Francis did in the 2003 to 2006 range, Ray Cook around that time or a little later. EPJ was the last one I remember running one "nationally", and that has been at least 5 years ago? My years are just estimates from memory, I'm sure you could investigate and get more accurate. There are probably a few local guys that got the good stuff cheap from those guys and still run them but I don't know of any for sure. I think Stanton did some of the Mopar stuff and maybe Larry Wallace.

Brian Lowery races at Bedford speedway in PA. He runs a Mopar in the limited late model class and does pretty well. I believe it is a 360

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    This is just an interesting topic I was talking with someone about last weekend. Is anyone at all running a Mopar Powered SLM on a National/Regional or even a local level? A quick search on google reveals that it is possible to make a powerful mopar motor, and there is some discussion but nothing ever materialized, and nobody referenced any engine builders associated with DLM racing who are making them.
    GARY STANTON. He specializes in Mopar, he built most of Steve Francis and Ray Cooks Mopar motors and then Ernie Elliott came along near the end and did some of the head work. I don't know of anyone nationally running them now. I wouldnt mess with the Nascar designed stuff as its harder to find cranks for that give you enough stroke, but the W9 stuff is awesome in the right hands. Jonathan davenport drove for a team in the mid 2000's that ran Mopar and they would flat EAT!!! Once the economy tanked and the Dodge Nascar resurgence lost momentum and faded, all the factory monetary support dried up, but they still make some really cool potent stuff. I hope to incorporate one of Gary's creations into my program very $oon.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

We have a guy here in MI runs one. Can't think of his name right now. Really isn't a front runner at his weekly track. Smaller budget guy.

I bought a 396 SBM last fall. Needs some repair but it has real good parts. It's a 360 block with W2 heads, Mopar intake, port matched... With a 20 year old Mopar flat tap pet cam it clocked 575 HP... Should see north of 600 with a modern grind. The lifter bank angle on a stock block is tuff on roller lifters if you spin em more than 7000. The race blocks have a 48 degree angle which works better. Other than that they work good... Have a 50mm cam bore, room for a 4 1/4 " stroke, 904 lifters, shaft rockers...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Is one reason they dont run them much is that parts are scarce in pit area if you were needed to borrow broken motor that was repairable to still race that night or no?

Aren't they quite a bit heavier?

They are heavier the crank alone weighs 58# I think on a stock 360 .We race a clip 3 link late model car.We run chevy claimer type engine. We have a couple of mopar 360 that compete but they cost a boatload of money 6 to 8 grand our Chevy's we are putting one together now that we will have about 1200 bucks in.race ready .I think cost is the major reason people don't run them.

Moring's mopars went to Australia

Call Gary Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ128 View Post
    Steve Francis did in the 2003 to 2006 range,
    Gary Stanton built those mopar engines for Francis, and they were plenty good enough to help him win races with them.

Edit: Well looks like if I had read the rest of the messages I would have seen that Stanton has already been mentioned.

cost is not the main factor. once you get to the all aluminum level making 800 HP they all cost about the same. weight should not be a factor either as a small block dodge is 25lbs lighter than a small block chevy in factory form. Chrysler was smart enough to use a aluminum water pump and timing cover on all factory engines plus the starter is on the left side where you would want the extra weight in a dirt car. I have two of the aluminum mopar engines and race ready carb to oil pan the 456 ci weights 346 lbs and the 410 ci is 340 lbs. Gaerte and Malcuit still build some mopar engines.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    cost is not the main factor. once you get to the all aluminum level making 800 HP they all cost about the same. weight should not be a factor either as a small block dodge is 25lbs lighter than a small block chevy in factory form. Chrysler was smart enough to use a aluminum water pump and timing cover on all factory engines plus the starter is on the left side where you would want the extra weight in a dirt car. I have two of the aluminum mopar engines and race ready carb to oil pan the 456 ci weights 346 lbs and the 410 ci is 340 lbs. Gaerte and Malcuit still build some mopar engines.
    Now we're talking!!!

Draime enterprises still builds mopars I think.

I had two sets of iron heads built last year by the same shop. ... 993 Chevy and Mopar J heads. The Mopar's cost $10.00 more than the Chevy heads... $728 vs. $718.

A new Mopar R-3 iron block sells for $2600.00... Brodix heads are $1600.00 bare... Molnar forged crank $800.00... you can use GM rods... custom pistons cost the same regardless of what name is on the engine. All the rest of the stuff is pretty much the same price as a Chevy within a few dollars.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Just take a look at all the stuff you chevy guys pay extra for that all come stock on a dodge. tall deck, wider bore spacing, spread pan rails, raised cams, longer rods, larger lifter size, angle plug heads, shaft rockers, 18 degree valves, bolt in plate to hold cam in place instead of a button, no shims for distributor cause it bolts to the block not through the intake, distributor never slips cause it doesn't have to pull the oil pump, raised valve cover rails, 1/2" main and head fasteners, and a 3/4" harmonic balancer bolt that takes an 1-1/16 socket. never seen a balancer fall off of a dodge. I will say the one thing dodge did screw up on was the lifter angle. chevy did get that one right.