Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Camaro center link

When switching from a stock metric center link to a Camaro center link on a small metric car cutting the tie rod is needed, but I'm out of threads and still have 2" of toe out. Using autozone tie rods with a 1/2" shorter adjuster than a stock one! What am I missing?

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/10630271.pdf Same centerlink they just rebrand it

Basically you cut 1" off inner tie rod threads and 1" off outer tie rod threads

I have cut 3/4-1" of both inner and out tie Rods already. (Both left and right sides) The problem that i have is both adjusters run out of thread and I still have about 2" of toe out. I am even using 1/2 shorter adjusters then stock split style ones! (4" long) I should add I am running Impala spindles if that matters.

Like 7up said all you should have to do is cut an inch off tie rods it should be fine. Either the impala spindles are not gonna work with this set up or you have the wrong drag link.

Id have to back and check to see which year of Camaro center link I purchased. What year is the best to use?

82 to 92 Camaro DS1049

Pretty sure I went of a 86 Camaro. (Unless it was package wrong)

Should be around 15" center to center

Doesn't Bob Pierce sell the correct tube for this?

I called AFCO. They told me their "Camaro" center link is not to be used with impala spindles. Told me I would have to do some playing with different tie rods do be able to get the Camaro link to fit! That link is for metric spindles only!! Seems odd to me

Quote Originally Posted by Hodrod7 View Post
    I called AFCO. They told me their "Camaro" center link is not to be used with impala spindles. Told me I would have to do some playing with different tie rods do be able to get the Camaro link to fit! That link is for metric spindles only!! Seems odd to me
    Might not be a bad idea to switch over. Then you can get everything from Pierce.

25rjr what all are you recommending "switch over"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodrod7 View Post
    25rjr what all are you recommending "switch over"?
    Switch the impala spindles to metric. But I guess you have the big brakes on those impala ones?

11" rotors is what I'm running. I'd really like to stay with the impala spndle to help geometry on the uppers. But I'll weight out my options and see what's best! Thanks avert one for your help!

Whats wrong with the metric front end,with a Camaro cl, scd? I know that's what Pierce puts on his mods.

Ah hah! Kind of like the early Chevelles with the pinto spindles. Cut up too many centerlinks to make that work.

But the idler and pitman arm wasn't centered either and took a custom made center link to fix the bump steer. Of course, I am talking about 20 years ago. too.

Both idler and pitman arm should be straight with the frame?

arms should in line, but not that big of deal if they are not be but with a Metric clip the Camaro drag link does improve bump a lot.
    Impala spindle steering arm have more of a curve in them towards center than a metric.
    I recommend staying with the Impala spindles, and heating and straightening the steering arm to put it in line with lower ball joint. then weld a brace from base of spindle by ball joint out to steering arm. Will improve Ackerman, and help bump steer. will also fix your problem with the tie rod lengths. will have to do both sides.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.